Thread: yamaha kodiak vs honda rancher trx350

Question yamaha kodiak vs honda rancher trx350

There are a couple of 4x4's being advertised, the Yamaha Kodiak is 2000 and the Honda Rancher is a 2002. Both are advertised in very good condition but I haven't see them yet. I am not a previous atv owner. The Yamaha is listed at $2000 and the Honda for $2600. What would be your preference if you picked one of these? Are they both reliable machines? What pitfalls should I be aware of, or anything else? Are the prices good?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

kingfisherktn
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 03-08-2007 at 08:53. Reason: Left out pricing question.

I don' know much about the Kodiak but I do know the Rancher is a great machine. Even though it is smaller than the big machines it has lots of get up and go. I used it to plow snow for two years in Valdez and it worked great. It would start no matter what the weather and always got me were I wanted to go. You will also find that Rancher is well built, and will run forever. The worst mistake I ever made when it comes to ATV's is selling mine.
    They do have a sort of rough ride compared to other machines but mine had never been towed!
    Dave

You never go wrong with honda. There not as fast or fancy but the'll be running in 15 years.

Thumbs up AKFlyfisher & Jim

Thanks for the Honda input.

kingfisherktn

kingfisherktn,

One thing to remember is that you have a honda dealer, Ken At timber and Marine in town but no local Yamaha ATV dealer. Ken stocks enough parts to build a rancher from scratch. Out here at Neets we have 4 personal and one company ranchers. they are great machines. the only downside to them is the breaks. They have drum breaks front and rear. If you keep up on them they work OK. if you get the Rancher let me know I can give you a few tips on the break up keep to keep them working well.

Woody

I own an 06 Rancher 350 - the things indestructible....It can handle anything...it will go anywhere you want it to..

Thumbs up Looks like Honda is getting the thumbs up.

How is the price?

Adult ridden and in good shape it sounds like a good deal

Default Great machines

I have no personal experience with the Hondas, I have owned a Kodiak and now own a 700 Grizzly, loved my 97 Kodiak, great, reliable machine. However, pointed out earlier, no Yamaha dealer in your area.

Easy choice Honda

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Price doesnt sound too bad. Any accesories?

Thanks for good info. I don't know everything that comes with it, will be seeing it tomorrow. If there are no accessories is that a high price or average price?

thanks

kingfisherktn

Default honda

Not sure about the price (bought mine new) but as was said before honda is all about reliability which to me is 10 times more important, miles into the mountains, then speed or luxury ever will be. The rancher is no slouch in the performance department either and it will do everything that you will need it to for years and years. Easy desicion. HONDA.

Default Rancher

I would not get the AT version. I like the Electric Shift version though.

There has been a lot of failures with the ESP (Electric thumb shift) so beware of that. Needless to say I have ESP on mine and it has been perfect. The quad does come with a backup so you can manually switch gears to get out of dodge.

Only thing wrong with my 350 thus far is my front end is either bent or out of alignment - I guess that what I get when I roll it several times at high speed and take some jumps with it :P

Still drives great like that though ahaha :P

They are both great, dependable machines. My vote has to go to Honda. Not a bad deal either!