What 5 lures would you not leave home without......
My wife and I are coming to the Kenai area to fish Sept. 2 thru Sept. 13. We are doing three guided fishing trips, but we wanted to fish on our own some too. I know the brands, Mepps, rooster tail, Panther Martain, Vibrex, Kwicfish (sp?). Just having trouble with size and color. Don't want to waist money on something that won't work.
If you could only take 5 lures for salmon and 5 for trout what would they be. Brand, size and color. Thanks
for salmon in september that would be silvers then... (bit late but on the off chance)
1) #4 Gamakatsu tied egg loop, 3 ft long 20 ~ 30lb leader with a red bead or small corkie... soo many uses for that setup.
2) Black Egg sucking leach, largest I can find.
3) Hot Pink Cheaters special medium sized, 18" leader.
4) Pink Coho Fly (local shop that makes and sells them in Eagle River)
5) absolute must!! #4 silver vibrax with the hot pink bell!!!!
for Trout.... ( don't fly fish but that would likely change the setup)
1) small bare hook on a 6 lb leader with a variety of beads and bait. (really thats all you need)
2) white streamer (Mepps makes them I think)
3) #2 bleeding vibrax, purple bell
4) pick any of the holographic type Panther Martins.
5) small brass and red spinner (doesn't matter the brand or make but I prefer Panther Martins)
Early September isn't late at all for the Kenai. Some smokin' hot action even into October!!!
I'll respond to the salmon side of the question.
Originally Posted by Dan_o
First off, buy NOTHING til you get to Soldotna. They will have everything you need at Trusty Hardware.... the right lures, the right sizes, and the right colors.... at better prices than you'll get anywhere in the midwest.
That said, if you're going to pitch hardware for coho you need only two lures....
1/2 or 7/8 oz Pixee spoon
#4 or #5 Vibrax spinner
If you have access to a boat, add KwikFish MagLips or WiggleWarts to the list.
As stated earlier, pink is a MUST. Metallic blue is great for sunny weather. Chartreuse and fluo flame/red are also good producers esp in dirty water.
"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
The KeenEye MD
Everything Doc said above. The only difference is I personnally prefer larger Vibrax spinnners size #6 (I got to have blue) Hope you have a great time!
Originally Posted by fishNphysician