Thread: fly tying question

Default fly tying question

Does it matter what color the hook is red, silver, black? Also what size hook should I use for kings?

thanks, Wes

Questions are kind of vague grouse.... Are you tying a specific fly? The answers change depending on what pattern you are tying.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Stop by 3 Rivers Fly & Tackle. Great guys in that shop. You won't feel like you have to buy something.

Some online resources worth exploring:
    http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/
    http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/

Good luck.

Use any color hook you want. Never heard of the color mattering, but with all the colors now available - who knows?
    Here's a good video tutorial - using 2/0 hooks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-Jn...eature=related
    Check the regs though - there has been a limit on hook gap.
    Good luck.

Hook color does not matter as much as you may think. Though some of us feel like matching a hook to the dubbing is nice, it really doesn't matter. Buy hooks that don't break the bank, practice tying, then dip into savings to " livin" things up

Don

I'm with Don h - hook color is not very important IMHO. In fact, I find the more exact a tied fly looks to the real bug it is imitating, the less effective it is. Most of us have had the experience of killing it on the river with a beat up fly that has been chomped on and shredded by fish after fish. Swap it out for a new one and there are no more takers. Well tied flies that are suggestive are the way to go. Don't lose sleep over the color of your hooks - just make sure they are sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by DSFlyman View Post
    I'm with Don h - hook color is not very important IMHO. In fact, I find the more exact a tied fly looks to the real bug it is imitating, the less effective it is. Most of us have had the experience of killing it on the river with a beat up fly that has been chomped on and shredded by fish after fish. Swap it out for a new one and there are no more takers. Well tied flies that are suggestive are the way to go. Don't lose sleep over the color of your hooks - just make sure they are sharp.

Absolutely. Whenever I have fishing days like that I always dread having to change or lose that fly to a snag. Taking the point of another hook to a fresh fly and "giving it a treatment" works pretty well though.

That makes sense - that hungry trout won't inspect potential food for perfection... and that less symmetry, less tidy might make a fly more realistic. Good points, DSFlyman, .338WM.

Also true IMO, that sometimes fish will take something different - something out of the ordinary, especially on slow days. The only steelhead I saw landed one Fall day was on a black sculpin pattern with a ...chartreuese head.
    A change of hook color might be just the thing for fishing those slow days.

Good thread.