Thread: Are you catching many shrimp?

Default Are you catching many shrimp?

So how has every one been doing catching shrimp? Most of the folks I've talked to so far have all said the catch rate is WAY down. Just wondering how every body else is doing??

Yup - No shrimp left in PWS - you guys might as well sell yer pots, none left, zip nadda, kapoot.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by whatablast View Post
    So how has every one been doing catching shrimp? Most of the folks I've talked to so far have all said the catch rate is WAY down. Just wondering how every body else is doing??
    My catch rate is down a little. Sporadic is probably a better description.

Not yet, but it seems just as I was dialing in the area it was time to head home.

The upside is that's a compelling reason to get the boat out more often
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Way down in our usual spots, we didn't do very well.
    Also caught alot more stripes than the nice big ol spots.
    There was a commercial shrimper working the Deep water, Derrickson areas. Thus the area might have been hit hard before we got there....Still was a great weekend on the water. hunting sucked, too many people. Did manage a few nice halibut and yelloweye though.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Yup - No shrimp left in PWS - you guys might as well sell yer pots, none left, zip nadda, kapoot.
    I'll buy a couple of those pots, as Cutter lost two of mine when he was out in PWS catching no shrimp on my boat
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Still happy with my last two sets. Both in the same place. 3 gallons tails in three pots last set. My spot from last year.

Correction on the lost pots.....

The warrior lost one, and the boat driver lost the other, I was just the innoncent bystander as usual. Guilty by association.

I spent 5 days out hunting/shrimping last week. First 3 days were spent around Chenega island, took 3 days to get enough shrimp for a meal for four. Moved to one of my go to spots and got 15 gallons in 2 days. I did notice the stripes seemed to be hanging out about 50 feet shallower than the spots. I was only fishing in 400-500 feet this time instead of my usual 500-700 range. Longest I soaked the pots was about 8 hours overnight. During the day I pulled pots every 3-4 hours.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Default 50# of tail in 5 pulls

We had poor luck on the oppener but dropped in an area we have never shrimped early. Couple of weekends ago we targeted shrimp in our favorite spot and came home with about 50lbs of tail, the shrimp are there. If we pulled more often than twice a day we probable could have doubled that amount, but there is places to explore and things to do other than pulling shrimp pots.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I have noticed that the water temperature is way up this year if that has any affect. It was 41 at the start of the season and the other day 54 degrees in Port Valdez. I had mine pulled because of the Memorial Day invasion of Fairbanks boaters. Will be checking them tonight.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We're catching 1/3 of our historic catch in the places we have fished previous years. Commercial shrimp boat working our area now too.

We got better numbers between 600-750 feet. I think warm water drives them down.
    5 pots got about 2 gal of shimp tails or 7 to 8 gal whole shrimp per pull.