Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Spinning or Baitcaster? Mono or Braided?

  1. #1
    Member Sapper 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    323

    Default Spinning or Baitcaster? Mono or Braided?

    Just curious as to what you guys prefer for freshwater kings...I've been thinking about making the switch to a baitcaster but have always kinda been leary of them. Thoughts on a good model? I've also used braided in the past for kings but last year was scolded by Jedi Master Salmon Slayer for getting caught up with his line Sorry Master LOL...I thought he was gonna drop me off on the banks of the Salcha so I could think about what I had done I haven't seen too many spinning reels that hold much 25lb test or more either. SO...I'd like to weigh opinions you have surely have to offer. Let's hear it...

    Sapper in the Skies

  2. #2
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    Just curious as to what you guys prefer for freshwater kings...I've been thinking about making the switch to a baitcaster but have always kinda been leary of them. Thoughts on a good model? I've also used braided in the past for kings but last year was scolded by Jedi Master Salmon Slayer for getting caught up with his line Sorry Master LOL...I thought he was gonna drop me off on the banks of the Salcha so I could think about what I had done I haven't seen too many spinning reels that hold much 25lb test or more either. SO...I'd like to weigh opinions you have surely have to offer. Let's hear it...

    Sapper in the Skies
    Mono all the way...you deserved the scolding! LMAO!

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  3. #3
    Member Sierra Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Mono. unless you are on the Kenai you shouldn't need anything more..

    I lost 4 fish on ship last year fishing for 2 days with 40lb braided. silt kept getting into the line and weakening it.

  4. #4
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    You already know what I favor...use your feelings and trust what they tell you.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  5. #5
    Member Albradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks,Alaska
    Posts
    482

    Default

    I prefer power pro 50 lbs braided.Never once lost a salmon or anything else for that matter.Plus i wouldnt be around people to begin with so no getting tangled up with them lol.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

    and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

  6. #6
    Member 900fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Menominee, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    1,021

    Default

    I use 20lb mono (Maxima) and a 25lb leader on a Abu garcia ambassadeur 6500C3 baitcater and a 9ft medium heavy ugly stick has worked pretty well for me so far havent had one break me off yet fingers crossed. the biggest so far is a 36lb king i caught out of ship creek last year. hope this helps

    -Fish on
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

  7. #7

    Default

    Look into a shimano bait caster , I like the calcuttas , or the corsair I like the 400s for kings , just take your time and how to cast them , youl get past the backlash thing in no time , 9 foot beef stick , 20# maxima and your in there , Braid is great in the salt (deep jigging , deep trolling ect, ect ) but in the fresh water mono is the way to go !! just my 2 cents

  8. #8
    Member Sapper 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    thanks fellas for the input...funny 900fusion I read yours after I got back from buying an Ambassador C3 6501 and a Lamiglass Kenai King rod. Spooled the reel with 25 lb. P-Line CXX. The choice is made!

  9. #9
    Member Sapper 27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Pole, AK
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Been practicing with the bait caster in the yard & so far so good. The lure isn't going quite as far as I'd like it to however. Too much thumb on the spool on the outbound? Brake too tight? Not sure but I have a week to practice. Tips?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    I owned a bait caster for about a year, then finally got fed up with it I had to many issues with it, the issue probably being me more than the bait-caster. I practice and practice with it, but could not just master it. After one too many bird nests, I was done. Dont remember the model, wasn't a expensive one, was pretty cheap from what I can remember.....maybe that was the problem??? Do want to try it again, but want to use a decent one and give it a try before I throw some green at it.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

  11. #11
    Member JediMasterSalmonSlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,837

    Default

    Most baitcasters made now have anti-backlash built in the mechanics of the reel. I equate a baitcaster reel like the wench on my 4wheeler. Have you ever seen a wench that looks like a spinning reel? The drag system is the most important component for me. I have also found that the adjustment made to how quick the spool spins is the most important in having control and avoiding backlash. The technique I use to help avoid backlash is the following:

    I take my rod and hold it with tip to the sky (reel seated and line on reel) line threaded through all the guides and whatever lure or weight tied to the end of the line. Like a crane ready to drop the bucket.

    I thumb the spool with pressure as not to let the line out and release the casting button. The weighted end (lure or rig you have tied to the end of the line) should lower towards the ground a very slow rate of speed. to fast (tighten the adjustment dial to slow the rate of speed) to slow or wont lower with gravity (loosen the adjustment). I adjust the dial with every lure or weight change.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com


  12. #12

    Default

    Man, if you're learning how to use a casting reel, I'd sure go with mono for the time being. Backlashes are bad enough to undo with mono, but lots worse with braid, especially the finer braids you're likely to be using on a king reel. I have no problems undoing them with 80# braid on my saltwater casting reels, but last weekend a guest on my boat let it happen with 50# braid on one of my king trolling reels. It completely put the reel out of action till we got home and I could work on it for about 45 minutes. I seriously considered switching all my king reels to 80# in the future simply to ease untangling. Then I wised up and decided to give mono to all guests till they were well schooled in reel operation!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Do the anti-backlash systems work well Jedi? It was about 6 years ago when I had mine. My biggest problem was during the cast itself. To much pressure on the spool with the thumb and the line would not fly out as much, to little pressure the line would make a nasty mess at the spool.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

  14. #14

    Default

    Shoedawg, yes the Anti-Backlash can work very well for you. Jedi's method of adjusting will work perfect once you get the hang of using it. Until you do though, you might want to adjust it as follows:

    Tip towards the sky, thumb on line, press release. Your lure should not drop, give the tip a light shake. Adjust the anti-backlash until the lure will drop about 18" and stop. Practice casting with it set this way for a while. You will not cast as far, but it will give you time to learn the reel operation and get used to it. As you get better with the reel, you adjust it until it is set like Jedi stated.
    Once you reach this level, you should be able to cast a LONG ways and be accurate too as you have had a lot of practice.

    AK Chappy

  15. #15
    Member aktyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North pole
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    thanks fellas for the input...funny 900fusion I read yours after I got back from buying an Ambassador C3 6501 and a Lamiglass Kenai King rod. Spooled the reel with 25 lb. P-Line CXX. The choice is made!
    there is no better line than pline

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Eagle River AK
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Thanks for the info guys. Now I just gotta remember what kinda rod I have in my hand, I am sure doing a roll cast while forgetting that I have a bait-caster in hands will make for a lively day I often hear from fisherman that do use bait-casters that they favor them over spinners.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

  17. #17
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Most baitcasters made now have anti-backlash built in the mechanics of the reel. I equate a baitcaster reel like the wench on my 4wheeler. Have you ever seen a wench that looks like a spinning reel? The drag system is the most important component for me. I have also found that the adjustment made to how quick the spool spins is the most important in having control and avoiding backlash. The technique I use to help avoid backlash is the following:

    I take my rod and hold it with tip to the sky (reel seated and line on reel) line threaded through all the guides and whatever lure or weight tied to the end of the line. Like a crane ready to drop the bucket.

    I thumb the spool with pressure as not to let the line out and release the casting button. The weighted end (lure or rig you have tied to the end of the line) should lower towards the ground a very slow rate of speed. to fast (tighten the adjustment dial to slow the rate of speed) to slow or wont lower with gravity (loosen the adjustment). I adjust the dial with every lure or weight change.
    "you must spread some reputation around before..."

    Seriously this is the best advice I learned when I first casted a baitcaster, I will never go back to coffee grinders.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •