Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The final anwser to "What gun to use for bear defense?"

That is fantastic. I have to have one. Thanks for the reference.

Default It will be banned!

It obviously be banned as having no sporting uses. Remember the classic street sweeper of years ago?

I thought the ultimate was that .600 NE handgun that someone custom made in Austria some years ago.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    It obviously be banned as having no sporting uses. Remember the classic street sweeper of years ago?

I thought the ultimate was that .600 NE handgun that someone custom made in Austria some years ago.
    Those are still available in a variety of cartridge choices if you have the necessary coin. Can you imagine the fireball? It would blind both the bear and the shooter; prolly look like a small atom bomb going off!

http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I was thinking more of the revolver than someone had custom made to the tune of around $16,000 or so. Made the S&W Xframes run into a corner and hide and shake and whimper in fright.

There was UTube or other video in the thing. Weighted in a around 16 lbs and apparently the recoil wasn't too bad. Muzzle blast and flash would have been awsome; my 4" .500 is bad enough. I'm not sure if a .600 caliber pistol is legal in the US since it above .5" but it would certainly classify as destructive device.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Those are still available in a variety of cartridge choices if you have the necessary coin. Can you imagine the fireball? It would blind both the bear and the shooter; prolly look like a small atom bomb going off!

http://www.pfeifer-waffen.at/
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It LOOKS impressive, like something a Flying Saucer Pilot would have on board, but I can't imagine anything more impractical, for any shooting purpose.

Owing to it's lightweight, and short barrel, it oughta be BLAST, literally, and one that you can feel, as well as hear to the utmost.

I can't imagine anything, much more unpleasant, with the possible exception of the bear.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've put the Kel-Tes KSG 2nd on my list after my upgrade to a Gen4 G-22. It has the potential of being an outstanding cruiser shotgun. Need to select a slug? Flip da switch and shuck out the 00Buck for a lanch-ready slug. As opposed to now where you have to shuck the chambered round, dump the round on the lifter, pull a slug from the ammo carrier and pop it in the port and close the action.

The rails give the ability to mount lights, grips, sling swivels and sights without making any mods to the gun.

This thing is ready made for social work.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

I don't doubt they'll try, but it's actually imported guns that the waffen BATFEces thugs are looking into banning at the moment.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I've put the Kel-Tes KSG 2nd on my list after my upgrade to a Gen4 G-22. It has the potential of being an outstanding cruiser shotgun. Need to select a slug? Flip da switch and shuck out the 00Buck for a lanch-ready slug. As opposed to now where you have to shuck the chambered round, dump the round on the lifter, pull a slug from the ammo carrier and pop it in the port and close the action.

The rails give the ability to mount lights, grips, sling swivels and sights without making any mods to the gun.

This thing is ready made for social work.
    That is such an instant classic line I am going to shamelessly appropriate it.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

With that lever to select the feed tube, and with it being a pump action, and probably a manual safety, that seems like an awful lot to have to remember how to operate when a bear is closing at 30 mph from 30 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It LOOKS impressive, like something a Flying Saucer Pilot would have on board, but I can't imagine anything more impractical, for any shooting purpose.

Owing to it's lightweight, and short barrel, it oughta be BLAST, literally, and one that you can feel, as well as hear to the utmost.

I can't imagine anything, much more unpleasant, with the possible exception of the bear.

Smitty of the North
    I think Smitty is just trying to decrease interest in the piece so he gets his sooner ;-)

quite a weapon there ! I doubt you will see many of these in "civilian" hands .... and for this fat fingered "cowboy" there is too much to remember in the heat of battle, at least with a pissed off bear !

Whoooooaa....... I said something worthy of being quoted.
    Now what ?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    I think Smitty is just trying to decrease interest in the piece so he gets his sooner ;-)
    Naw, you guys can hav'em. I don't want nuthin like that, goin off so close to my ears.

Lemme know how ENJOYABLE they are to shoot.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I agree with Smitty: those short barrels are way too hard on the ears!
    "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

I agree. Good stuff.

And that Kel-Tec is sweet. I gotta have one of those.

You need the Kel-Tec in a back scabbard and this little guy on a lanyard string (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCInkw3641w).
    At least after emptying both of them, you would be deaf and knocked out so you wound not hear or feel the bear eating you.

Quote Originally Posted by saint_nick3 View Post
    You need the Kel-Tec in a back scabbard and this little guy on a lanyard string (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCInkw3641w).
    At least after emptying both of them, you would be deaf and knocked out so you wound not hear or feel the bear eating you.
    The only way the bear would be eating you is if you are crappy shot. Is that what you are worried about? Your accuracy that bad? If so, bypass the rifle and grab some lubricant instead...

I think the 40mm grenade launcher with high explosive should end the discussion as the best bear gun.

The only way the bear would be eating you is if you are crappy shot. Is that what you are worried about? Your accuracy that bad? If so, bypass the rifle and grab some lubricant instead...
    I'm not worried about my accuracy, I do just fine with the browning buckmark I carry 99.9% of the time in the scary woods. You haven't heard, the brown bears are now acquiring ballistic body armor and steroids off of the black market (which is supposedly run by the black bears , coincidence?? maybe). I was not able to get the depleted uranium bullets through TSA or the Canadian boarder patrol, therefore the bear will not die with some weak hard cast lead slug. Hope that answers your question.

The Kel-tec is cool but, I thinks this one would be my choice,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast