Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Recomendations

Default Equipment Recomendations

I'm planning my first trip up to Alaska & also my first hunting trip for anything other than birds. (hunting in a deer stand in Florida never apealed to me) I am starting to assemble a list of the equipment I need, but I'm having alot of difficulty with what brands/models to buy. My hunt will be an unguided bear/moose hunt (september) in one of the following: Unit 17, 18 or 19 (any recomendations on which of these units would be appreciated). The following our some of my equipment questions:

Rifle & Scope: Looking @ a 340 Weatherby with Leupold 2.5-8 scope, should I carry a lower caliber rifle also (may want to shoot a wolf)

Clothing: Bear in mind I'm a Florida boy
    Brand: King of the mountain seem like good stuff but is it worth
    extra money as opposed to the Cabela's stuff (are there any other recomended brands

Knives: What brand, style & size

Sleeping Bag: What brand & temp rating

Thumbs up

First you won't be able to hunt bear unless you are a resident. non-residents are required by law to be guided.

next the 340 and scope is good. I wouldn't go out and buy another if you don't have to. Might leave a bog hole in a wolf pelt, but taxidermist should be able to sew it up

AS far as clothes, I am not familiar with King of the Mountain and all I can say is concentrate on windproof stuff. Cabelas Berber Fleece is what I use. (for hunts other than mountain goats and sheep)

Knives..Tons of Info on that in archives along with Sleeping bags, don't want to get that debate started again , but I use the Wiggy's zero degree and gerber/cold steel knives

A little info anyway

Thanks for the advice...I was planning black bear, am I oerrect in that can be hunted unguided?

Yes that is correct.

A non reident can hunt black bears unguided.

Since you do not have much big game hunting experience I would suggest you read everything you can find especially as it relates to hunting Alaska. If you check this site you will find a link to books and many of them will give you great advice.

You rifle selection is fine and should serve you well, use the search feature of the forum at an attempt to find answers to your equiment etc questions as those topics has been covered in great detail in the past.

Good luck

Doug

Default research

Check out BARNEY'S SPORTS CHALET website : www.barneyssports.com he has a good set of check lists and reccomendations for hunting equipment and they are animal specific. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't buy your equipment there, but they offer some very good stuff, and it would be a good starting place. Good Luck with your hunt.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Hunting gear

In general guidance for Alaskan gear is "the best you can afford"

340 Wby - fine, but use a good bullet

sleeping bag - depends on location, altitude, and time of year - prob 10 to 20 degree synthetic will work

King of the Mountain - way good but heavy and expensive, also wool is MUCH heavier than synthetic when wet and harder to dry - for one time hunt Cabela's stuff prob OK

good glass - see forum archives for opinions

good boots - ditto above

good rain gear - ditto above

here is one guides gear list for sheep hunting to hopefully give you some idea: http://www.billymollsadventures.com/gearlist.htm

LEAVE ALL YOUR COTTON CLOTHES IN FLORIDA!!! Including your cotton skivies. Except for the ones you wear riding on the jet getting here. DO NOT buy any cotton clothing for your hunt. Except a cotton hankerchief or two. They come in handy when you need to soak up sweat or water. Get 100
    % synthetic everything or synthetic/wool blend clothing. I have pants and shirts that are 60% or more polyester or Acrylic and the rest wool. They work good.

Get in tip top physical shape, get real good with your rifle and hunt with someone who has some outdoor experience if you can.

Most of all have a great hunt! Alaska's an awesome place!

Default I may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Cmizo - I have spent the last 8 months researching gear and advise from these fine folks for my move to AK. Shoot me a PM one specific at a time and I will try to pass on what I found to be the cream of the crop based on personal opinions and the opinions of many others here. Or atleast narrow down your choices and help limit your research time.
    buck

Birds to moose is an awfully big step. Sure your ready for that large of an animal?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Birds to moose is an awfully big step. Sure your ready for that large of an animal?

"Did you see the size of that chicken??" quote from the Movie "Young Guns" Sorry I thought it was funny!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Thumbs up That Is Funny!!!!

I gotta second the notion though. I would never talk anyone out of a great hunt, but I might advise that you take a quick trip between now and then to get yourself acuanted with the game. Mulee hunts can be had pretty cheap in the west, solo whitetail hunts can be done real cheap up north, heck a hog hunt is a step above bird hunting (very short step). If nothing else, get out in the mountains and do some camping.

Maybe I'm blowing smoke by assuming you've never been, but it's a good idea nonetheless to get out and test your skills. I like to take a sleeping bag, knife and firestarters out to an unknown land and fend for myself for three days alone every once in a while. It's a great way to train and create confidence in your skills and there is something about the experience of being all alone yet a part of so much that is somewhat spiritual and a special way of "finding one's self".

off the box...

Default don't be sucked in to the highest priced gear you see

You can spend a boat load of dough on gear and have something superior for less money. some bargains I have found are totally under rated in the catalogs, but are the ticket in the field.

as mentioned the cabela's berber fleece is a best buy

helly hansen imperitech has a strong following and is priced right

micro-tex...natgear fleece.....winners

a pair of xtratuffs or equal are nice to keep you dry

I think that wiggy's bags warranty is top notch, his rants.....not so much

bullets, that is a serious load of powder, use a good bullet

better have a good knife, or two, or three and a sharpener, I use a speedy sharp and an eze lap

can you start a fire with just what is in your pocket? if not, learn (cotton balls and vaseline work good)

cotton kills, don't try to prove it wrong, it's been done

if you can't afford a good set of bino's, bag that bear tag and apply the cash to some good glass.

there are some good books out by larry bartlett, dennis confer, chris batin.....and many others, worth reading for sure.

I buy thorlo or smartwool socks, at 15 bux a pair they are not cheap and I trust them more then costco specials.

tents, stoves, lanterns, packs, waders, boots......search the archives for them.....lots of reading

I reall like my big agnes sleeping pad, the inflateable insulated one.....light and compact.

there is a start

don't forget a saw and an axe.... and.......

I'll secound every thing here and state again cotton has no place in the bush!!!!!Definatly try to get out after something biger than a bird a white tail can be hard enough to field dress without experiance a moose is all together a diferent critter. Maybe consider a Caribou hunt for your first Alaskan trip. Also I think you might have a beter time if you focus on one species, you could always pick up a bear if one happens your way. I know your planning a self guided hunt but if you can swing it a guide is worth the money for folks with limited experiance, he'll keep ya safe and put ya on game making a successful hunt alot more likely.

Default Swamp Donkey

Good advise, a moose is a horse with antlers. Took me over 3 hours with help and I consider myself good with a knife. Plus I killed it on level dry ground. Not in knee deep 30 something degree water. Cleaning a moose can be an overwhelming task. Caribou would be a much less intimidating task. Alaska takes it wanton waste laws very seriously as they should. You must remove all edible meat and the antlers must be in the last load. Mine dressed out at around 650 lbs of meat. Plus over a 100 for the hide and another 70 or so for the head and antlers. Many folks each year learn this lesson the expensive way. If you have your heart set just be prepared. Have a great hunt,

Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-08-2007 at 21:42. Reason: typo

get the best you can afford. that goes for everything. i didn't believe it prior to moving up here (and that has only been 2 months). everything up here really takes a beating. it just can't be helped. you really need the best you can get. prepare for every possible scenario you can think of.

i use polartec fleece for when it's cold. most people out here wear mickey mouse boots (locally referred to as bunny boots) because of the warmth, and you can dump water out of them. i've never liked the bulk. maybe someday i will.

bottom line is, if you compromise on anything, you could get into trouble. get the good stuff.

I would suggest a 1-5x or similar. The probablility of you hitting a moose from baseball throwing distance is excellent. Same-same with the bear.

I have Browning Hydrofleece/Gore-Tex/Scent Block parka and bibs and they work wonderfully. The bibs are too hot unless it is really chilly, but you can lay down on the ground and fall asleep (I did), and won't feel the chill.

Coleman gas stove (the pump-up kind), decent tent with some room. Don't get one of the super-hightech mountain tents, there isn't enough room in them. Just look for a tent that will have some room, is free standing, but has loops for tie-downs. As for a sleeping bag: look for the synthetics like Quallo-Fill, they do not hold water and will keep you warm even if they get wet. Stay away from down.

Get yourself some insulated gumboots that you can attach to your belt. You don't need waders per se, but you will occaisionally have to wallow through swampy areas.

Think about renting a satelite phone for the duration of the hunt.

Wink Compass and Map!

What some of these folks have discribed is part of their hunting system. They have one ,and know how to use it! I would also suggest you get your self a good compass, and map, maps of the area you intend to hunt,or camp. GPS is a fine tool but can let you down when you need it the most. Kifau web site has info on map/ compass use, it can save your life, but you have to learn to use it BEFORE you need them! Seems woodcraft is going by the wayside, what a shame! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Cmizo, take all the advice from these guys, I have hunted the South East (South Carolina) and hunting up here as compared to Florida is like night and day, yeah don't need the the snake boots here, but they will still work. They are right, leave all the Cotton at home, get the stuff they are talking about because it wics the sweat right from your body. Yes you will need alot of gear compatable to hunt "Wild Alaska". You'll have the experience of a lifetime up here, but don't let it change your mind to move here...Its already starting to get crowded.

Wink

Here is the link for compass/ map use on Kifaru"s site www.kifaru.net/ for those interested. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast