Thread: Taking the wife out for her 1st Black bear hunt this weekend.. not sure what to think

Default Taking the wife out for her 1st Black bear hunt this weekend.. not sure what to think

So, after getting my 1st blackie last weekend we lined up a sitter for the kidlet and the dogs/birds and are going to be heading out to my site to try and get the wife her 1st blackie. She has NEVER hunted and I am a bit nervous as to what she will do if we do have a bear come in. I will prob put her in the tree stand and I will sit in the ground blind for that "just in case" situation. So far it seems that unit 16 has picked up a bit and I have some new ultra stank bear grub that will be going into the barrel on friday afternoon as well as about 30lbs of popcorn + dog food/sweet feed. only big issue for us is we are doing everything on foot and that includes dragging the bear out of the field/swamp to the car. I hope she is ready to get broken off on the walk in as it is not a easy walk. But I think it will be a great experience for her even if we dont leave with a critter. If all else fails I may rent a boat and hit up PWS for some hunting.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Well I for one would have her sit in the ground blind... Don't think u want to put a rook up in a tree stand also what u going to do when she needs help when it comes time to shoot ie where do I aim at again. Now as far as the walk certain CSM took his wife blueberry picking easy trail he thought well 1/4 or so miles in she was squaking take me back, don't pack her down like Joe especially if she has never rucked... All I can say move at her pace don't break her on the first mile...

haha good call 323, She has fired the rifle a few times but never at something that could potentially rip her face with a few bites.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

IMO you need to sit with her, whether it be in the tree or on the ground. That way you can see what she sees and you can communicate together without spooking a bear. She'll feel more comfortable with you their and it should make the whole experience better.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    IMO you need to sit with her, whether it be in the tree or on the ground. That way you can see what she sees and you can communicate together without spooking a bear. She'll feel more comfortable with you their and it should make the whole experience better.
    Exactly that was what I was trying to say, sit with her especially when one comes in you cna keep her somewhat calm... The biggest thing is is if she misses or whatever could go wrong and the bear moves on don't get upset with her if you do you could turn her completly off from hunting...

I always hang two stands. Like everyone else has said wives like to sit next to her hubby.

Yah we are doing a nice.ground blind for 2 hopefully over a candle lit backstrap