Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Notch A Successful Hunt?

Default Do You Notch A Successful Hunt?

I was just thinking how many might notch a successful hunt and where or how do you record it. Be it on your Bow or Pistol or Rifle I am sure that you may have a way to record it which reminds you of another successful hunt.

I'd never notch anything, but I treasure the scratches and scrapes honestly earned on hunts. They are a road map of a gun's life, and serve much the same purpose as your notches.

Default Defining what a successful hunt

is means something different to all of us. Ten years ago a partner of mine wanted to take me bear hunting up the Chickamin river in the Misty's. He knew I had never been there so we thought it was a great idea.

We ran only a few miles up the river and saw bear, caught fish, saw new territory, saw goats and had a great time for 3-4 days then left for home without a bear. On the way back he told me that he was sorry that we weren't successful. I told him to start with we came home alive, no injuries, saw a lot of new stuff and had a ball, it was very successful. He agreed.

A few year later he died in a boating/exposure accident. I still have all those memories of our trip.

kingfisherktn

Default Notches

I've knocked a few notches in some fine rifles never cut any though. Most of my notches are on film, for when I get old I can show the grandkids stuff they'll probably never see.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Smile notches

No notches for me, but when my son was old enough to take fishing and hunting ,I bought him a journal. He still uses it to this day, and I have mine from many hunts too that I still use. We take them with use each trip, and record in it every day .

No notches. Phots and memories. Some trips I consider succesful I didn't kill anything. It's all about the experiences. Of course, photos and memories don't taste nearly as good as fresh tenderloin.

Default yup

Every single grouse, porkie, squirrel, duck, snipe etc. My henry used to be a full stock, now it's a pistol grip

Nope, no notches but plenty of scratches, dents, pitting and other memories inadvertently added to my weapons.

The ladies though......

ps I'm kidding.

Default Pictures

No notches kept here just photos. We have put together a photo book of the animal taken and the place.

Smile Used to

I refinished a gun stock for a feller when I was in high school. It had been passed down 3 generations and it had many notches in it. I thought it was a neat idea, but was not keen on exposing the wood intentionally and besides that, through the eyes of passer-byers, it looked more like bragging than anything and I am just not that type of fellow.

So I began saving the empty casing from every kill shot I made on a whitetail buck. But then I shot one with a muzzle loader and, well...it began to get a little foolish then. I have a box blind I built when I was a kid, it sits on my Grandfather's property and I sit in it at least once every year for goodtime's sake and on the inside wall of that blind I have written down every deer I took out of that blind. Documented is the sex, size, caliber I took it with, gun I used and date I took the animal. Makes for good entertainment and anticipation rush when no action outside. My dad is fond of reading it too!

Other than that, I go for good memories, great stories and pictures (mostly before and after the kill, as that is the favorite part of the hunt for me)!

buck

Default Cute...

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    Every single grouse, porkie, squirrel, duck, snipe etc. My henry used to be a full stock, now it's a pistol grip

Nope, no notches but plenty of scratches, dents, pitting and other memories inadvertently added to my weapons.

The ladies though......

ps I'm kidding.
    I'd had to sleep in the bottom bunk of your college dormroom bed

Default Sporterized U.S. Springfield 03

A friend of ours who's Dad lived in Texas hunted there notched his old 03. I had never seen it but had heard it was well notched with memories. Some one broke in to his place a took it and it broke his heart. He ended up with a newer gun but it never replaced the ol-03 as told by his Daughter. She brought his old harmonica back to AK and gifted it to me one Christmas after his passing a few years ago. We talked about our Parents who gave us their values of hunting and gathering and what it did to shapes us as people who enjoy getting out every year to hunt or just getting out. I take pictures and save the brass. Sometimes I get lucky and find the bullet but not always as it passed through.

No notches

I have lots of photos and video these days for the grandkids. I also have a journal with photos and info from the hunts and in my alaska section I have a map with dots to show where the hunt took place.

Doug

No notches for me I work way to hard to get my firearms I keep a hunting and fishing journal.

The last time I tried to notch the synthetic stock on my rifle, the knife skipped and I cut myself.
    Pictures leave a better image in our memory...........especially as our memory fades with age!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The only thing I notch is my tag.......

Smile Kid stuff. . .

When I was in grade school, I used to notch my slingshot, a Whamo. . . true story. . .

I toss my successful brass in a bucket filled with recovered bullets and elk ivories......someday I am going to need a bigger bucket

Default No notches

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I refinished a gun stock for a feller when I was in high school. It had been passed down 3 generations and it had many notches in it. I thought it was a neat idea, but was not keen on exposing the wood intentionally and besides that, through the eyes of passer-byers, it looked more like bragging than anything and I am just not that type of fellow.
    Other than that, I go for good memories, great stories and pictures (mostly before and after the kill, as that is the favorite part of the hunt for me)!

buck
    No notches, just nicks and dings from the adventure. I keep antlers and bullets recovered from kills-thats about it. Notching seems a little too much like overt bragging imho.

Tim

Default Do I "Notch a Successful Hunt"?

Nope. Never heard of such a thing. Seems kinda strange to me...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default no notches...but

lots of photos and memories. I keep the tag with the photos and for every bird my dogs work and bring to hand successfully, I keep a tail feather in a cup on the mantle. Each dog has his/her own cup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast