Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory life jackets.........

Default Mandatory life jackets.........

I am not saying one way or the other, I usally wear one.
    Just thought some find it interesting.

http://www.boatus.com/magazine/2011/June/reports.asp
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I for one, am all for it. With the new technologies on the market why not. On my big boat any time I open the door to get out on the swim deck or fighting big fish the jackets go on. On my river rocket I wear suspenders.

Below I pulled the aim of their campaign out and posted.

"The National Boating Safety Advisory Council asked the Coast Guard to consider mandating that anyone aboard a boat less than 18-feet long be required to wear a life jacket when underway. In addition it asks that all those being towed in water sports, riding personal watercraft, or in human-powered boats of any length be required to wear life jackets as well."

I always wear a PFD, but like motorcycle helmets and seatbelts I believe it is everyones right to be stupid and to be able to choose not to wear a PFD, helmet or seatbelt when of legal age. For children it is another story and am all for the mandatory aspect.

I do not need someone to protect me from myself.

I love it! I mean isnt that what the government is for? to tell us what to do, when and how to do it?

I am with 338WM it's up to you to make the choice to wear what is needed for the moment, helmet, life jacket, seat belt. Enough BIG Government even if they think it is for our own good. What is the point of living in what was the most free country in the world if you cant be free to decide for your self.

Outlaw all boats, boats are the leading cause of boating accidents. Guns are the leading cause of shooting accidents, motorcycles of motorcycle accidents cars of car accidents... Life, the leading cause of death.

How are we supposed to weed out the idiots? Without natural selection evolution will be moving backwards. j/k.

I think that the governments involvement in my personal safety ends with educational campaigns. They can have a PSA promoting (fill in the blank), but when they start making laws and writing tickets they have gone too far. I base my personal protection level depending on the risk at hand. If I'm fishing on a lake the PFD is close at hand on the back of my seat. If I'm navigating the Copper River or waterskiing you can bet that I'm wearing it. I definitely do not need to delegate this decision making process to the legislature in Juneau or Washington and have it enforced by 24 year old ex-military thugs on a daily basis.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    How are we supposed to weed out the idiots? Without natural selection evolution will be moving backwards. j/k.

I think that the governments involvement in my personal safety ends with educational campaigns. They can have a PSA promoting (fill in the blank), but when they start making laws and writing tickets they have gone too far. I base my personal protection level depending on the risk at hand. If I'm fishing on a lake the PFD is close at hand on the back of my seat. If I'm navigating the Copper River or waterskiing you can bet that I'm wearing it. I definitely do not need to delegate this decision making process to the legislature in Juneau or Washington and have it enforced by 24 year old ex-military thugs on a daily basis.
    Grayling Slayer,

I wear a life vest on the water. But I share your objection to the government telling an adult, under penalty of law, how much personal risk is acceptable. I also appreciate your apprehension that such intrusive laws may be enforced by officers, some of whom are youthfully overzealous.

Why, though, would you ascribe a particular thuggishness to officers who are military veterans?

Talking

You know us military guys, all brainwashed or on it for the money, power and fame. Everyone else to us military thugs are dope smokin, grape soda drinkin, Part your hair down the middle pot farmers ruinin this country. Only two groups,thugs and dopers.

Default Evolution of Superstition

Armymark it's called conditioning now; its really for the greater good anyway, I mean brain-washing sounds so much like water-boarding.

You know without brain-washing or water-boarding nobody would have believe we'd wear protective gear of anykind, just a thought. hence the title (now that waters getting deep)

Side note: I wear protection

Violence solves no problems, now hold on while i go bomb the heck out another country then i will get back to lecturing you about how violence solves no problems. BOOM! BOOM!

heck i like seeing commmunists fly to pieces just like the next guy, but lets not act like hipocrites uncle sam.
    Semper Fi!

Armed, now you really did it, you used such terms and phrases as, water boarding, evolution and the assumption of a greater good in the same thread! Deep water indeed. I'll put my PFD on and salute the flag and leave this one to cook!

Default If only

Don't get me wrong I served 21 years in the Army and now a retiree, but I do understand things differently as I get older.

Old to soon and smart to late; rings true as time goes on.

This was getting stuck for the first time on 4 Jun 11; Little Su 17.3 miles up river from the boat launch.
    Had to call for helpa few phone calls and some advice from friends; I called the ranger on the river and he came up and helped me get it back into the water. This boat getting back into action was a tough job.
    Picture 059.jpg
    Last edited by Armed_alaskan; 06-05-2011 at 23:07. Reason: added a picture

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I love it! I mean isnt that what the government is for? to tell us what to do, when and how to do it?
    Yes, and then government gathers our money to fund an agency to make sure we do it.

[QUOTE=sayak;956200]Yes, and then government gathers our money to fund an agency to make sure we do it.[/QUOTE
    And they should! I wouldnt even put my pfd on unless the government wanted me to.

[QUOTE=kevin476;956214]
    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Yes, and then government gathers our money to fund an agency to make sure we do it.[/QUOTE
    And they should! I wouldnt even put my pfd on unless the government wanted me to.
    I don't know if you are serious or not. If you are joking; Haha!
    If you are not joking, you have been well conditioned. Baaaaa.

It is NOT just a personal decision....if a US Coast Guard rescue swimmer is going to jump in outrageous conditions to save your sorry ***** and has to jump before the chopper is positioned at best advantage because you choose to not wear a pfd, whom did you make that decision about? Or, a local law enforcement/fire dept. guy/gal/good citizen has to jump in and risk their life because you got knocked out of a kayak in crazy whitewater without a pfd, whom did you make that decision for?

Grow up, and quit hijacking so many threads with your gubment tantrums!!

Hey "Cap'n", the premise of this thread (seemingly) was whether PFDs should be mandatory, so there was no highjack. I agree that it is unfortunate that people put the lives of rescuers in jeopardy when they have to be rescued, but the fact of the matter is that it occurs with mountain climbers and snowmachiners, and hikers, and hunters as well. If a boat is going down, the Coast Guard will be there (if they can) regardless of whether the boaters have PFDs on or not. If they are slow to arrive, in most cases those who need to be rescued will succumb to hypothermia anyway. All the PFDs will have done is help them locate the bodies. The only thing that might change that would be for every boater to have to wear an emersion suit. Is that what you think people should do?

My family always wears PFDs out on the water because it is the sensible thing to do. But I don't support government making people (adults) wear them any more than I do making bikers wear helmets- thought that is sensible as well, or highmarkers wear those inflatable thingies in case of an avalanche (sensible), or climbers stay off the mountain because the weather looks iffy (sensible). Fact of the matter is that we all take chances- even when we drive- and we all put others' lives in jeopardy. True, they can legislate rules for safety for every activity, but life in Alaska is innately risky, and no way can they ever mitigate every risk without shutting things down completely. And even if they did that, you could die of a heart attack or aneurism... ah yes, better start regulating more health issues too.

There, I just traded my rant for yours.

Brilliant! your right. they should make us all buy PLB's too that way it will be even easier for them when they rescue us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    It is NOT just a personal decision....if a US Coast Guard rescue swimmer is going to jump in outrageous conditions to save your sorry ***** and has to jump before the chopper is positioned at best advantage because you choose to not wear a pfd, whom did you make that decision about? Or, a local law enforcement/fire dept. guy/gal/good citizen has to jump in and risk their life because you got knocked out of a kayak in crazy whitewater without a pfd, whom did you make that decision for?

Grow up, and quit hijacking so many threads with your gubment tantrums!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Hey "Cap'n", the premise of this thread (seemingly) was whether PFDs should be mandatory, so there was no highjack. I agree that it is unfortunate that people put the lives of rescuers in jeopardy when they have to be rescued, but the fact of the matter is that it occurs with mountain climbers and snowmachiners, and hikers, and hunters as well. If a boat is going down, the Coast Guard will be there (if they can) regardless of whether the boaters have PFDs on or not. If they are slow to arrive, in most cases those who need to be rescued will succumb to hypothermia anyway. All the PFDs will have done is help them locate the bodies. The only thing that might change that would be for every boater to have to wear an emersion suit. Is that what you think people should do?

My family always wears PFDs out on the water because it is the sensible thing to do. But I don't support government making people (adults) wear them any more than I do making bikers wear helmets- thought that is sensible as well, or highmarkers wear those inflatable thingies in case of an avalanche (sensible), or climbers stay off the mountain because the weather looks iffy (sensible). Fact of the matter is that we all take chances- even when we drive- and we all put others' lives in jeopardy. True, they can legislate rules for safety for every activity, but life in Alaska is innately risky, and no way can they ever mitigate every risk without shutting things down completely. And even if they did that, you could die of a heart attack or aneurism... ah yes, better start regulating more health issues too.

There, I just traded my rant for yours.
    SAYAK ~~~~ Your rant was well-stated and much better than mine, though we both have some points! Thanks...rep pts to you!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast