Thread: Had some seed issue this year- Got some good info from Denli Seeds Co.

Default Had some seed issue this year- Got some good info from Denli Seeds Co.

I had a few seeds not germinate well. Lettuce & pansy. So I wrote to Denali Seed Co. letting them know what happened.
    Good info:::
    If seeds are stored near weed & feed & other herbicides with weed killers, the vapors can cause the seeds to be sterile or cause deformities.
    If you notice the herbicide odor near the seed rack, steer clear of the seeds. I believe I got my seeds from Lo's & it was in the same isle as the herbicides, early in the year before the Green house side was open. Lettuce & pansies was my sterile seeds.

Denali Seed Co quote: ::"Please let us know what failed and we will refund your money for the seed. The next question is were did you buy your seed? What you describe sounds like chemical poisoning from such products as bags of Weed N Feed fertilizer. If you can smell the chemical in the store isle it will kill seed and lettuce is especially sensitive. A closed bag of Weed N Feed will kill seed and cause the deformities in other varieties you are describing. I believe your problem is an environmental issue. Did you buy all the brands of seed in the same store? We pride ourselves with our quality."

Mudbuddy
    I had a pkg of Early Girl Tomato seeds that would not sprout... I too bought them at Lowes, when they had their seeds and weed killers all in the same area... fortunately I had purchased most all my other seeds elsewhere... Thanks for the post, that will sure make a difference where I buy my seeds next year...

I'm thinking mail order may be the way to go.
    Online & make on order & have a better selection.
    Maybe we should hook up & split some seeds. I rarely ever use a whole seed pack of seeds on several things.
    I did find Sweet Success, all female self pollenating cuc I may try next year. I need 10 - 12 seeds max. Burpee & others have them.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    I'm thinking mail order may be the way to go.
    Online & make on order & have a better selection.
    Maybe we should hook up & split some seeds. I rarely ever use a whole seed pack of seeds on several things.
    I did find Sweet Success, all female self pollenating cuc I may try next year. I need 10 - 12 seeds max. Burpee & others have them.
    MudBuddy
    sure I'd be willing to get together with you come next spring when it's time to think about seeds...

Denali Seed is a great outfit. I've used their seeds exclusively for about 10 years now w/no problems at all, so I'm sure your issues were caused by something beyond their control.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison