Thread: How do you get horsepower increase from a printed circuit board ?

Default How do you get horsepower increase from a printed circuit board ?

My old beater bayrunner is down at the yamaha shop waiting in line for its new 50 hp outboard to get bolted on. Now, its my understanding I can increase the hp on this 50 up to a 60 by installing a different circuit board on the engine. So...I got to wondering how does it do that ? How does the electronics increase horsepower ? Does the circuit board allow the engine to run at higher rpm's or is it by some other means this magical power increase comes about ?

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    My old beater bayrunner is down at the yamaha shop waiting in line for its new 50 hp outboard to get bolted on. Now, its my understanding I can increase the hp on this 50 up to a 60 by installing a different circuit board on the engine. So...I got to wondering how does it do that ? How does the electronics increase horsepower ? Does the circuit board allow the engine to run at higher rpm's or is it by some other means this magical power increase comes about ?
    It changes the fuel map program, so typically the injectors give it more fuel.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

With the old Yami's to change HP you just put in a different throttle linkage, this limited the max RPM, but you still had a lot of hole shot to get up on plane. I would be interested if the board did the samething.

Ok, I think I see it. There is no electronic limiter on rpm, rpm is the effect not the cause. rpm does not limit fuel, fuel scheduling limits fuel. rpm merely follows the amount of fuel allowed into the engine.

The electronic limiter controls fuel allowed to the engine, and the circuit board allows more fuel to the engine. It would be like changing fuel scheduling on a 50 from 0-100% to 0-120%, or a number there about.

Most programmers and chips in the automotive market add power through a combination of fuel and timing maps. More fuel alone will just make the engine run rich, while advancing timing = HP.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"