Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Reds are getting close

Default Kenai Reds are getting close

Floated the upper Kenai on Thursday and saw lots of schools of Reds in the back braids, evenly distributed from Drifters left by the big downed tree all the way to the last back braid prior to Jims. No bears this trip.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

nice can't wait!

I'm ready!

Zinker, are you on the base?

So if I understand it correctly, the red fishing on the Kenai and Russian opens June 11. Is the limit 3 or 6 fish ?
    Thanks

3 per day 3 in possession . Here are the regs http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

On your mark......

<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

i think you can fish for reds now just not on the upper. From what I have heard they are all over below the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Flii View Post
    I'm ready!

Zinker, are you on the base?

Yep, not sure how much fishing I'll be doing though gearing up for a long trip back to WA for 3 weeks, so much to do so little time. Sucks for me!

I floated saturday.....There are some fish making thier way in the upper....Schools of 10-20. Saw a dozen or so of them. Water has come up but is still very clear..
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    i think you can fish for reds now just not on the upper. From what I have heard they are all over below the lake.
    They've been caught as they move through Soldotna and Sterling at the usual spots. Swiftwater, for example. And for clarification, they aren't Kenai reds, they are Russian River reds. The big, giant runs that we dipnet later in the year are the real Kenai reds. By comparison, the Russian River run is small, which is generally why you don't have much fishing pressure on the lower river. It's kind of hit or miss on the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I floated saturday.....There are some fish making thier way in the upper....Schools of 10-20. Saw a dozen or so of them. Water has come up but is still very clear..

Did you happen to see if they were hanging in the confluence yet? Not worried about catching the reds so much, but if there's a few fish moving up the Russian the trout should be getting excited!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Did you happen to see if they were hanging in the confluence yet? Not worried about catching the reds so much, but if there's a few fish moving up the Russian the trout should be getting excited!

I did not...I talked to the kids from the AK Rec who run the russian and they said there are fish starting to stack up in the confluence though....Not tons of them but they are showing up...Either way hitting the russian for bows on opening day has always been good for me......Im floating this saturday
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I have to work this weekend but will be hitting the Russian on Monday and might hit a couple spots on the Kenai also, thanks for the updates chuck

I don't know about above skilak but below there is fish all over. As a good rule of thumb there is always fish around the upper and russian when it opens, all the way up to the falls even.

so the Russian opens on Saturday 11th, but the confluence does not open until a bit later? just checking, i know it is a highly regulated area for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich.Mck View Post
    so the Russian opens on Saturday 11th, but the confluence does not open until a bit later? just checking, i know it is a highly regulated area for a reason...
    That is correct. Once the numbers starts hitting enough then they open up the confluence

Last year was a very slow opener. It looks better this year as the testnets for kings were showing higher numbers of reds than anytime dating back to 2002 (first reported number). If they were bigger / gas was $3 / gallon a drive down to Sterling / Soldotna would have been justified this week

Count should start on the Russian soon as well. Last year was started on the 8th didn't go back to previous years

Stopped by the Russian early Monday morning on the way back from the king fisheries on the lower peninsula to take a peek at how the run is developing. Cottonwood Hole below Grayling parking lot was full of chrome sockeye. Water levels are moderate (but clear), providing plenty of volume for fish to move into the river. Might be a decent opener this year.

Good luck to all!

sweeeeeet!! thanks for the update. that gets me amped up. i want to try and hit the opener but i know by the time i get out there the parking lot will be full.. i'll have to do the park on the side of the road and bike to the grayling parking lot again.

Where is Grayling parking lot located?

in the camp ground

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast