Thread: What size kicker ?

Default What size kicker ?

What size kicker do I need on a 24 ft bayliner ? Would like to be able to use it on my zodiac also.
    Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

It depends on how fast you want to go, and how much control you want to have in wind and waves as a backup. My boat is about 12,000 lbs and 31ft, and I have a Yamaha 9.9hp high thrust kicker. It is very comfortable trolling with it, and flat out it will do about 4.5kts in calm conditions. Supposedly the high thrust models are designed for this purpose. The downside is for dual use, this will be a heavy motor to get on and off a raft. I think it weighs around 100 lbs. For my kicker motor I use a 2hp Honda, which weighs 26 lbs including it's integrated gas tank.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I think jrogers is right on. I have a 24-ft Bayliner and use a 18 HP Tohatsu/Nissan 2-stroke as a kicker. If I'd had the $ I would have bought a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust instead. The Tohatsu works fine as a kicker, but since any kicker will only get you up to a certain speed (hull speed), there comes a point where you're wasting your money getting a kicker that has lots of horsepower (and weighs a lot).
    I think your limitation in a motor that will serve as both a kicker and a dinghy motor will be what your dinghy is rated for. I'm guessing that any motor that serves dual purpose will either be too little hp for a boat kicker and too heavy (or too much hp) for a dinghy.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I think your limitation in a motor that will serve as both a kicker and a dinghy motor will be what your dinghy is rated for. I'm guessing that any motor that serves dual purpose will either be too little hp for a boat kicker and too heavy (or too much hp) for a dinghy.
    I'll add that it will take more horsepower to manouever your Bayliner on windy days or in currents. For dual use I'd hit the top end of your Zodiac rating, but you still might have control issues on the Bayliner.

One other thing to consider is that most inflatables take a short shaft, while you will most likely need/want a long shaft for your kicker. You can modify the transom to take a long shaft, but it will be a heavy, awkward bugger to transfer on and off while on the water.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Depending on the size of your inflatble, one of the older 15hp two stokes might be the best option, e-rude, suzuki, yamaha. The weigh under 70#'s, so are feasable to put on an inflatable, and mounted on a lift or bracket work fine on the main boat. It comes down on where you want to compromise, the best kickers for the main boat are the high torque 4 strokes, but they aren't the best for an inflatable. Best for an inflatable is IMHO a lightweight 2 stroke, but they aren't the best for trolling.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

The shaft legnth is going to be the biggest hold-up. On my Seasport I have a yami 8hp. Seems most Seasports from 22' up to 27' I see have the same kicker if originally equipped. The larger 27' like a pilot house and the larger I have seen have a 9.9hp.

My 8hp pushes me along fine, but love the 9.9 engine. I have an older Yami 9.9 high thrust I use on my drift boat and toyed with switching the two, putting the 9.9 on my Seasport and using the 8hp on my Willie, but just never got around to it. The 8hp actually pushes my boat along very nicely so been happy enough not to worry about it.

That said, if my 8hp died and had to buy a new one, would certainly look to the 9.9 simply because of my out-in-out love for the motor.

As for a kicker motor, I picked up a new Yami 2.5hp from the dealer for less than $900 bucks out the door with an extra year on the warranty as part of the springtime special. I do not even like moving my 9.9 on and off my driftboat let alone trying to move it around on a boat deck.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Want to try some fun try taking off a kicker on 24' and putting it on you inflatable. One word of advise tie a rope on it because without a davit, well give it a try! Experment with your friends 15hp first.

Have to echo what others are saying and go with a HT 9.9 for your kicker motor, then pick up a smaller motor for your inflatable.
    The 9.9 HT will push our 24 Sea Sport 4.5 - 4.9 mph and burns about 1 gallon an hour. We use it alot when hunting as it is about the perfect speed for glassing and saves a bunch of gas.

Unless you have a davit, 50 pounds or so is about the most you want to try dropping onto a transom of a tender while bouncing around. Even then, I would have a safety rope attached to it tied to the boat to save it when you drop it.

Ended up with a 2.5 Suzuki for our Zodiac and it pushes two adults, bear hide, and bear meat just fine. It does not get on step but am guessing it cruises along at about 8 mph.
    Tennessee

Maybe use an electric trolling motor for the dinghy? Anyone ever do that? I'd assume it's good only for getting to shore and putt-putting around.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Maybe use an electric trolling motor for the dinghy? Anyone ever do that? I'd assume it's good only for getting to shore and putt-putting around.
    By the time you add a good battery you would be adding a lot more weight than a comparable 2.5 hp outboad. It would take a huge electric motor to equal the power of the 2.5.
    Easier to add some gas than it is to charge the battery while at sea.
    Tennessee

How about using one of those Briggs and Stratton boat motor for your inflatable. I think there rated for 5 hp and run around $750.00

Quote Originally Posted by RadFisher View Post
    How about using one of those Briggs and Stratton boat motor for your inflatable. I think there rated for 5 hp and run around $750.00
    My understanding is that the manufacturer specifically says to not use these in saltwater.