Thread: positive hull report / hudson bay

Default positive hull report / hudson bay

I finally pulled my 18 hp surface drive and have the boat upside down
    under a tarp. I'm really quite impressed with how little damage there is after
    6 years. I've used the hell out of the boat. I would guess I have around 400
    hours on the hull. Tanana,Yukon,Chatanika,Tolovana,Kantishna,Toklat,N ation,
    Kandik, Charley ,Clear creek,Goldstream creek, Copper river etc. Stumps,
    every kind of vegetation imaginable,logs, log jambs, beaver dams, silt, mud,
    rocks of all sizes. Most of the damage came from tributaries of the Yukon. Some
    really shallow water years and too much ambition on some gnarly, tight
    cornered, standing waved rock gardens. Frankly, I think the hull is bombproof
    in all conditions except very shallow, very rocky rivers. Especially, sharp rocks.
    Of course this would be true of any boat. Now for the good news. The only damage
    is one 2 ft. and one 1 ft. section on the keels. Exactly where you would expect.
    Only the gel coat is gone / fiberglass is fine. The worst damage is the extreme stern.
    About 16 in. long by 1 in. wide , right where the bottom of the hull goes vertical.
    And that was caused by a boo-boo. While lining downstream on the Kandik around
    a very tight corner with bigger waves [to avoid a big rock] ,my friend momentarily
    lost the bow line and we got the boat turned sideways to the current on a rock.
    It ground on the extreme stern for 10 minutes until we got it off. Very little damage
    considering. Tomorrow I put on about 50 ft. of kevlar felt with west systems epoxy
    resin. Thats for the keels. Also, a 10 in. by 32 in. skidplate at the extreme stern.
    I think if I had done this earlier there would have been no damage. I would advise
    anyone venturing on shallow rocky rivers to prep their Scott canoe the same. They
    can do it at the factory if you're buying a new one. If you're not going to ever use the boat on these rivers I don't think you need it.

If possible, how about taking pictures of the the hull - before and after - so we can see the damage you're talking about. Much appreciated.

Rick / Maybe the word damage is a bit of an exageration. The fiberglass was not compromised anywhere. Just the gelcoat
    at the bottom of 2 of the keels for a total of 3 ft. And the sharp turn to the vertical at the stern. I know it's not exactly
    pretty , but it seems mostly cosmetic. If there were actual holes, that would seem a lot more serious to me. Very little
    "damage" considering what I've put the hull through. I'm not set up to take and post digital photos but I'm trying to find
    one of my busy friends to help.

Default show boat or workin' boat?

Sorry, man, I don't mean to be unsympathetic, but that sounds like normal wear and tear from a trip or two, and your Scott has hundreds, if not thousands of trips ahead of her.

I know I'm less sensitive to scratches than most; I probably should not have posted this.

Family man, my boat certainly wouldn't qualify as a "show boat". The hull is covered in scratches and that is just to be
    expected.My old old town appalachian has such a compromised bottom it looks like it's been dragged behind a truck on a gravel
    road for a 100 miles. My only concern is damage. I go to some remote places and don't want to get stranded!

Default Painting the rocks the same color as my hull

Quote Originally Posted by kandik View Post
    Family man, my boat certainly wouldn't qualify as a "show boat". The hull is covered in scratches and that is just to be
    expected.My old old town appalachian has such a compromised bottom it looks like it's been dragged behind a truck on a gravel
    road for a 100 miles. My only concern is damage. I go to some remote places and don't want to get stranded!
    What you describe sounds to me like a workin' boat, like mine. Its there to do its job and do it (very) well. And if I don't do my job so well, then we'll just pulll up on that sandbar and glass over the hole made by that rock right there....

Actually I've still not punctured the hull yet, but definitely have "painted" a few trouble rocks green (by rubbing my hulll on them) and one time my bow just LAUNCHED up and right; after I knew we were'nt going-over I looked left and down and saw a huge (newly green painted) rock!

The old saying says you should leave nothing in the wilds but footprints, but I leave both footprints and green paint on tall rocks. (and nothing else)