Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LittleSu Weekend!

Arrow LittleSu Weekend!

Hey guys!

A friend and I are going to head out on saturday for some fishing on the little su!
    I was wondering if anyone else has been out there recently and can tell me how things are going down there? Should we go to the highway crossing or the Boat Launch?
    We don't have a boat so we are probly going to either hike down to the island downstream from the launch, or hike a bit upstream and try our luck there.
    What do you guys think?
    I'm going to be tossing flies while shes going to be using a spincaster. Any fly/lure recomendations?

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

A couple of members reported a few kings caught there over memorial weekend. The were using vibrax spinners from what the pictures showed. Im planning on heading up there next weekend and possibly sheep/willow creek as well. Let me know how it goes when you get back.

I've been out the last couple mornings at 6am until around 8:30 am. At the boat launch I've been hiking upstream a few hundred yards to the first good hole. The water is high and stained, give you an idea no visible beach. I've been using a #5 and #6 blue vibrax and magwarts. But with that said I haven't seen a fish caught, or even role. Most of the boats in the river have been going down stream. A few boats come up to the hole I'm fishing, back troll it then head down stream. I'm holding out the fish will be there sooner or later. I'll be back in the morning.

how far down stream do you need to hike to hit a good hole???

thanks

If you hike down stream using a trail there is a small island in the river that becomes visible after about a fourth of a mile. if you walk onto the downstream side of the island you could see a small beach on it. there is a gravel bar that is underwater that continues down stream. I fish on the gravel bar so that I can cast into both "deep" channels on the su. Never caught a king there though... but I think my luck is good this weekend!

4 on the board Tuesday, Zero yesterday and 5 when I left at noon today. It can only get better.

Bill

This weekend should pick up better than it did this week.
    The commercial openers are every Monday for the next few weeks, so Tuesday & Wednesday are gonna suck anyways.

The little beach on the downstream side of the island was underwater Wed morning. I tested the freeboard on my waders and soaked my backpack crossing over. I covered both channels shore to shore with #6 vibrax, a 7/8 pixie, and a chart/black moal to no avail. The water was bad enough that I would have had to hit one in the nose for it to know something was there. Hopefully the water will be down and clearer when you go. Good luck!

It looks more and more like I am going to try my luck on the lil su where it crosses the parks highway. Is there any evidence to suggest that kings have made it up that far yet?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    It looks more and more like I am going to try my luck on the lil su where it crosses the parks highway. Is there any evidence to suggest that kings have made it up that far yet?
    I think you would be better off going to the Burma landing and walking up or down stream then the bridge in Houston for this weekend. But then again who knows, the water was a little high so maybe the fish are not holding as they normally would????

Hmmm... this is true, I think Im gonna go to burma unless there is some breaking news about it before I go.

Hmmm... this is true, I think Im gonna go to burma unless there is some breaking news about it before I go.
    Dont forget to let us know how it is. Im thinking of heading down there next weekend.

Ill take pictures and video, so you can see how it is and judge if you want to go or not ^_^

Ill take pictures and video, so you can see how it is and judge if you want to go or not ^_^
    That would be awesome thanks!

Because it was sprinkling in anchorage my friend didn't want to go -_-

Fairweather!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

They net every Monday??? I was planning on going out in the morning. That really makes me not want to waste the gas. Any other spots in the area from the bank worth hitting?

Ship seems to be the only other place any fish are being caught from the bank
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

so have the water levels gone down yet? And whats the count on the board?

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Ship seems to be the only other place any fish are being caught from the bank
    if you count Jacks as "being caught" then yes. there seems to be 1 or 2 kings per tide way down at the mouth. everywhere else is dead.

I was out at the Little Su a couple days ago and their had been 5 fish caught at the park and the water was still high and coffee color.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast