Thread: Kodiak or Dutch Harbor?

Default Kodiak or Dutch Harbor?

All things considered and if cost was not a factor, which port would you go to for a three day trip with chances of landing big halibut? I am looking at booking 3 days of fishing for the wife and I for good times and to fill the freezer. I have fished out of Kodiak before and it was awesome.... Lots of bottom fish.

Thanks,

Dan
    Last edited by francko; 06-01-2011 at 23:43. Reason: poor english

I would do Dutch. LOTS less pressure and I think the larger halibut would be more plentiful as a result of it.

I would go Kodiak, and fish out of Port Lions, Whale Pass. Good shot at a big one and somewhat protected. 3 days could be three days of watching white water hit the rocks in Dutch. With guaranteed weather, Dutch would be the spot.

jtm9,

Great point. I will definaltey consider that as the wife does not do well in waves.....

Thanks,

Dan

In Summer, Dutch weather is pretty mellow, and the fish out there are in a class of their own for size,

I'd say, for the lack of competition on the stocks, Hands Down, Go Dutch Harbor

For your wife's tummy, I think both will be the same for potential exposure to offshore swells,
    Keep her totally full with something like cereal or pancakes, that morning.
    and bring Ginger Cookies along, have her stick with them, they really work.

Absolutely Do Not, let her go out there nervously, drinking just coffee,......
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

You might want your wife to try Bonine. My wife has never really enjoyed trips on our boat, turns out she finally fessed up that she gets seasick very easily. She tried Bonine on our last trip, and it was a Godsend. It doesn't make her drousy at all, and she had no problems with feeling bad on the boat.

As far as ports, I'd likely lean towards Kodiak as you have some other fishing options if weathered in, and some more things to do in town or around the Island if you can't get out fishing.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

[QUOTE=Paul H;956341]
    As far as ports, I'd likely lean towards Kodiak as you have some other fishing options if weathered in, and some more things to do in town or around the Island if you can't get out fishing. [/QUOTE]

Well, that's a pretty good point, Paul makes about options, for both fishing and other things to do if it is just howling out there.

I was a bit nervous on the Dutch idea considering your short time span. Three days could just go either way at any time of year in both places,
    but Kodiak definitely has options for river fishing, small lakes for Trout on flies, even a nice paved drive for scenery, (out to the Rocket Launch site to view Buffalo, etc.) if the offshore swells make everyone miserable.

Good Point worth considering
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I lived in Dutch Harbor for 12 years and left in December 2010. There is only a single charter operator there and the fishing is not anywhere close to what it was in the mid-1990s. There is a surprising amount of commercial fishing pressure close to town and that has reduced the opportunity to take a large halibut with sport gear.

The best kept secret for halibut fishing in this great state............................................. ......Cross Sound & Icy Strait

Oh dang, cats out of the bag.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

He wants a charter and to keep big halibut not one under 37"! Yes there are some monsters around there, I have been to Hoonah! The best was mist cove late when the silvers are thick and man that is fun for big big halibut!!!!!

ive never fished kodiak, but have homer a couple times and dutch several times. there is no comparing homer to dutch for competition, size, and cooporative fish as far as i see it. Dutch was wonderful everytime i went out and only once got turned back due to weather. I always went with John L who owned far west outfitters, but he has since moved on. He had another guy there named Henery, not sure if he is still running or not, but i fished with henery a few times and had great luck too.