Thread: Prince of Wales Black Bears

Default Prince of Wales Black Bears

So next May my buddy and I are going to POW to do a black bear hunt with RDM pilot and guide. My question is does anyone have any experience with this guide or have you gone to the island to do any bear hunting? Pictures of bears taken from there would be awesome and also advise on some gear that we should take. Thanks.

That is a Guided hunt ... your Guide should have lots of infomation for you.

dreez,
    I used RDM (randy Mccue) in the spring of 08 for an unguided black bear hunt on POW Island. He provided everything in camp that he said he would. I was hunting solo for my trip. he dropped me off in biscuit lagoon (south POW) and the tent had already been set up the day before. I had a good tent, a second gear tent, and a small inflatable with motor and gas. I had also rented a Sat phone for the week. He had stated that he had seen a bear in that area the week before, but if I didnt like the area, he would move me mid-week.
    Well, biscuit lagoon is very small and very difficult to get out of. it has a small inlet which has whitewater except for slack tide. I expored the whole lagoon and only saw one small black bear (took tons of pics). I could not motor out at low tide (too risky by myself) and the high tides were after dark. He had warned me before that I shouldnt attempt to get out of the lagoon due to the rapids.
    I think he had stuck me in that small lagoon to keep me out of trouble since i was solo?
    I tried to get him to move me somewhere else, but he didnt want to. I dont recall what his reasons were, but nonetheless I continued to hunt that small lagoon for my entire hunt and never saw another bear. I think the lack of bears was probably due to the late winter (first week of May and still very cold that year).
    Randy is a very nice guy and his equipment was all top notch. My only regret was that i didnt push him harder to get me out of that lagoon. I am sure he would have had pressed the issue. I would certainly use him again if I was to do a hunt in a remote area.
    I enjoyed my solitude and had a great hunt and didnt have any equipment issues with items that he provided.
    Next spring will be the last hunt that you can do unguided without having to win the drawing on POW island (for non-residents). I was up there last week hunting (scored 2 blackies) and talked to Steve Bethune (F&G in Craig) who had said that the drawing for non-residents will go into effect in the fall of 2012.
    Last week was my fourth spring bear hunt on POW island. I love it up there. the 1st year I hunted the south end (outfitted by RDM), the second two years I was outfitted by Coffman Cove Adventures (another outstanding outfit) and this year I took my whole family and we rented a house, boat and truck from Misty Sea Charters in Coffman Cove. The people in Coffman Cove are probably the friendliest I have ever met and there are quite a few bears up there. I got my first bear this year (finally) and so did my son. Not large bears but trophies anyway. Gooch (Coffman Cove Adventures) is a forum member and posted a large bear that his client shot last week while we were there in the SE Alaska Bear Hunting thread. It was a toad.
    RDM outfitting service was great if you want to go somewhere and be remote. But that is not needed to find large bears on POW island, at least from my limited experience. I would recomend Coffman Cove Adventures if you want a DIY hunt with a few niceties. Their lodging is nice, vehicles and boats in great condition, AND THEY COOK FOR YOU!

Smile

dreez,
    I used RDM (randy Mccue) in the spring of 08 for an unguided black bear hunt on POW Island. He provided everything in camp that he said he would. I was hunting solo for my trip. he dropped me off in biscuit lagoon (south POW) and the tent had already been set up the day before. I had a good tent, a second gear tent, and a small inflatable with motor and gas. I had also rented a Sat phone for the week. He had stated that he had seen a bear in that area the week before, but if I didnt like the area, he would move me mid-week.
    Well, biscuit lagoon is very small and very difficult to get out of. it has a small inlet which has whitewater except for slack tide. I expored the whole lagoon and only saw one small black bear (took tons of pics). I could not motor out at low tide (too risky by myself) and the high tides were after dark. He had warned me before that I shouldnt attempt to get out of the lagoon due to the rapids.
    I think he had stuck me in that small lagoon to keep me out of trouble since i was solo?
    I tried to get him to move me somewhere else, but he didnt want to. I dont recall what his reasons were, but nonetheless I continued to hunt that small lagoon for my entire hunt and never saw another bear. I think the lack of bears was probably due to the late winter (first week of May and still very cold that year).
    Randy is a very nice guy and his equipment was all top notch. My only regret was that i didnt push him harder to get me out of that lagoon. I am sure he would have had I pressed the issue. I would certainly use him again if I was to do a hunt in a remote area.
    I enjoyed my solitude and had a great hunt and didnt have any equipment issues with items that he provided.
    Next spring will be the last hunt that you can do unguided without having to win the drawing on POW island (for non-residents). I was up there last week hunting (scored 2 blackies) and talked to Steve Bethune (F&G in Craig) who had said that the drawing for non-residents will go into effect in the fall of 2012.
    Last week was my fourth spring bear hunt on POW island. I love it up there. the 1st year I hunted the south end (outfitted by RDM), the second two years I was outfitted by Coffman Cove Adventures (another outstanding outfit) and this year I took my whole family and we rented a house, boat and truck from Misty Sea Charters in Coffman Cove. The people in Coffman Cove are probably the friendliest I have ever met and there are quite a few bears up there. I got my first bear this year (finally) and so did my son. Not large bears but trophies anyway. Gooch (Coffman Cove Adventures) is a forum member and posted a pic of large bear that his client shot last week while we were there in the SE Alaska Bear Hunting thread. It was a toad.
    RDM outfitting service was great if you want to go somewhere and be remote. But that is not needed to find large bears on POW island, at least from my limited experience. I would recomend Coffman Cove Adventures if you want a DIY hunt with a few niceties. Their lodging is nice, vehicles and boats in great condition, AND THEY COOK FOR YOU!

sorry about the double posting, edited the first one a bit and thought it would save over it and not a new one. I'm a NOOB

DSCN0449.jpgDSC_0563.jpg
    Here are pics of the two bears we got last week. My son cody (12) spotted his bear from about 1500 yards and we closed the distance to 186 yards and he made a perfect shot with his Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I was a happy dad!

DSCN0452.jpghere is another pic. this one with Cody smiling and not the bear!

Nice Job Fishhunter,

What an excellent looking family there, and congrats to your son, he's got a nice Bear there
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

that's all great except... his name is Ryan (not randy).

Ryan McCue is good people. Never hunted with him, but been flying and working with him since I was 14. Good guy, great family, I'll fly with him anytime.

thanks fish hunter for the info and great bears, would you have any suggestion on the clothing i know its a rain forest but is it really cold as well

Dreez,
    During the four spring bear seasons I have hunted on POW, the weather has ranged from high 70s to snowing and blowing. I usually spend half my time in chest waders and the other half in xtra ruffs and waterproof bibs. My son and I both have Rivers West jackets, which are excellent. A lot of people also swear by Helly Hanson impertech rainwear, my son has a set and it seems toughs, but doesn't seem as rugged as the rivers west jackets.
    We will usually spend half our time in the skiff scanning the beaches and the other half road hunting all of the logging roads. Chest waders probably wouldn't be needed most of the time, but there is one area we get to by boat where we hike in and have to cross several tidal areas. A good set of hip boots would probably suffice for the swampy areas. We use the uninsulated, non-neoprene stocking foot waders. You get a better fit with these vise the boot foot and can usually hike further, IMHO.
    I usually spend the extra $ on good clothing for my son so he will be more comfortable and more likely to continue hunting with me. Next year I will have a set of caulked boots (spiked/corked) when I go up there, I think those would work great in the woods and tidal areas that I hunt.
    Take a fawn call when you go up there also. The fawns are usually dropping that time of year, and one of the big ones that gooch's client shot was called in with one. I have tried using an electronic one with no luck, but it is a cheap one and sounds crappy. My daughter wanted the gut pile to take back to her anatomy class so I had an extra 30 pounds of heart, liver, lungs, and stomach in my fish boxes. I think one of the bears we shot had a fawn in it's stomach as it was rock hard and felt bony. They are dissecting it on Monday, can't wait to hear what was in the stomach.
    Good luck,
    Eric

Wow that would be very interesting to discover that it had eaten one, kinda cool too. Thank you for all your help i haven't been in AK long and i dont know the good brands of clothing. My friend also mentioned the rivers west brand saying it was the best, but because im deployed to Iraq it will have to wait until December before i make any large purchases, and can try one on for size. Once again thanks for the advise and help!