Thread: Two hand casting

Default Two hand casting

Any of you master two hand casters in Anchorage have the time in the next couple of days to give me any casting tips? Leaving for the Bay on Sunday, picked up a new Two Hander last week and was hoping someone would like to meet up to give me instruction on my casting technique. I am a very capable single hander caster but would like some tips on casting the two hander. Will compensate with beer, soda, or whatever beverage your heart desires! Hit me up with a PM!

Here is a tip that most two handers think about....the wind....keep your D loop on the Downwind side, always...for safety!

If you can show us a video, for example my level spey casting techniques ...
    http://youtu.be/ZH8NS0T1GWw
    This land is your land, this land is my land

Quote Originally Posted by neverborn View Post
    If you can show us a video, for example my level spey casting techniques ...
    http://youtu.be/ZH8NS0T1GWw
    Neverborn, I just dont know if I can publicly humiliate myself that way!lol

Neverborn-

Your cast is getting out there, but your efficiency level can be improved by a few things...

-add some trunk rotation instead of arm throw to keep the cast-stroke more compact. this keeps the hands inside the imaginary box bordered by your belt and your hatbill, shoulder-wide and about 18 inches in front of you.

-take some power out of your top hand. The skagit technique is a bottom-hand-dominant technique, with about 80% of the power being applied. Spread your hands on the cork, get that top hand out there on the upper end and the bottom hand further away from the reel, and you have a more efficient lever.

-finish the stroke with your hands closer to your body. I tell my students that the bottom hand should finish against the body somewhere between the belly button and the belt buckle, and the top hand should finish about 18-24 inches in front of the chin.

Another thing I repeat over and over to folks is...the fish don't care what your cast looks like. If you can cast all the way to the fish, you are happy with your cast, and you aren't tired at the end of the day, then you are doing it right.

here's a clip shot a few years ago, me throwing a z-axis 7110 (7wt 11'), AirFlo skagit compact 450, 11 feet of t-14, and a big leech. We were dinkin around in spring runoff, trying to find a place to shoot some casting footage...turns out mud does't highlight the line well.

Franken Fish, I got my experience in two-hand casting mostly watching YouTube videos. There are a lot of good lessons. I watched all these videos and repeated on local lakes. It took a time.... but every experience comes with it.

G_Smolt Thanks a lot for the good advice. I will try to improve my technique and will post the new video.
    This land is your land, this land is my land

I have been hitting up the Youtube quite a bit and also I bought the Rio Modern Spey Casting DVD. I am going to go out and shoot a video today of myself casting and post it later on. Thanks guys

Did some work with Don h today and the improvement level went sky high! Thanks Don! Any suggestions on my cast would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62DgXoH96sU

Hey good job,
    I thought the second snake roll on the vid was the best. Keep your rod tip low after the snap. Your D is forming better but you are still pushing. Stay in your lane and work on the motions instead of the distance. Aim for that sign again or the top of those trees to let that loop unfold and quit putting all that line in the water. If you are gonna shoot five pulls put one on the water, two in your hand and two on the water, it only makes it harder for that line to leave if its pulling itself off the bottom of the river. Don't get caught up in diffrent casts, work on that snap T keep your tip low, throw that D behind you and get a fly on there that is condusive to your floater or switch to a sink tip and practice more. Nice to meet you today, slow down and keep at it, you look at that sign and your cast got better, you get anxious and it falls to *****.

Looks good Franken, just need to drive that tip down more on the C spey, work on slowing down a tad bit and throw it to the sky. Good job!
    "The Tug is the Drug"

nice job there frank !! if your comming from a single hand rod background , like i did , its going to a little tuff ! when you first start out , theres a thing called mussel memory , I had to overcome , I had to SLOW DOWN , its totally different then fishing with a single hand rod , looks like you got some good help there (nice)

Thanks for the help fellas. I am leaving for the Bay in the am. Tight lines!

Mike over at Mossy's Fly Shop in Anchorage is having a two handed instruction piece coming up I think. He's been getting into this big time. It's a hoot. Been throwing a single hander for 40 years, so the change is great! Enjoy

You know I talked to Mike about that but I happen to be in Naknek and heading to Egigek for about 7 weeks! Wish I could be there!