Thread: Advice for August on Afognak

Default Advice for August on Afognak

Headed to Afognak during the end of August to hunt Deer. This is the first time on the island for my partner and I. We plan to head high in hopes of finding the deer and avoiding the bears. I assume the bears will be on the rivers then, but I have a few questions. I understand the island is not like many "typical" Alaska areas in terms of bears and aggressiveness. Those familiar with the island, would you recommend a bear fence AND cooking in a separate tent? Or would you recommend some other camp set up?

I have a tipi for sleeping, but thought about just using a fly (200yds away) for cooking. Any advice is welcome. Don't want to look like a total greenhorn, but want to be smart.

Bret

I guess the biggest question is: will you feel safer & sleep better using a bear fence & cooking away from the sleeping tipi? Seems like like a little extra work for a lot more peace of mind.
    Who cares what it "looks like".

Thanks Gary. You are right. I'm not too concerned about looking like a greenhorn. I'll wear black shoes and white socks if that's the "consensus view". Just trying to sort out fact/fiction about the real set-ups guys have used on Afognak. I think taking your advice would solve any concerns.

Bret

You are correct about the bears being low and the deer up high. Don't forget about the brush. Unless you have an established trail to the top you will be in for some brush cutting. Six foot high briars all the way to the top.

I wouldn't say that I am too too experienced yet with hunting Alaska, although I have been putting some time in and thus learning A LOT each year about hunting here. I've hunted the Izhut Bay/Duck mountain area for deer and elk and man did we see some bears! Down low we were seeing 20 a day. One ran right next to the tent while we "tried" to sleep! (We had no fence). Even like halfway up the mountain we had two encounters with bears. That being said, the pink forecast is very good there for the up coming season, bears should be fairly content down in the streams that time of year right?

Polardds is spot on with his comment on bush whacking. . .

don't ever assume the bears will be in the bottom, surveys have been done on bears at salmon streams and they've found some bears will travel 10 miles a day between feeding on the river. i know theres no mtn that tall on kodiak!!
    i haven't had problems with bears on afognak before, my expereience there is limited though but i did find on kodiak if i kept my meat to far from my camp the bears will pound on it, if i keep it close to camp they won't touch it. almost like they know human stuff and stear clear of it for the most part but once you put food away from you, you might as well just set it in their front yard with a sign on it...FREE MEAT.
    i cook in my tent, store food in my tent, skin deer in my vestibule and keep hides and capes in it as well and my meat pile is less than 30 yards out the front door. so far so good.
    only takes on bear though...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Yeah, I was thinking the same as BRWNBR here,
    have seen plenty of Bears just strolling around, covering major ground in summer, Way Up High,

So wouldn't count on being clear of their attention just because your camp is up off the Salmon Streams.
    They can really cover ground too, when out for a stroll. You'll be amazed.

I'll say also, I agree with the, "keep it all close together," idea,
    not that I have anywhere near the experience as Jake there, but I do agree,

the further away it is, from "Your Own Foul Human Odor" the more they will consider it free to explore and potentially consume
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Afognak Advice

I appreciate all of your input. That's the kind of stuff I was looking for. With that advice in mind, I think we will get a bear fence and keep a clean camp, and hang our meat and food when we out hunting. You are right, it only takes one bear that didn't read the "rule book", but it's great to hear from people who have first-hand experience.

Bret

mak:
    I'll be deer hunting the end of Oct on Afognak out of the state park's cabin at Pillar Lake. Do you know anything about elk/goats in the area? Also any insights about caribou (feral reindeer) that the regs mention for Unit 8 (Kodiak)?
    Thanks.

The Reindeer you mention, are on the far western end of Kodiak Island,...you won't see any on Afognak

check your regs book for Registration Elk potential, it might fit into your schedule,
    but there will be some serious hunting pressure during those seasons,
    and make sure you understand the Native Land issue on the island,...you can get a permit to hunt their land, but don't want to get on there without their permission

pretty sure you won't see any Goats there tho

That's cool country, have fun
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !