Thread: charter captain and deckhand halibut - can they now keep their butts ?

Default charter captain and deckhand halibut - can they now keep their butts ?

I talked to a deckhand on a charter this morning and he advised that the rules have changed and that the he and the captain can again bonk their 2 halibut in the cook inlet when they are chartering.

Has anyone heard recent clarification of this regulation/law/rule??

He is correct
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

last year they could not retain halibut for the 3 months of "high season", (J-J-A), iirc.
    not sure if that changed or is the same this year....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Last we could keep halibut all year! It was two years ago that charter capt and crew could not keep any fish of any type, and it was a state of Alaska emergancy order and was recomended by NOAA fisheries. It was not legal to restrict only halibut and NOAA could not regulate state fish so the state did the E O. It sound like it is comming again and might be that any time clients are on board no crew fish!

He said that they called the F&G and verified it. This young man is a new deckhand and he likes to eat his halibut, but mostly he is learning how to fillet - can't fillet fish for clients unless you can do a quality job. Keeping his two fish and his captains at least he gets some fillet practice - and some food also. Deckhanding doesn't pay very good - at least at this particular outfit.

Watch out if you have a CHP for 6 anglers you can only retain fish for 6 anglers 12 halibut. So if you have 4 paying anglers the captain and crew can keep 2 each! this has not been pushed but watch out. All crewmembers have to be on drug testing program if not on the program they are a guided angler. A 4 per CHP= 8 halibut, 6 per CHP= 12 halibut F&G may not inforce it but the feds might!! a violation may result in loss of your CHP.

Tom Murray of wise guide outfitters are you out there?i purchased trip for 4 and his web sight then ,,is now gone
    he does have a web page attached to rentalboatcharters.com, type in wise guide outfitters at the top of that page , same phone number and no answers. lost 0ver 7000.00 so far thanks.any info please email me at bcc65@yahoo.com thanks.or contact alaska state troopers also, they are aware of Tom Murray of Wise Guide Outfitters of coopers landing, SEVERAL COMPLAINTS SO FAR. I was looking so much toward this trip of alife time . one pissed outdoorsman and ebay or pay pal does not cover it after 45 days.
    4 days on the kenia ,,,,one day on seward for halibut and one fly in trip lost!!!!!

DERAIL.......

I will let him know on the CHP fish limits, he probably already knows. He is drug tested pre-hire and randoms.

If the captain is fishing who is running the boat?How many deckhands have the license?
    Years back when I went the clients and deckhand caught all of the fish for those who did not catch enough or none at all.
    I kinda hope most of that has changed.

The deck has to been on the drug testing program if he is involved in the anchoring of the boat, navigation of the boat, and parking of the boat. If all he or she is doing is baiting fish hooks they do not need to be drug tested. They do need a vaild fishing LC if they are over 16.

I am pretty sure that he is playing by the rules. I do not know what kind of CHP they have.