Thread: new HB at the border ...

Default new HB at the border ...

Someone here mentioned in a thread that you can register a Hudson Bay, yet to be retrieved from Whitehorse, with the State of Alaska, prior to bringing it back, to make it easier to cross the border back into America. Can't find the entry. Is that correct? I already have the serial number. Thanks ....

See the registering thread below....

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Someone here mentioned in a thread that you can register a Hudson Bay, yet to be retrieved from Whitehorse, with the State of Alaska, prior to bringing it back, to make it easier to cross the border back into America. Can't find the entry. Is that correct? I already have the serial number. Thanks ....
    I could be wrong, but I think he was saying to take that hull registration # (not unlike a VIN) and go register at the Alaska DMV and get a real AK registration for it. Even bow numbers and everything. So as far as customs is concerned, this a boat returning home.

now that you have spelled out how to get arond customs on the web, you might look into what it will take to bring a canoe over the boarder, this is his canoe, I think ALASKACANOE on this website [Moderator] might give some light on it I think he has brought a few canoe's across the boarder

Like Familyman said. Take your hull number and register it at DMV. However, no worries if you don't get it done beforehand. All the border wants to know is if you purchased it for yourself and not for commercial interests. No duty fees apply for personal use. Have your receipt available and that's about all they'll ask you for. The first question will be "What are you going to use it for?" Just tell them, "To make my canoe buddies jealous."

I think you should have not problems with bringing just a personel use canoe across the border.
    and like was mentioned by Sid, the commercial end is quite different.
    You have to actually get a NAFTA number from Washington DC.
    That number is only good for one year and needs to be updated if you want to ship via canada every year.
    then you have to get a commercial broker to handle the paper work from the dealer or manufacture of the product.
    they work the details between the border folks on both sides.
    They are bonded and insured to do this and its not possible to do it yourself unless you want to become a certified commercial broker.
    Although you pay the broker a few hundred dollars for that service, you actually have to do much of the paper work yourself, or that charge goes up as a pay by the hour thing goes into effect, kinda like an attorney..
    The person that picks up the products from canada to be brought to USA needs to fax copies of the actual documents from the manufacture to the broker while in Canada. the broker will then give you a timeline, say.. 24 hrs, that you need to hit the border. If you miss the timeline, your broker to border people paperwork will be tossed out and you will need to have new papers faxed to the border.
    The packet is usually about 15 pages of documents including the vin numbers, the date of manufacture of each boat, the name of the person selling the boats, phone numbers, etc.
    Then all of your own information is in the packet also, along with the invoices and pricing. and also you have to pay Canada sales tax on the items , and then it is supposed to be sent back to you later.
    If you dont just send all of that information to the broker, and they have to track any of it down, it will be added cost.
    Then the border may take their sweet time with the processing of the paper work,.. last trip took about 2.5 hrs stopped at the border, so that was ok, but certainly not any fun.
    You will need to pay for the NAFTA number about $65 a year
    the broker about $240 and up .
    You will have to have the canoes all insured for total loss, including the trailer or vehicle of conveince.
    $230 or more.
    and all that paper work for insurance, better be with the vehicle or you get turned away.
    so its not a real financial burden, as long as you are bringing enough boats back to make it worth your time.
    It would be nice if the Dealer manufacture would do a price FOB Anchorage and take care of all that shipping stuff, but I have not found any canoe manufactures in Canada so far that offer that.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Here is one of the funny things about doing business in Canada vs. doing business in the Orient.. that is kinda strange.
    We buy boats , Inflatable from the Orient, and have them shipped to Seattle. then off loaded and go thru customs in Seattle , put back on a boat and shipped to Alaska..
    the whole process is much easier, and costs less than to buy from Canada.
    Once in a while your shipment will be held up for a few days in customs in Seattle, but seldom.. and shipping from the orient is about 1/4 the cost as shipping from Canada.
    and All I do is let UPS do the paperwork for me from the orient to Anchorage for less than 1/2 the cost of a canada/USA broker..
    so I have no idea why,, but that is how it works,,
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

As recommended, I took my HB's serial number to Ak DMV, and was able to quickly and simply register the boat. Crossing the border should be a breeze. The next issue is how to get my $250+ in Canadian General Sales Tax back. I'm sure there is a way, as long as I'm patient. I'll check the details when I'm in Whitehorse next week.

Rick. When I got my HB in Whitehorse my carpenter's eye told me something was odd about the beam.I wish I
    had checked. They had shipped me an Allagash legal. It's 4 inches narrower than the standard. Standard is 56 in.
    Allagash is 52. I've come to really like my boat anyway.The waterline beam is the same.It just has some tumblehome.