Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangled Lakes Questions "boats???"

Default Tangled Lakes Questions "boats???"

My dad fly's in the 6th then we are off to have some fun. I'm thinking we will leave for Paxson the 8th and head up to the Tangle Lake. With that said I've never been there. I keep hearing about LAKERS and grayling! Are the lakes big enough and is it legal to run my 17' Alumaweld on them with a 60 4 stoke prop? Or do we just fish from shore? Any other recomendations in the area? We will be tent camping and bathing in bug dope

Any special fishing regulations in the area? Can you use bait? I looked online at ADFG and can't seem to find "Tangle Lake"

If it is lakers and graying your after, with your boat set up I would hang a left and head to Lake Louise. PM me if interested and I can help you get started..

Default tangle lake info

The family and I went up there 2 years ago,if you dont have a fly rod forget about grayling.Take a boat out into the middle and fish deep with a plug and herring or some kind of bait other then eggs.If you go for grayling head to all the little creeks along the side,(we caught 50 grayling easy,I fell in and caught one we all had fly rods).Dont know much about lakers except they didnt bite our flys. ps i used a red mosquito pattern.

Not sure if you already saw these but I was there a couple weeks ago and posted pics and info about the campground and about the water.

I can't answer your boat questions but I will tell you that a big portion of the campground will be under construction right now (you may already know this.) It is a really nice area, I can't wait to go back. I don't have the book in front of me but if I remember correctly the Highway Angler said there should be some grayling running through the river between upper and round tangle lake right about now, with plenty of areas to fish right from the bank. But I am in no way an expert, I'm just going by what the book said.

Quote Originally Posted by #1grousekiller View Post
    The family and I went up there 2 years ago,if you dont have a fly rod forget about grayling.Take a boat out into the middle and fish deep with a plug and herring or some kind of bait other then eggs.If you go for grayling head to all the little creeks along the side,(we caught 50 grayling easy,I fell in and caught one we all had fly rods).Dont know much about lakers except they didnt bite our flys. ps i used a red mosquito pattern.
    Umm sometimes it annoys me when people say if you dont have a fly rod you cant catch anything.The truth is they couldnt catch anything because they didnt know how to fish right.I catch upwards of 100 or more grayling everyday im there and surprise surprise I use a spinning rod and it is much more efficient than a fly rod.I use a spinning rod set up with a bobber and a fly and that my friend is all you need to nail them.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

If you want nice views and lots of fish then head to tangle lakes. I dout if you will catch any thing over 8 LBS from tagle and the Grayling are easy to catch eather with fly or spinning rod. The lake is not that big and you wont beable to go from lake to lake with the prop. i would not even try. in the fall there is only a few inches of water if you miss the chanel in the spring there might be a foot or two. I Fish tangle several times a year not for big fish because I like it there. I might have caught an 8LBS once but for the most part the lakers are around 20 inches.

I fish Louise all winter and catch a laker over 15 LBS each time and a few over 20 LDS each year. The grayling is great here as well. At Louise you'll have the chance be able to move around a lot more as the lake is much bigger. but I would not try to go into Susitna with a prop. also watch out because there are spots in the center of the lake where the water is only a few inches and you wont expect it.

The wild life at Tangle can be much funner. Try to let as many fish go as you can there all wild.

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    If you want nice views and lots of fish then head to tangle lakes. I dout if you will catch any thing over 8 LBS from tagle and the Grayling are easy to catch eather with fly or spinning rod. The lake is not that big and you wont beable to go from lake to lake with the prop. i would not even try. in the fall there is only a few inches of water if you miss the chanel in the spring there might be a foot or two. I Fish tangle several times a year not for big fish because I like it there. I might have caught an 8LBS once but for the most part the lakers are around 20 inches.

I fish Louise all winter and catch a laker over 15 LBS each time and a few over 20 LDS each year. The grayling is great here as well. At Louise you'll have the chance be able to move around a lot more as the lake is much bigger. but I would not try to go into Susitna with a prop. also watch out because there are spots in the center of the lake where the water is only a few inches and you wont expect it.

The wild life at Tangle can be much funner. Try to let as many fish go as you can there all wild.
    You wouldn't take it into Susitna! How about the Tyone R. past Susitna. Thats the area I took it last year moose hunting, lol. You are correct, not good prop country. The trip cost me $189 the going rate of a new prop for my boat but I learned a lot! I even got a couple grayling on a size 0 meps spinner while moose hunting. One of the reasons I'm wanting to go up that far is I've never been there. If you don't think it would be a good idea to take the boat It would be easy to convince me not to. I hate towing it with my Rubicon.

With that said I'm interested in Louise, never fished it. I know my boat is a good size for it and I do have a couple down riggers if need be.

thanks again for all the info guys.

I'm going to run my boat up to Lake Louise and camp over nigh tomorrow and give it a test run! Any info on how to fish it that would be great. Thanks

Teach

look for diving birds and fish shallow this time of year.

I did not say you cant do it just said that i wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by little dave View Post
    I did not say you cant do it just said that i wouldn't do it.
    I appreciate the information, thanks

Any answer to the original post? Can a boat be run on Tangle Lakes? We're heading up that way in a month or so and I was going to run the boat on Paxson Lake and Tangles. I know there's a boat launch at Tangle, but any limits? I'm running a dreaded 2-stroke.

Tim

We are heading that way on july 1st through the third. Hopefully kill the graying. PS taking a canoe.

Take a canoe from the campground and head to the other end of the lake, you can go very far from lake to lake up there and the grayling fishing in the creeks are good near the campground, but the best fishing is the "lesser" fished creeks reached via trail or canoe. Any dry/wet/streamer/spinner/bait will work. Fishing is a blast for grays and lakers (message me if you want a few tips )
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Sent you a pm teach
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Id like to try out tangle lakes this summer. Do they have canoe rentals there? Anyone ever stayed at the lodge? How is it?0
    hook, line, sinker, done.

They do not rent out canoes, havent stayed at the lodge but they are nice people.
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    Id like to try out tangle lakes this summer. Do they have canoe rentals there? Anyone ever stayed at the lodge? How is it?0
    They do rent canoes... http://www.tangleriverinn.com/activities.htm I haven't stayed there but I always eat at least one meal there when we're in the area.... great food, nice people!

Theydo rent??
    -Local 907 Riders Union

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Theydo rent??
    Yep! Sure do!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast