Thread: Alaskan Bowhunters Association

Default Alaskan Bowhunters Association

What does it cost? What are the benefits? Where do you meet? Heard some bad stuff and a little bit of good stuff about the association and the members. Tell me what you know...good and bad.

Fred Bear, Tom Jennings, M.R. James, Glenn St. Charles, G. Fred Asbell,, Judd Cooney, Charlie Kroll, Ted Nugent, “Maggie” McGee, Dr. Robert Speegle, Gary Bogner, Billy Ellis, “Grits” Gresham, and Judy Kovar, are quite a representation of famous outdoor personalities. These and many more dedicated outdoorsman have graced the Alaskan Bowhunters Association fundraisers as guest speakers over the last 23 years. With their support, we have raised monies through ticket sales, auctions and raffles that have allowed the ABA to lobby for bowhunting privileges in Alaska at the highest political level. We are the legislative voice for bowhunting and hunting rights in Alaska. As a direct reflection of our diligence, Alaska now has some of the most coveted archery only permit hunts in the world. We are responsible for the opening of the largest bowhunting only area in the United States. A combination of increased expenses for political actions and decreasing revenues has resulted in the ABA mounting a major fund raising drive.

The ABA is one of the largest sporting organizations in Alaska. Our mission statement is to perpetuate and foster fair chase hunting. We believe that we are good for the archery industry. The Alaska bowhunter education program with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game adopted the International Bowhunter Education Program (IBEP) and has since certified thousands of bowhunters. We have also helped several archery clubs with financial support for start up across Alaska. Although the ABA has always been a family oriented organization we refocused our direction and made a commitment to bring as many new shooters into the sport as possible. At our last four fund raisers the ABA has provided every child between the ages of 6 and 12 years old a new bow, custom arrows, quiver, tab and arm guard totaling over 75 packages. In addition, children that had previously been awarded bow packages receive new arrows every year and shooting opportunities through donated memberships from local shooting clubs. This has been a huge out of pocket cost to our organization each year but we strongly believe that we are seeding our sport’s future. The ABA also purchased a traveling archery range that we have taken across the state to all sporting events such as The Great Alaskan Sportsman Show, Safari Club International fund raiser, FNAWS fund raiser and many, many more. Through our efforts we have introduced hundreds to the sport of archery. We are the only sporting organization in Alaska providing opportunity and exposure to men women and children to shooting sports on such a large scale. We have donated tens-of-thousands of dollars to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game for such reasons as game/habitat surveys and even for the lighting of outdoor shooting ranges for bow/shotgun/pistol and rifle.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up

I just joined them. I think the more members that the association has the more power they have when promoting the sport. Like any organization there will be some people who have a problem with the organization. But my personal opinion is that they have done and continue to do quite a bit of good for the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    What does it cost? What are the benefits? Where do you meet? Heard some bad stuff and a little bit of good stuff about the association and the members. Tell me what you know...good and bad.
    Anyone:::???
    Does anyone know this information? I was able to speak with a couple that used to belong to the group, but they got fed up with the special interest group thing and dropped out. I would like to see for myself some of their meetings and discussions. What do they support or profess? Do they support gun hunting as well?

Default ABA

The ABA supports all hunting. They played a major role in keeping bear baiting open in this state. Many of us are members who just love hunting. The annual banquet is next weekend. It raises money for supporting the intrests of hunters. Along with the fund raisers for Archery in the Schools. March 17th is the night of the actual banquet but the day before is a bunch of free seminars. The president Tim Thomas works at Rabbit Creek Rifle Range. This is a great organization of HUNTERS! I would love to hear of these "special intrests." Many times I hear people dont want to join because they dont agree with everything the officers say. Well my opinion is that no organization is perfect. Look at the NRA. I dont agree with everything all the time, but I pay my dues. I look at the greater good. Everything I have ever heard from the ABA though would support most all hunters. Check out there web and PM me if you need a banquet ticket. They are having drawings for bows and even a nice rifle from wild west. The officers I met are all real good people too. Join up.

Scott

Also with have 3 or 4 african hunts, gov tag farewell Bison, elk tag and other hunts to auction. We also have allot of silent auction stuff to give away. We give kids 5-12 a free bow and arrows if they have never recieved a bow from us. If they have recieved a bow before we give them arrows.
    We can not make evereyone happy. We wish we could but that is the fact of life.

We support all types of hunting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK