Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is a Glock such Mystery?

Default Why is a Glock such Mystery?

Why do so many folks not understand the Glock pistol?

It is just a different way of doing things in modern times, with modern materials and modern machinery.

Yeah it looks ugly and sounds funny when you dry fire. It feels like the grips were shaped from a 2x4 only uncomfortable. It is ugly and has the worst single action trigger on the planet. Other than that, it is one helluva fine sidearm. It's very reliable and accurate, durable and user friendly. It leaves funny tracks in the primer and its rifling isn't really rifling at all, come to think of it, it is weird.....and misunderstood.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

No idea Murphy... I started shooting a Glock sometime in the mid-90s about the same time I picked up shooting in the fledgling IDPA. I was pretty experienced with revolvers and had some experience with other makes of autos.

Once I finally got the hang of the Glock, which in retrospect meant unlearning all the peculiarities of other pistols, it was a beautiful thing. Fast, Accurate, Almost Indestructible.

I caught heck from a bunch of the other guys at the range but my scores were better (often MUCH better), I had fewer failures despite a lackluster cleaning program. I shot loads of cheap ammo that other folks would cringe at. Since then, every time I've went Glock-less I've soon rectified that by buying another.

IMHO to understand a Glock you can't be too much of a gun wonk tinkerer- you just have to forget about it and shoot it. A lot.

I did not know that there was a mystery around them.

The only thing I have found mysterious about Glocks are the owners that kill themselves or their friends by forgetting to read the warning on the slide. To paraphrase: this weapon will fire with the magazine removed. People open the slide to check it, then drop the mag, then the gun goes BANG and they act all surprized. "I unloaded it!" Umm, no you did not. You chambered a round then you removed the magazine, then you fired the round that you chambered. There is no mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I did not know that there was a mystery around them.

The only thing I have found mysterious about Glocks are the owners that kill themselves or their friends by forgetting to read the warning on the slide. To paraphrase: this weapon will fire with the magazine removed. People open the slide to check it, then drop the mag, then the gun goes BANG and they act all surprized. "I unloaded it!" Umm, no you did not. You chambered a round then you removed the magazine, then you fired the round that you chambered. There is no mystery.
    Well....I wasn't referring to the mystery of idiots. We can't do much for them but you hit upon something that bothers me.
    Instructions:!!?? Does a person need to be told to unload a gun before he points it at his leg or his girlfriend or the new sofa and yanks on the trigger????

I don't think that problem has to do with the Glock or the instructions that no one reads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Glock Myths:

Glocks won't be detected by an airport metal detector.

Glocks can't shoot cast bullets.

Glocks will fire even if you push the slide back a quarter inch.

Glocks are the best gun 'cuz all the police departments have them.

Glocks will fire under water.

Glocks are the safest pistol in the world.

Glocks are the only gun strong enough to handle the 10 MM.

Glocks are plastic and too weak to handle powerful calibers.

Glock made the 45 GAP because the 45 ACP had too much recoil for the plastic gun.

I don't think there is any more "mystery" around the Glock than any other gun.

People who are familiar with guns know about the Glock - people that don't know guns will posses a lot of myths about many guns including the 1911 Colt that has now been around for over 100 years.

As pointed out the Glock and plastic frames are a natural evolution in modern handguns. Make cheaper guns by using perts that are less expensive to produce. At the same time try to make them more idiot proof for the masses and try to pick up some reliabilty and accuracy along the way.

The Walther P38 was a similar step in the evolution of autoloader military pistols. It was double action and cheaper produce than the Luger. It also incorporated a better safety.

It wil lbe interesting to look back a 100 years from now and see how the Glock is viewed. Unfortunately the frames of Glocks of today most likely will not be be in operable condition. Plastics just don't have the lifespan of metals - the plastic degrades in time.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The only mystery to me about the Glock was the "kill the owner " boxes the first guns came in. Then Glocks retro-fit on the problem a sticker placed on the box that says "do not place a loaded gun in this box". ROCKET SCIENCE, Huh !
    Years of shooting a handgun with a flat backstrap have reduced my desire for Glock ownership, instead EAA has my current intrest.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Well....I wasn't referring to the mystery of idiots. We can't do much for them but you hit upon something that bothers me.
    Instructions:!!?? Does a person need to be told to unload a gun before he points it at his leg or his girlfriend or the new sofa and yanks on the trigger????

I don't think that problem has to do with the Glock or the instructions that no one reads.
    Like Iíve said before, trying to ďidiot proofĒ (ie warnings engraved on guns) things that canít ever be made idiot proof only gets more idiots heart.

I donít get the idiots aiming ďemptyĒ guns at people ether. As a kid I was soundly whooped ifin I covered a person with the muzzle of my cap gun, I donít point guns at people less they need shootin and donít allow that to happen around me ether. Stupidest posable horseplay I can think of and we hear of it way too often!

Murphy Glock is no mystery to me. I was at a night shoot about 1984 when someone handed me a gun in the dark. I ran it dry and said wow, that is the most natural pointing gun I ever shot . . . I want one, what is it? We then went to the dome light and I backed out, didnít get one till the mid 90s. Gawd is they ugly and everything else you said but they just work so dang good I canít help but love them!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    - people that don't know guns will posses a lot of myths about many guns including the 1911 Colt that has now been around for over 100 years.
    No kidding but even by gun guys, I canít tell how often Iíve been told that a 1911 canít hit the side of a barn past 30 yards because the barrel floats in the slide. Bull pucky!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    No kidding but even by gun guys, I canít tell how often Iíve been told that a 1911 canít hit the side of a barn past 30 yards because the barrel floats in the slide. Bull pucky!
    It is puzzling Murphy! I bet there isn't another firearm in the industry that once experienced will change a persons mind more so than a Glock.

I swore that I would never own one of those pieces of junk! Why they have little hunks of tin sticking out of plastic all over the place. I was so unimpressed......all of the gun writers that were ranting about the mighty Glock were driving me plumb nuts. If one of my gun rags showed up and it had yet another picture of one of those butt ugly, plastic squirtgun looking things on the front then it got tossed in the corner.

Then my late buddy Ben Crawford horse traded me into one and it even came with a bunch of ammo. So I was going to do like anyone else would do...shoot up the ammo and get rid of it. Ya know what? With real ammo in a Glock you can't hear the spring go dooiinnkk! As a matter of fact I was hitting every thing that I was shooting at! I shot up all 5 boxes of 50 that came with the gun in one sitting and was wishing that I had more. That night found me sitting in my lazy boy dry firing (doinking) that thing at bad guys on t.v.. One shooting session and it was already growing on me. The next week I was actually buying more ammo to run through that Glock.

A while later I traded that Glock 9mm and my Lethal Weapon 1 vintage 92 9mm off for a brand new Glock 22 in 40 S&W and a whole bunch of ammo. Three sets of night sights and a whole bunch of shooting later I actually carry my Glock like I'm proud of it. Of all the guns that I have ever owned none started off as far in the hole in terms of having to win me over as the Glock did. However on this day I find it easy to say without batting an eye that I have never owned a handgun that was in the same league as my Glock when it comes to my trust and my confidence in regards to it's ability in my hands to protect my family and I.

Thus the Glock mystery is solved for me Murphy but it didn't come easy!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    ....A while later I traded that Glock 9mm and my Lethal Weapon 1 vintage 92 9mm off for a brand new Glock 22 in 40 S&W and a whole bunch of ammo. Three sets of night sights and a whole bunch of shooting later I actually carry my Glock like I'm proud of it...
    I have the same model Glock and LOVE the way it shoots and handles. In fact of all the hand guns I own, which is about 8, the Glock and Rugers new LC9 are my favorite to shoot and carry. I too heard the "myths" and gun talk radio and mags that put Glock on the pedestal of pistols, I despised the notion of even buying one. After years and much thought of getting one, its one purchase I do not regret. It feels very comfortable in my hands, and I seem to be more accurate with it than my other guns.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

I had similar notions about the Beretta 92 that many have about the Glocks. Then a kid gave me one as a present after I turned his life around a decade ot so ago. I finally took it out and shot it. I'm no fan of the 9mm but the gun could shoot and it was very easy to shoot accurately - I was impressed as heck with the gun but the 9mm cartridge is just too dang small.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I have no idea. It comes from ignorance or bias as far as I'm concerned. I trust my life to a Glock everyday and quite frankly I'm resistant when someone suggests I go to something else. It works. I trust it'll work when the time comes for me to use it to pull mine or someone else's bacon out of the fire.

Guys on my department are getting all doey-eyed over the S&W M&Ps and they are good pistols........ as long as they are the Pro models without the internal lock, the mag disconnect, and the stupid inside take-down lever........ but I see no need to change. M&P triggers actually suck worse than Glocks.

The best thing about the M&P is that their competition (a good thing) forced Glock to go back to the drawing board to try and prefect perfection and integrate features Glockers have growled about for years such as the interchangable backstraps, grip texture and ambidextrous mag releases which are now incorporated into the Gen4s.

Now we have two very good, well-made highly reputable pistols to choose from with similar features.
    Now what ?

I didn't know they were all that mysterious. I had a Glock 21 for several years and shot it quite a bit and at work got to shoot a couple thousand rounds through a Glock 22. They are both accurate and reliable but I don't like the triggers and for me they are pointed up and to the left every time I bring one up to shoot. I got rid of my 21 and use either a 1911 or a S&W28 both of which point where they are supposed to without trying. Glocks are not bad guns. I just don't like them much. A quick take down and look inside removes any mystery pretty quick.

Thanks for that story EKC. That kinda reminds me of the old Smuckers jelly slogan. "When you're ugly and awkward a a Glock, you've got to be good!"

I believe there was another gun a while back that was treated like an ugly, redheaded step child....it was made of plastic, designed by Matel.....everybody hated it.

Thanks for that story EKC. That kinda reminds me of the old Smuckers jelly slogan. "When you're ugly and awkward a a Glock, you've got to be good!"

I believe there was another gun a while back that was treated like an ugly, redheaded step child....it was made of plastic, designed by Matel.....everybody hated it.
    True but there were good reasons to gripe about the M16 as first issued. Lots of guys lost their life for lack of a cleaning kit and forward assist! Dirty she wonít lock up by spring then your SOL without a way to shove the bolt forward manually . . . then it was so light it didnít even make a good club. Dang fine gun once they got things fixed up but the start was sure good reason for lookin at them all squinty eyed.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Safety:
    Glock pistols are designed with three independent safety mechanisms to prevent accidental discharge. The system, designated "Safe Action" by Glock, consists of an external integrated trigger safety and two automatic internal safeties; a firing pin safety and a drop safety.

The external safety is a small inner lever contained in the trigger. Pressing the lever activates the trigger bar and sheet metal connector.

The firing pin safety is a solid hardened steel pin that, in the secured state, blocks the firing pin channel (disabling the firing pin in its longitudinal axis). It is pushed upward to release the firing pin for firing only when the trigger is actuated and the safety is pushed up through the backward movement of the trigger bar.

This firing pin safety also serves the same function as a disconnector as used in such other pistols such as the 1911.
    A tab on the trigger connector (trigger bar) actuates this firing pin safety only when the slide is fully closed. When the slide is slightly rearward, the connector tab cannot reach the steel pin to disengage the firing pin safety. This system prevents the release of the firing pin (striker) unless the firing pin safety pin is depressed.

The drop safety guides the trigger bar in a ramp that is released only when direct rearward pressure is applied to the trigger.

The three safety mechanisms are automatically disengaged one after the other when the trigger is squeezed, and are automatically reactivated when the trigger is released.

This passive safety system omits the manipulation of traditional on-off levers, hammers or other external safeties as found in many other handgun designs.

As is the case with any mechanical device, a failure can occur in any of the various designs. A mechanical failure such as a broken spring, a worn part or a spring loaded part frozen due to shooters neglect in cleaning, can disable any safety be it automatic or manual. Some could argue that a manual safety is more positive. I disagree. I just replaced the manual safety on a 1911 design (newer Colt steel frame commander model) that allowed the pistol to fire with the manual safety up (on).

Default Way too complicated!

The concept of a hammer is still the best "safety" ever devised. The "hammer" has worked very well for the past 500 years or so of firearms history. Combined with an inertia firing pin or a hammer block nothing else is really needed for normal people that have a thumb that works. The "KISS" principle is still true today.

If the person with the gun is so untrained or mentally lame that they can't grasp the concept of a hammer they really shouldn't even have the gun. For semi-trained people with gun a double action only revolver would be a much better choice. The police got caught up in the fad when everyone started going to semi-autos but I think most departments would have been better off sticking with the simple revolver. The ugly DA top break Webley in .455 would be an excellent choice for many - cheap, simple, and effective.

Safety:
    Glock pistols are designed with three independent safety mechanisms to prevent accidental discharge. The system, designated "Safe Action" by Glock, consists of an external integrated trigger safety and two automatic internal safeties; a firing pin safety and a drop safety........ (rest deleted to save space) .......

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    True but there were good reasons to gripe about the M16 as first issued. Lots of guys lost their life for lack of a cleaning kit and forward assist! Dirty she wonít lock up by spring then your SOL without a way to shove the bolt forward manually . . . then it was so light it didnít even make a good club. Dang fine gun once they got things fixed up but the start was sure good reason for lookin at them all squinty eyed.
    I didn't get to SEA until '71 and by that time we pretty well figured out that you had to clean it every day but you are right, it was off to a bad start early.

I built a clone of the M16A1 slick side using surplus parts and the Nodak Spud semi-auto lower a year or so back...still has that same ****ed A1 stock spring twang when you shoot it and it brings back memories and not all good. Never missed the forward assist if you kept them clean with the chamber brush and used the ball powder rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I didn't get to SEA until '71 and by that time we pretty well figured out that you had to clean it every day but you are right, it was off to a bad start early.
    Me too. May to October. Had a Stoner, an Ithaca shotgun and a 1911 45.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast