Thread: Ballistic/reloading Software

Default Ballistic/reloading Software

Well after weeks of putting it off, I finally decided what program I'd buy. Taking some advice from DPhillips I ordered a copy of Quickload/QuickTarget. I tried all the Demo's and fought the compatability issues with Windows Vista and even read reviews till my eyes wouldnt stay open.

Anyone use this program or maybe we can all compare whatever everyone uses for Ballistics and Load Data.

I use the books as guidelines and my gun/chrony as the gospel. I will keep an eye for pressure signs and once my velocities and accuracy are satisfactory I use a simple balistic program like

http://www.biggameinfo.com/index.asp...2fbalcalc.ascx or

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/index.htm to get me a good idea of what is going on. the next stop is our local range, which has targets to 1100 yds and up and down hill......pretty cool range, any how that is the final answer for me.

if you are just looking to cook up some loads, well between the pile of manuals available you can get a good feel for what is safe and what is not, but remember each gun is unique so start safe.

Well I must say Highcountry, that theres a very nice website and pretty much covers everything. Its a great place to play too with all the calculators you could ever use

I like to play around with QL it does offer some references that are not noted in many reloading manuals. For example when I began loading my Garand QL offers the muzzle pressure that I desire to aid in selecting a hunting bullet and powders. Thus far for example I have found H4895, Viht N140 and N150 to be ideal--good velocities with optimum muzzle pressure to run the op-rod safely without using the McCann product I have set aside to help redirect the "extra" pressures created by either powder selection and bullet.

a good software program for sure-still start the recommended powder charges 10% than max. and do use a chrony to verfiy what QL states. It will be interesting-somtimes it is right on or close and others abit optimistic.

Quickload and QuickDesign are fantastic programs. One quirk in QuickLoad is when utilizing for straightwalled cases. There is a 7% adjustment to the case water capacity suggested to accomodate that.

Otherwise I really like it to figure up loads and predict internal ballistics, especially for some of my obtuse cartridges that load data is nearly impossible to come by these days, or obsolete cartridges that load data for new components isn't available. Money well spent in my opinion.