Thread: Igloo 162qt Marine Coolers for $140 at Lowes

Default Igloo 162qt Marine Coolers for $140 at Lowes

Was getting ready to mount a cleaning table to a very, very old and well beaten Igloo 162qt cooler and went to lowes to get some stainless screws. While there went by their coolers and noticed they had their 162's on sale for $140. Didn't make any sense becuase their 128qt coolers were $200, but they had them listed for the same price in the three different locations/displays. Needless to say one found its way home with me.

Great deal, so thought I would let folks know if their looking for a new cooler for less than half of list Lowes is your place.

As a side note, if your going to mount a fish table/cutting board to the lid, do not use the lid as a base while your cutting witha circular saw--real easy to put a 5" cut into your brand spankin new cooler lid. Epoxy fixes right up, but its already starting to look like its beat-to-hell brother. At least it looked new for a half hour.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    As a side note, if your going to mount a fish table/cutting board to the lid, do not use the lid as a base while your cutting witha circular saw--real easy to put a 5" cut into your brand spankin new cooler lid. Epoxy fixes right up, but its already starting to look like its beat-to-hell brother. At least it looked new for a half hour.
    Made me laugh....I thought only I did stuff like that
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

Doesn't seem like it was that many years ago you could get them for $60 at costco, when they hit $100 I thought that was steep, can't believe $140 is a sale price.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Those Marine grade Igloo's are much better quality than the standard Igloo coolers that you see at Costco. I have had one for over 10 years and after hauling 1000's of pounds of fish it's still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
    Those Marine grade Igloo's are much better quality than the standard Igloo coolers that you see at Costco. I have had one for over 10 years and after hauling 1000's of pounds of fish it's still going strong.
    You're right- There a big difference between standard and marine. Check the hardware and the thickness of the plastic. That's a great buy. Only trouble is, I just bought a couple of COLEMAN 200 QUART MARINE COOLERS at $400 a pop. Ouch. But they're not your daddy's Colemans and built like tanks, including stainless hardware and spare part sources. I was after something tougher than usual, but I'd happily have picked up a couple of the Igloos instead. Timing!

That deal is NOT on at our local Lowe's... I know this as my girlfriend is standing there right this minute saying that they are priced at $270 for the 162 Igloo Marine cooler. Too good to be true too long...

Didn't read the fine print about being the marine grade coolers. I agree the hardware is crap on the cheapy igloos, the hinges on my older cooler went t/u this weekend. I was going to order some new ones from igloo, but the mention of ss hinges made me think I might as well just upgrade the hinges while I'm at it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Dig out an old piece of leather and cut a 3 inch wide strip by 4 inches long and screw it where the old hinges went. Epoxy the screws in with some 5 minute plastic epoxy. Good as new. No wait - better than new. Puts a little bit of "alaskan" in them too......you know - alaska rigged!

I found a 10 pack of ss hinges on e-bay, $15 shipped.

Pimp my coolers

Igloos replacement part prices are crazy, though I do need some new latches as well.

I tried a different approach to my hinges breaking.... I took the cargo strap (wide yellow ones) we use to clamp down our boats on our
    trailers and cut 2 pieces of it to make 2 hinges and used self tapping screws to attach them to the lid and the main cooler. Now they open fine and wont break like that cheap plastic crap they put on there.

Thats the only thing with my pretty white, new (except saw gash) cooler--its lacking all of the heavy duty hinge and strapping upgrades I had done to its older brother. I even layered epoxy on the two ends where the plastic had worn through being drug across gravel and parking lots. It had extra hinges of both steel and plastic. It had extra stainless screws in the side handles, and had heavy duty straps to keep the lid at the perfect angle for easy closing after inserting a dying but still mildly upset hali. Figure I will need to add those extras as the factory ones fail. At least the main portion of the cooler is intact. The old one--which is very old--had places where the outer shell had cracked/worn away and chunks of the insulations was beginning to slough off.

Would love to see a thread on Pimp you Coolers or the like to see what kind of redneck engineering go into other folks cooler/fish box rigs. Thought about that this winter as a worthy topic, but figured too many folks would have them in storage.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I purchased the 150 quart Rubber Maid Marine coolers at Home Depo in Fairbanks in March for $94. They do not have the cheap handles that the Igloo have. I used both the Igloo's and the Rubber Maid for commerical shrimping and they both kept the ice frozen about the same amount of time.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

If only I was in anchorage! that is a killer deal. It dont take me long to make new stuff look alaskanized either, that saw mishap made me laugh...almost like getting a hook stuck in a new set of Grundens!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You're right- There a big difference between standard and marine. Check the hardware and the thickness of the plastic. That's a great buy. Only trouble is, I just bought a couple of COLEMAN 200 QUART MARINE COOLERS at $400 a pop. Ouch. But they're not your daddy's Colemans and built like tanks, including stainless hardware and spare part sources. I was after something tougher than usual, but I'd happily have picked up a couple of the Igloos instead. Timing!

You will be real disappointed to find out then that they have the Marine 250 qt coolers at Lowe's in the Valley for $399......could almost put a body in that thing. Way better built then a standard cooler. The cheapest I found them listed on the net was $475, Graingers has them for over $700.

Will, Witch Lowes? muldoon price is $270.00 (N da low rent district)

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    You will be real disappointed to find out then that they have the Marine 250 qt coolers at Lowe's in the Valley for $399......could almost put a body in that thing. Way better built then a standard cooler. The cheapest I found them listed on the net was $475, Graingers has them for over $700.
    $602.00 for the 250 qt, here in Fairbanks.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

Quote Originally Posted by squab View Post
    $602.00 for the 250 qt, here in Fairbanks.
    That is what they were originally here. If you want one for $200 off let me know I will be up there 1st week in August for State Cup Soccer Tournament.

It was the one in Kenai. I was in there yesterday getting other goodies and they still have them for $140. I did have to check out that 250qt "great white" igloo--seems very well built and at $399 was cheaper than my 120qt yeti. Problem is its simply too big (wide) to fit my swim step.

Just got back from Lowe's on Muldoon in Anchorage. they are out of the 162 QT and they are prices at $270. They did have the big daddy, 250Qy for $399. Almost bought it, but it won't fit my swim step with the kicker propped up
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Something to consider with a big cooler. We bought one of the biggies from Costco for our PWS trip couple of weeks ago. Cooler worked great as there was hardly any water in it at all after three days indicating the ice had melted.
    I didnt realize it at the time, but these coolers have a lift up center opening. This allowed us to strap the cooler to the swim step but we could just flip up the center "door" to find what we needed. It was nice to leave it on the swim step for the trip yet have easy access to the food inside. Saved a ton of deck space.
    Tennessee