Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what do you think of the rem 700 300 ultra

Default what do you think of the rem 700 300 ultra

Im looking at getting a remington 300 ultra. what is your guys take and oppions on this round. the pros and cons. thats for all your expertise in advance.
    Big Daddy

I'll be the first but I promise not to be the last on this one - the numbers are impressive but I for one am not wowed by the ultra's - It matters not what you shoot, gravity takes over from the muzzle and there is no cartridge that will overcome that - In the pre-rangefinder days it was more of an issue I'll admit but what difference does it make at 500 yards if the bullet you launched hits 36" low or 55" low ? with the accurate range finding available today (and if you are gonna attempt those LOOOONG shots you "should" be using one for sure) you simply "dope" the shot and take it - Admittedly, a little added velocity helps with delivered energy but even the "dreaded" 300 ultra mag sheds it's velocity - For me anyways, when I take into account the added length of the action, the needed longer barrel and the extra pains to reload (limited brass, big powder charge) I will take something more "generic" and spend the extra time and money on perfecting the rifle's personality and my shooting - I am not degrading the ultra's but, in MY eyes they are more hype than boots on the ground - you won't see many snipers using them for obvious common sense reasons

I'm not a fan of the Ultras. I'll not dispute the effectiveness of a fast .30, in fact I'll be the first to say they're a good choice for a lot of AK hunting.

But I think once you get to a certain point you've reached dimishing returns. Cartridges like the .300 Ultra, 30-378 Wea. and others of similar case capacity are just too overbore to make logical sense and I frankly don't think they deliver much more practical power in the field than a plain jane .300WM or WSM and if you must have "more" the basic .300 Wea. is no slouch and the Ultra gets even more difficult to justify.

Most of the really overbore stuff has spendy ammo, you have to be very careful about bullet selection, most are a pill to load for...all for a 100-200fps increase in velocity? Not worth it in my book.

I think it falls nicely in the niche of the hard kicking, super magnums that are all the rage today. Personally I am not a fan of any of the ultra mags, just a waste powder, short barrel life, expensive factory ammo, the list goes on. Its gotta be hell on your shoulder in a hunting weight rifle as well, which usually keeps guys from really getting much practice with their hunting rig.

Definitely reaches well past the point of diminishing returns. Load data goes from about 89-104 g of powder, that's crazy talk!

I prefer the Model 70 for it field stripping ability. I have a new M-70 for sale (Unfired, in the box) $1,199.-- if you are set on the .300 Ultra and want the best delivery system.

Lots of misconceptions and false info being tossed around in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Im looking at getting a remington 300 ultra. what is your guys take and oppions on this round. the pros and cons. thats for all your expertise in advance.
    Big Daddy
    It's a magnum .30 caliber, a bit faster than some and a bit slower than others. It's design is marketable (pro) and anyone that has hunted realizes that a dependable 180 grain bullet at magnum velocity is a bona fide killer (pro). Compared to the 300 Winchester Magnum, it's factory offerings are limited (con) in both ammo and rifles. While its external ballistics significantly exceed standard .30 caliber rounds (.308 Win, 30/06--pro), it also significantly exceeds these cartridges in recoil (con). This comparison can go on and on, but if you want one then my advice is buy one. If you simply want an effective .30 caliber cartridge, I'd look toward the 300 WM or 30/06. I understand that with these new cartridges on the market it is hard to buy the humdrum cartridges of years gone by... I wish you well in your search.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Lots of misconceptions and false info being tossed around in this thread.
    For Example.......??????????

None of the new ones beat the old 300H&H enough to make a hoot.New ones do sell mags and new what he was useing on T.V. guns
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Matt - I am all ears too .... After slamming the 300 ultra this morning I will add some "pro" observations, in a "normal weight" hunting rifle (meaning around 8 lbs) with a limbsaver recoil pad on the 300 isn't really too bad to shoot UNLESS you install a muzzle brake ! then all bets are off - On the reloading side, you might have to buy a new press that will accomodate the loooong case as well - I am not offering advice, per se, because you were soliciting opinions - Remington, as always, did a fair job of marketing the ultra line along with Layne Simpson (who must've been given a new rifle or two) I elk hunted Snake River in 07 with a "new" friend I had known for a while but not in hunting camp - when I asked him what he was ashootin' he puffed up like a scared cat and said "300 uuultra" and so goes the personna - He did kill a nice bull that trip but no shot that I with my 338 Win Mag or the 3rd of us with his 35 whelen (which by the way dumped a 6 pt bull so hard you could have planted corn in the trench his nose plowed) couldn't have made - new guns can get a person's enthusiasm goin' though - good luck on your decision

I doubt you could handle mine, then. Under 8lbs all-up and no muzzle brake (those are a joke). Though, the McMillan EDGE fits me like a glove and it balances great and points like a wand. Shoots even better. When shooting the Swift SI2 bullets, I just aim and shoot....and animal dies and with authority. But, like mentioned, this cartridge can be too much of a good thing for the recoil sensitive. A long-range thumper it is.

Funny, the 300 ultra is the same length as the 375 h&h case. I don't recall seeing any special presses made for that...

I've used numerous Rem 700s in many different calibers over my 40 years afield, and still own several. Their rifles have always functioned well and served me flawlessly. I'll withold judgement on the 300 Ultra caliber until I have the opportunity to shoot one.
    I did decide several years ago however that my firearm choices wouldn't be based on the rounds ballistic curve or magazine hype; But instead they would be based on my hunting requirements. The 300 Ultra would be next to useless in heavy timber and for varmint hunting.
    It would however seem to me that this round is an overbore and barrel life will be short and ammunition expensive as it will be manufactured by a limited number of companies.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Forgot to add that my rifle sports a 26" stainless, fluted 3-groove pacnor barrel and I used it to kill 4 deer last nov in thick cover and the longest shot was probably 50 yards. No issues whatsoever and he meat is delicious, by the way...

Forgot to add that my rifle sports a 26" stainless, fluted 3-groove pacnor barrel and I used it to kill 4 deer last nov in thick cover and the longest shot was probably 50 yards. No issues whatsoever and he meat is delicious, by the way...
    Your 300 RUM obviously works for you Matt, but it is a long ways from ideal IMO. Whatever the 300 RUM does I believe it can be done better by something else. It would be a good choice if a hunter needed one rifle to serve all of his hunting needs. Meaning that it is rarely perfect, but normally a good compromise. In fact, that has long been the forte of all .30 caliber magnums; they are able to do all things well, but very few things great (for that you'd need a .284). FWIW, concerning the four commercial RUMs, the .300 would be my last choice for all of those reasons and a host of others...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The 300 Ultra would be next to useless in heavy timber and for varmint hunting.
    It would however seem to me that this round is an overbore and barrel life will be short and ammunition expensive as it will be manufactured by a limited number of companies.
    Exactly why do you think a fast 30 cal bullet would be useless in heavy timber, I assure you it kills up close as well as it does at long range. I have a 300 RUM and shooting a 168gr Barnes TSX at 3340fps it has proven to be the best killer I have ever used, several moose blackbear and caribou have fallen to this load. I have also yet to find a 300 RUM that wasn't accurate. I guess I'm just a tried and true RUM fan. Having owned a 338 RUM, and currently my go to rifles are chambered in 300 RUM and 375 RUM. Neither is over 8lbs and both will shoot extremely well. Ammo isn't expensive when you reload and the performance is very impressive. I think most people who don't like the RUM are just scared by the size of it. Its not punishing to shoot in the least and is very easy to load for.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    Exactly why do you think a fast 30 cal bullet would be useless in heavy timber, I assure you it kills up close as well as it does at long range. I have a 300 RUM and shooting a 168gr Barnes TSX at 3340fps it has proven to be the best killer I have ever used, several moose blackbear and caribou have fallen to this load. I have also yet to find a 300 RUM that wasn't accurate. I guess I'm just a tried and true RUM fan. Having owned a 338 RUM, and currently my go to rifles are chambered in 300 RUM and 375 RUM. Neither is over 8lbs and both will shoot extremely well. Ammo isn't expensive when you reload and the performance is very impressive. I think most people who don't like the RUM are just scared by the size of it. Its not punishing to shoot in the least and is very easy to load for.
    At less than 100 yards in timber the 300 Ultra offers no practical advantage over the 308 Winny or most other 30 caliber rifles. 300 Ultra ammo IS far more expensive than 308 ammo (everybody doesn't reload), even though 308 ammo is easy to load as well. And at any given rifle weight the 300 Ultra has 50% more recoil than the 308 Winny.
    I wouldn't believe that a 300 Rum has more recoil than my 416, so I'm really not that scared of it's recoil or size.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    ... It matters not what you shoot, gravity takes over from the muzzle and there is no cartridge that will overcome that - In the pre-rangefinder days it was more of an issue I'll admit but what difference does it make at 500 yards if the bullet you launched hits 36" low or 55" low ? with the accurate range finding available today (and if you are gonna attempt those LOOOONG shots you "should" be using one for sure)
    Exactly... for short to medium range hunting the 300 RUM is more than needed.

you simply "dope" the shot and take it
    Kind of, but bot really all that simple

Admittedly, a little added velocity helps with delivered energy but even the "dreaded" 300 ultra mag sheds it's velocity - For me anyways, when I take into account the added length of the action,
    The Rem 700 300 RUM action is exactly the same a a 700 25-06 action, or any othe large action cartridge.

the needed longer barrel and the extra pains to reload (limited brass, big powder charge)
    No different reloading the 300 RUM then most other cartridges if you do it right.

I will take something more "generic" and spend the extra time and money on perfecting the rifle's personality and my shooting - I am not degrading the ultra's but, in MY eyes they are more hype than boots on the ground - you won't see many snipers using them for obvious common sense reasons
    It all depends on the snipers mission and target. Snipers use a muzzle brake and suppressor and the 300 ultra delivers a high velocity, more forgiving trajectory with the right bullet than a lot of other cartridges. My guess is that most snipers choice will be the 338 LM (almost exactly the same powder capacity as a RUM but with much better brass). Bullet selection is actually more of a consideration than cartridge for long range sniping.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by AKmik View Post
    I think it falls nicely in the niche of the hard kicking, super magnums that are all the rage today. Personally I am not a fan of any of the ultra mags, just a waste powder, short barrel life, expensive factory ammo, the list goes on. Its gotta be hell on your shoulder in a hunting weight rifle as well, which usually keeps guys from really getting much practice with their hunting rig.
    It really doesn't matter what you're a "fan of". What matters is what you want to do with your rifle. I get plenty of practice with my 300 RUM (8.5 lb Sendero) with .5 MOA accuracy out to 600 yds without a brake. Up to 50 rounds in 2 hrs in my most intense shooting and I could have done a whole lot more.

Definitely reaches well past the point of diminishing returns. Load data goes from about 89-104 g of powder, that's crazy talk!
    Once again, it's all what you want to do with it. For short to mid range it's way more than you need. For long range it beats most of the other 30's hands down.

I doubt you could handle mine, then. Under 8lbs all-up and no muzzle brake (those are a joke). Though, the McMillan EDGE fits me like a glove and it balances great and points like a wand. Shoots even better. When shooting the Swift SI2 bullets, I just aim and shoot....and animal dies and with authority. But, like mentioned, this cartridge can be too much of a good thing for the recoil sensitive. A long-range thumper it is.
    That's a good summary.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I did decide several years ago however that my firearm choices wouldn't be based on the rounds ballistic curve or magazine hype; But instead they would be based on my hunting requirements. The 300 Ultra would be next to useless in heavy timber and for varmint hunting.
    Why would it be useless in heavy timber??? F=MA. An object that is in motion tends to stay in motion and resists any change to it's path. the faster and/or heavier (greater mass) the bullet, the less likely it is to change it's path of flight. This is a physical fact all else being equal.

It is an overbore, but probably less overbore than a 22-250. Factory ammo is expensive and if I didn't handload it would not be a consideration.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Your 300 RUM obviously works for you Matt, but it is a long ways from ideal IMO. Whatever the 300 RUM does I believe it can be done better by something else.
    That's a very open ended and vaugue statement. Any particular cartridge will fit a particular niche better than other cartridges.

It would be a good choice if a hunter needed one rifle to serve all of his hunting needs. Meaning that it is rarely perfect, but normally a good compromise. In fact, that has long been the forte of all .30 caliber magnums; they are able to do all things well, but very few things great (for that you'd need a .284).
    30's make bigger holes than 284's.

FWIW, concerning the four commercial RUMs, the .300 would be my last choice for all of those reasons and a host of others...
    FWIW concerning the four RUMS, the 300 would be my first choice. FWIW of course

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Big Daddy
    If you're not shooting past 600-700 yds, get a 300 WSM or WM. If you are shooting past that range, then don't get any ole 300 RUM. Get a Sendero or a custom and handload your ammo and get educated on LR shooting.

Well MontanaRifleMan, I guess you got 'er handled ... no point in chattin' here

Well...... thank you for the responses. I didnt mean to get people fired up.
    I am wanting to sell my winchester model 70 375 h&h, so I can get a 300 RUM.
    Im just throwing that out there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast