Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 fishing pics

Default 2011 fishing pics

Time for a new thread for the new season.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Nice work dudemandude!! I'll bet that's a real kick when you hook into a big halibut!!

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default Donna and the "War Horse" bag a big one!

I'm sure they'll remember this one!

My girlfriend's father and mother decided to visit from BC for a Father's Day Weekend of fishing, fun, and scrutinizing of their daughter's boyfriend (me). So, I took them out for a little bit of fishing and sightseeing in the greater Seward area.

I had warned everybody aboard that this was supposed to be the worst tides of the summer and that they should extend their stay or wait until the next weekend. All of this advice was to no avail...I had two fishing days to show the future in-laws that I could run a boat, catch some fish, and treat their daughter well. Friday proved a decent day for rockfish but the M-I-L got so sick from the sea swells that she preferred to stay in town and do some shopping and rest...

My girlfriend, her father and I set out on Saturday to go for halibut. Roland was the first to get a good fish, a halibut of 64.3lbs if the length-to-weight scale is correct. He was excited as none of his friends back at the coffee shop in Revelstoke would believe the size of his catch! He pulled up a couple of rockfish and ling cod but we threw the lings back.

At about 3pm my girlfriend wanted to trade rods so that she could use the lighter jigging setup after five hours of bouncing a 1lb weight on the bottom. I swapped rods and within ten minutes she said that she was sure that she'd dragged my favorite Kodiak Custom jig on a rock outcropping and had it stuck. I told her to give that rock a big hit and pull it right up to the surface since there were no rocks on the fishfinder at all! That is when she let out a little girl-scream and said that the bottom was trying to pull her right over the railing and out of the boat. I could see the head-shakes in the tip of the rod and came over to feel the weight of the fish. It felt like somebody had put an eyebolt in the center of my front door and that Donna was trying to pull that door off the bottom of the ocean! HO-LY $HI-ITE!!!

I helped for about ten minutes and then dad helped Donna hold the rod for the next thirty five minutes or so. I had to steer the boat and keep us off of the nearby rocks and supervise in general. We cleared the deck and readied for the first sighting of the fish. I was up in the steering station when I heard the first exclamation of "HOLY SMOKES! That's a big one, eh?! You're gonna cut the line and let this one GO, right?" By the time that I got back to the fishing deck it was gone again and I could see Roland shaking his head, looking worried, and wondering what the hell he'd gotten himself into. I just chuckled and enjoyed myself...I had the distinct pleasure of watching him and his daughter working together to help reel in a monster halibut that was bigger than either of them could imagine...and on Father's Day Weekend to boot! What a day and what a memory in progress!

When the halibut came up a second time I had a small 380 Auto pistol ready and put a shot into the head. All that this seemed to do was stir up a good trail of blood and piss off our halibut. She dove hard out of sight and we had to make another go around to keep us off of the rocks. The line was coming up easier this time, though, and the two Canadians were acting more confident about their ability to bring the monster back up for another shot.

The third time that Donna's halibut was brought to the surface it was visibly more worn out. There was a good blood trail and when she guided the 'but towards me I could see that it was hooked only by the stinger hook and only through the tough skin on the outer part of the lip--not through the jaw itself. Donna eased the halibut up to the surface and a well-placed shot in the head stunned the crap out of it for about twenty seconds. It was then that I popped out the clip of the pistol, cycled out the live round, and shoved the pistol into my pocket. I stuck a short handled gaff into the head of the halibut and found out that there was still a bit of fight left in the fish. It was like holding on to the hand rope of a wild rodeo bull! I pulled up as hard as possible to keep the fish from flipping off the gaff and rode out the thrashing over the next thirty seconds--my arm and shoulder are still sore the day after! Once she calmed down a bit I waited to time the waves and used the roll of the boat to get some momentum to launch the halibut over the rail and onto the deck. We quickly tied a tail-rope to the rear cleat and I put a line from the head to the other rear cleat, stretching her out and keeping her from thrashing. Apparently that little Ruger 380 Auto tuned up our halibut as she never did give us any thrashing about. I cut the gills and suggested that we might consider ourselves as done for the day. Donna and her dad just sat on the cooler, smiling and worn out from the fight. As I write this up tonight none of us can still believe that it all happened in the manner that it did.

We tied Roland's fish up in a similar manner and drove home to the docks. The three of us spent the better part of the evening filleting, bagging, icing-down the bags, drinking beers and texting all of our friends to share the good news... And, yes, a 148lb halibut tastes GREAT! No grainy-ness to the meat. Big, thick flakes, and fabulous texture. Congratulations to Donna the Fish Goddess! May we have many more adventures to come!

PS: I'm sure that this will keep me in good standing with the Canadian side of the family...

IMG_0989.jpgIMG_1034.jpg

I need to try and take more pictures this summer. Here is one of those PWS Kings:

This smaller one was a white king. Anyone know what the percentage of of kings that are white meat?

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

It varies by area.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    I'm sure they'll remember this one!

My girlfriend's father and mother decided to visit from BC for a Father's Day Weekend of fishing, fun, and scrutinizing of their daughter's boyfriend (me). So, I took them out for a little bit of fishing and sightseeing in the greater Seward area.
    I trust after all that, they found you most suitable for their daughter!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Yes! I'm sure this clinched the top spot.

Default 6 year old's first halibut

We were at our evening anchorage and I was cleaning a small yellow eye rock fish when my son said " Dad, I have something big on here! " I looked over and his little ugly stick rod was bent over to the grip and line was peeling off the little spinning reel. He fought it for about a minute and then could not hold on any longer. He passed the rod over to me and I started to work the big slab up to the surface. The tide had turned and the boat had swung over a drop and we were in about 90 foot of water. The fish must have seen the bottom of the boat, because she sounded and then ran along the bottom. I watched the line peel off the spool and hoped that there was enough. I started palming the spool to slow the fish down and she turned. I slowly worked her up to the surface and we had color! The tell tale white belly of a big flat *******! She planed up to the surface, took a look at us and with a couple pulses of the tail she took us for another ride. I slowly worked her back up, popped her with a load of number 6s from the .410, and hooked her with the gaff. We pulled her aboard. You just never know what you will pull up from the depths when jigging a little, silver buzz bomb!

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

DSC0123-M.jpg
    king caught on the south end of juneau

4 from 2011...1 AK, 3 RoadTrip pics.

Our latest halibut trip out of Seward. Went out with Alaska Northern Outfitters and had a great day. Wife and I both got nice fish, hers was in the 80's and I had one that went 94 and another around 50. The boat had a good number of decent sized halibut, as the picture shows. My little 6-year old son was set up on the bow mooching with low-expectations of catching anything, and he ended up boating 3 pinks and 1 silver and lost a few others. He had a great time, which was awesome because it was his first trip on a boat. Didn't get sick, either, which I am very pleased with.

All in all it was a great day. Came home with lots of meat and memories.

IMG_0011.jpg

Here is one with ODD's Fishface (Brad) getting some more Kings. We had to work for them, but it was a fun PWS trip.

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Wifes Yelloweye caught out of Seward 24 June. 32 inches long, 25 pounds.

Copy of Copy of BARB YELLOWEYE.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default couple kings

few of this years kings.
    Alpine is awesome...

One from last night.

couple from the derby.

8) love the yelloweye.
    Alpine is awesome...

Default Valdez Halibut trip

Attachment 50493

Big Halibut out of PWS....

This weekends kings.
    Alpine is awesome...

You're killing me man!

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Fr8 Dog Fishoff.jpg

I'm a pilot for UPS and my buddy is a pilot for FedEx. We had the annual Fr8 dog fishoff yesterday and it ended in a tie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast