Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great hunt!

Default Great hunt!

We headed out of town planning to hit the 5:30 tunnel to Whittier. The seas were flat and the sky was blue. We hit our hunt location after sunset. This time of the year, the sun really never really sinks below the horizon. This is about 11:30 pm:

We have had a huge high pressure system over the area for the past week. The temperatures were warm. My experience has been that the bears stay off the beach until later in the evening when we have had a string of warm days. We cruised the hunt area in my new aluminum hulled RIB twice throughout the day. No bears were spotted, but it was a nice cruise. Just before 8pm we hopped back in "Motor Floater" for the evening hunt. We planned to hit an area that was not visible from the water. I let my two hunting partners off on the beach to start still hunting the tidal gut while I anchored the tender off shore. I would then head up over the alder patch and meet them over on the other side. I peeked through the alders to see if they were there yet and spotted a solid bear about 90 yards across the intertidal area. The bear was looking down the gut, towards where my friends should be coming from. I slowly inched my way up and through the alders for a better view and could see Scott with his .338 rested over his knee. This was Scott's first try for black bears and really his first big game hunt. The bear put its head down and started grazing again. The bear turned broadside, the shot rang out, and the bear dropped right in its tracks. He had his first bear down. I like seeing them die right on the beach.

We took several photographs and started taking the bear down. We harvested the quarters, back straps, and a beautiful hide.

We decided to head to a friend's lodge to utilize the dock to flesh the hide, pull the skull, and shake the bones out of the feet.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

On the way to the lodge we drifted a few spots for halibut and picked up some nice eaters as well as a 90 pounder.

We had a few eagles waiting for scraps as we fleshed the bear and trimmed the meat.

I never get bored watching eagles. They are something else.

We awoke to another blue bird day. It happened to be Memorial Day. A pic to remind us how lucky we are to live where we do:

We couldn't have asked for a better weekend. Great company, great food, a great bear, and flat seas. Man, I love the Sound. I am heading out on Sunday with my 1st and 3rd grader. They want Dad to take them bear hunting. Life is good!

Looks and sounds like an ideal hunt in every respect. Thanks for letting us in on it !

Great story, thanks for sharing! A great bear, huge halibut and eagles - I love Alaska!
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

So how about you show us how to shake the bones out of the feet, didn't know it was that easy!! Congrats to the new hunter. Hope your 1st and 3rd grader connect too! Have a great weekend.

Looks like more fun than should be legal ~~LOL!!~~

Way cool.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    So how about you show us how to shake the bones out of the feet, didn't know it was that easy!! Congrats to the new hunter. Hope your 1st and 3rd grader connect too! Have a great weekend.
    Do you wear socks? If you do and take them off on occassion, you can pull the feet. I remove the foot a the wrist and hang it by a loop allowing the hide to pull down and towards the tips of the "fingers". Bears have the same number of joints in their fingers as we do. Just skin down to the 3rd knuckle and separate the joint. Make sense? I will try and take pictures if I connect next week.

Last edited by spoiled one; 06-02-2011 at 23:50. Reason: forgot a few things

Congrats on the quick hunt and a nice looking bear Pete! I also like the looks of "motor floater" and the sweet dock you built for it on your cabin roof.

Good luck to you and your kiddos!

Great Hunt, Great Bear, Well Told "Great" Story, Thanks

Especially for all the pics, Congrats
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Do you wear socks? If you do and take them off on occassion, you can pull the feet. I remove the foot a the wrist and hang it by a loop allowing the hide to pull down and towards the tips of the "fingers". Bears have the same number of joints in their fingers as we do. Just skin down to the 3rd knuckle and separate the joint. Make sense? I will try and take pictures if I connect next week.

Is that you in the picture? If so, I plumbed your nice big house!

Great pictures, Pete! It's hard to have a bad time on the water with weather like that. Awesome!

Excellent trip and hunt. Congrats.

Wonderful pictures and story. Congrats on the success all the way around.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Great hunt, even more impressive is the 90 pound halibut out of Whittier!
    Tennessee

Great weather, friends and flat seas make for great trips!!! Congrats to all.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Wow what a great trip! A few more months and I will be at it again! Congratulations guys.

Great post, beautiful pictures!

Spoiled One,
    Wow, some kind of perfect trip. Great bear, big halibut, great friends.....you had it all.
    Congratulations. Makes many of us remember why we are here in Alaska.
    Fine pictures, thanks for sharing with us.
    dennis

Wow, terrific hunt, pictures and story!! Thanks for sharing and I hope your kids bag some big ones!!

Congrats on a successful bear hunt! The pics of the eagle are great - always enjoy watching them. So now that we got the congratulations out of the way - what time do you want us all there for a halibut dinner???
    Karma is like a rubber band; it can only stretch so far before it comes back and smacks you in the face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast