Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a shooter?

Talking Is it a shooter?

I have some good shots of a few bears hitting my station. I'll show a series of pictures, with pauses between, to get some feedback. Hopefully this will be a fun exercise in judging (bears, not other hunters' opinions ) Here's the first one: Shooter or not?
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL anything is with the way my season is going

bein as that i love me some bear meat... any bear that has left its momma is a shooter

k, goin from what dad has taught me, you can see daylight under it, not a "saggy" belly, ears seem kinda pointy, not a lotta mass.

I would prolly shoot it, not big by any means. if I had others hitting, I would hold out, if it was close to the end of baiting season, and it was th only one hittin, shoot it
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Meat bear.

its a shooter.... except... it looks like little cub legs behind her?

I am guessing about 5' but I also see some small legs on her far front shoulder. But if not for the one cub I see I would shoot her. No one picture shows the whole story. My guess is there is a second little one real close by.

kinda looks like the hump behind her next to the tree is a little head

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I have some good shots of a few bears hitting my station. I'll show a series of pictures, with pauses between, to get some feedback. Hopefully this will be a fun exercise in judging (bears, not other hunters' opinions ) Here's the first one: Shooter or not?
    No! thats a sow with a cub behind her.

Great feedback- keep em coming!

Here's photo #2: what about this bear?

Young bear. If after a nice rug probably not. Looks like a small rub spot or somethig on the front left shoulder. And one picture doesn't tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Here's photo #2: what about this bear?

Let them grow, unless you want a meat bear.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I'm a horrible judge of bears, but pic.2 seems a little small to me. I would pass, and encourage him to come back for seconds and thirds....

just over 4' bear- how hungry are you? lol

I like the guesses so far! On number one, its definitely tough because there's no size reference in the photo. There's also some shadows and possible cub parts in there... keep the size guesses coming! I'll try to post the next photo in that sequence tomorrow. On picture two, there is a very good size reference. The bear is even with the barrel, which is a 55 gallon drum on its side. It has a diameter of 24".

Good eye for those who noticed the cub. I thought it was a sow and we try not to shoot sow's on our stands. So I called it a meat bear earlier but would not shoot for obvious reasons. Good eyes though!

WAYYYY to much space between the belly and ground, looks like real big ears too. long legs, small neck.

nice coat though. I would have to see it in person. Prolly a no shooter. is that another bear I see by its hind end??
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Love the responses. Here's the picture on the camera immediately following Picture 1- about 3 seconds later. Good calls for those who thought bear 1 was a sow and could have cubs!

The shadow over the back of the bear in Picture 1 is not a cub's head, but a tree in the background. There may be a cub's leg in the picture, as she does have two, and now they're in the pic and she isn't.

Here is another picture of one of the cubs; they are last year's cubs, so would be legal to shoot any of the three bears here. Legally, fine, and depends solely on the personal views of the hunter in the stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast