Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dip net of choice for the copper

Default Dip net of choice for the copper

Does any one have a recommendation as far as a dip net of choice....

I have the same question. I have a 4' net from Mikes in sterling with a 6 foot and 10 foot (total 16) handle. Will this work when dropped off with Hems/cu riv charters????

I have 6ft section poles that I used. got em from frountier in fairbanks they have come in handy. I have a 4ft hoop I also got from Frountier. I saw a guy with a landing net tapped to a branch and he was catching fish, so I imagin big hoop and long poles and I have only used the clear/greenish nets, my fishing buddy swears that they can see the black nets. also bring your wadders if he starts running out of spots he will put you in a spot that will need waders.

Do they have fish cleaning tables and clear water?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Do they have fish cleaning tables and clear water?
    You may find a table or two laying about. Clear water is dependent on the spring run off, Hailey creek and O'Brian are both normally some what clear. However the sands and gravels are quickly stirred up by the stomping of many boots in them, and this soon after break up, may well still be silty. We normally carry Ice, and head and gut the fish, pack them in ice and finish the processing when we get back to town for more sanitary conditions.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I have 6ft section poles that I used. got em from frountier in fairbanks they have come in handy. I have a 4ft hoop I also got from Frountier. I saw a guy with a landing net tapped to a branch and he was catching fish, so I imagin big hoop and long poles and I have only used the clear/greenish nets, my fishing buddy swears that they can see the black nets. also bring your wadders if he starts running out of spots he will put you in a spot that will need waders.
    Your fishing buddy needs to check his source.The copper river is too silty for the salmon to see anything it is why we are able to dip them out ot the fiver.The kenai and kasilof dipnet fishery is different because it is not silty or look like dark chocolate milk so you need a clear or light green net there but not on the copper.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

we catch limits with our clear nets so i will stick with what works for me. Someone that limits with a black net could chime in. the cleaning table i thought belonged to hems charter and donations for use are accepted. If you are going on Hems charter tomarrow then you should be in line now...

everyone i know myself included limits every single year using black nets.

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

We always used smaller hoops or landing nets and never worried about the color of the net. Last year was the first year I used a maximum hoop size net and fine mesh that they sell for the Kenai. It lasted 2 days and it didn't catch any more fish than the landing nets. It was a lot more work as well. The rocks tore the net many times and the current bent the hoop. Hope this helps.

Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

I've only used the black nets and had ok success, but in comparison to big hoops with gillnets used on the Kenia/Kasilof, they don't come close to keeping fish in the net.

Rumor is the charters won't take you out if you have anything but the black net. I've talked with a lot of seasoned dipnetters and there's definitely "the right net for the copper" and the 5' hoops are just too big and flimsy to stand up to the river. I love the big hoop on the Kasilof or kenia.

I think smaller hoop with the clear/green gillnet would be a great start for the copper.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticNorseman View Post
    I've only used the black nets and had ok success, but in comparison to big hoops with gillnets used on the Kenia/Kasilof, they don't come close to keeping fish in the net.

Rumor is the charters won't take you out if you have anything but the black net. I've talked with a lot of seasoned dipnetters and there's definitely "the right net for the copper" and the 5' hoops are just too big and flimsy to stand up to the river. I love the big hoop on the Kasilof or kenia.

I think smaller hoop with the clear/green gillnet would be a great start for the copper.
    Have you ever dipped in the copper river before??? Because anyone with any experience there knows that gillnets get destroyed very very easilly in the copper because they come up from dipping the kenai/kasilof thinking they can use the same thing and while they can it will be destroyed by rocks,snags,fish, and alot of other things it is why so many people including the charter wont take you out if you are using gillnets.It is a waste of their time as well as a spot for someone who for all intents and purposes will be able to dip far longer than the one with gillnets.I am not trying to be rude its just annoying that people dont realize that the copper is not only a different beast its a completely different dipnet experience and more people should use the search feature on this forum and read a thread that deals with this because there are several of them.

well albradley you are coming off rude and as of last season when I put my nets on Hems charter he didn't seem to mind. just remember that no one maybe except Hem's charter boats know all of dipnetting the copper. If the run is on then yes you can catch them with anything. This is a fact my gill net has lasted three seasons on the copper and I have caught over 200 reds with it counting my limits and proxy fishing I have done and I will be using it this season also.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    well albradley you are coming off rude and as of last season when I put my nets on Hems charter he didn't seem to mind. just remember that no one maybe except Hem's charter boats know all of dipnetting the copper. If the run is on then yes you can catch them with anything. This is a fact my gill net has lasted three seasons on the copper and I have caught over 200 reds with it counting my limits and proxy fishing I have done and I will be using it this season also.

Honestly dont care because i am simply stating what ive learned from experience.I wish I knew what you did to keep your gillnet from tearing and getting destroyed because that would make it easier to catch and not lose any fish due to mistakes.I have no problems with you so I would prefer to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    Your fishing buddy needs to check his source.The copper river is too silty for the salmon to see anything it is why we are able to dip them out ot the fiver.The kenai and kasilof dipnet fishery is different because it is not silty or look like dark chocolate milk so you need a clear or light green net there but not on the copper.
    In another thread (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...lessons+dipnet), members agreed with Albradley - that while color of net matters much on Kenai/Kasilof, nets for the silty Copper were best long handled and maybe sometimes smaller. Those using black or other color nets did fine on the Copper. I thought quite a few interesting tips came out of that thread. Best of luck this season.

Thank you very much for the assist.I just didnt know what else to say.

My experience: (I use the Kenai net, the same one for five years).
    The Kenai nets seem to get more hits, but it takes a while to untangle the fish.
    The black nets seem to get less hits, but when a school comes through they can get the fish out quick and be back in the water while the people with the Kenai nets are still untangling.
    My Kenai net does seem to be getting a little worn from the current pulling the hoop this way and that, wearing out the place where the removable handle clicks on.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

The facts:

1. Black nets are more durable
    2. Net color doesn't make a diff with the opacity of the water in the Copper
    3. The lighter mono "Kenai" nets tend to catch more fish

Why on #3?

Because the fish will roll when bumping the net and their pectoral fins will get caught up and they can't unroll out quickly - fully 30% of the fish we catch were just tangled up on the *outside of the net bag*. If you're an accomplished fisher the perceived delay in untangling is near zero - I'd rather have the "hassle" of untangling more fish any day than gripe about a few extra seconds with the net out of the water

We drift from a boat and typically outfish any other boat out there at least 4:1, sometimes much higher than that... All working the same drift(s). I will get a good solid 3-4 seasons out of the "lightweight/easy to destroy/no good for the Copper" nets.... then you just trim the top row of mesh, re-rig to your hoop, and BOOM new net ready to go.

A great deal of success has to do with having "the touch", but guaranteed you'll have more bumps with the stickier mesh.

So copper river charters/hems WILL take you out if you have a clear kenai gill net?

Will the lines be a PITA this saturday?

Does anyone just fish from shore at Obrien creek ?

With the cost of fuel this year we are trying to fish smarter, not harder......never been to the Copper before I am looking forward to it.

i usually fish from shore and always got my limit within a day(my limit is 30).There arent many spots to dip from shore from o'brien creeck that i know of so i usually dip on the rocks near the campground in an eddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    So copper river charters/hems WILL take you out if you have a clear kenai gill net?

Will the lines be a PITA this saturday?

Does anyone just fish from shore at Obrien creek ?
    Yes, Yes, and Yes.
    (I've never seen one actually caught at Obrien Creek.).
    I averaged one fish every 60 seconds on my last 20 fish yesterday. Mosty large males on the north bank, the south bank looked like mosty females, but all the kings I saw caught were on the south bank.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast