Thread: Tired of the "Armstrong" method!

Default Tired of the "Armstrong" method!

I guess I am at the age where brains outweigh brawn. Plus my kids are at the age where they want a bit more speed out of "motor floater". The old tender with F4 just wasn't cutting it anymore. We stepped up to a 10'2" aluminum hulled RIB with an F15. With full fuel and motor it weighs in at 260 plus pounds. I happen to know a couple of guys that have a mind for making stuff work. We came up with this crane to load and off load "motor floater". It is powered by a 3000 pound atv winch that is mounted in the head. I think that the weak point here is MONO HULL.

This was the first weekend that we really put the new crane to use. It works flawlessly! No more hauling the tender up onto the roof for me again. With fuel we are hoisting about 260 pounds and the crane never skipped a beat.

I couldn't be happier with its performance.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Looks great. How did you mount the crane?

I thought I had pictures of the build, but I guess I don't. I will take more when I am out this next week. The down pipe for the crane has two sleeves of UHMW that fit at the top and bottom. It rotates very smoothly. It slides down into a slightly larger tube that is welded to both the side wall and rear bulkhead in the head. It is a very sturdy set up. I will be adding an attachment point mid davit to hook my pot puller to. Then I can get rid of the davit on my port side.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Man I though the post was about me for a minute..... that's my name in the title.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Looks great, Pete!