Thread: Whittier/Memorial Weekend report

Default Whittier/Memorial Weekend report

Hit the salt mid-Saturday morning and returned Monday afternoon after the winds in Whittier subsided.
    Tried the 5 pots in 3 places, two new and one familiar. One new location yielded 8 shrimp. The next, maybe 3 dozen. The last (familiar) about 2-2.5 gallons after a 4-hour soak. Not a great haul over the weekend. Lots of cod caught and released. Caught/kept 2 halibut about 20 lbs, one at 50 lbs, and one at 65 lbs. The 65-pounder from 77 feet. The 50-pounder was from where we were shrimping while waiting for the winds to calm down in Whittier. Drifting and biding our time in around 400 feet when I decided I might as well drop a line. As soon as it hit bottom, got the 50-pounder on.
    The best weather day was Monday, with flat water and blue skies. Great way to end the weekend. Lots of calls on the radio for marine assistance which is to be expected given the number of boaters on the water and many for the first time this season I'd guess.

We ended up doing an early trip, Thursday night through Saturday evening. Friday had spectacular weather, even with spf 70 I got sunburned. My shrimping was more hit than miss, but we were trying out a new area, and of course you start to get it figured out by the time you're going to leave, but we did bring home a gallon of tails. Didn't wet a hook, but the family had a great time:

Hiking up an avalanche chute

Zipping around the bay in the inflatable

Learning to bust clays

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Sounds like a great trip Paul. Is that Harrison Lagoon?

Bettles Bay, up Port Wells. The pictures really don't do it justice.

I was looking through the Lethcoe guide the other night and noting how they describe many anchorages as one of the most beautiful in the Sound. Honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to find an anchorage in the sound that isn't awe inspiring.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Lots of people, lots of shrimping going on.
    Managed a few halibut in 70' of water, the biggest was 50#'s. Also caught a couple yelloweye and bass.
    4 year old daughter had a blast catching bass on her 4' ugly stck with a zebco 777 in 70' of water.
    Didn't put in much effort on the bears, too many people in my usual areas.
    Weather was awesome, 70 and sunny.
    BK

Default Thursday before Memorial Day weekend

We made a day trip out on Thursday to avoid the crowds, but I'm glad to hear that Whittier is managing their launch ramp situation better. It was a gorgeous day...in fact, it got too hot for a while in the afternoon when the breeze died down. Anyway, we bagged this baby (58" about 100 pounds, according to the table) and about 15 pacific cod which made a couple awesome dinners of fish and chips. We were in the south Culross Passage area most of the time, and that's as specific as I'm going to get!

Whop, you missed out buddy!

fish.jpg

Thanks MrFish for the report. Awesome but! We too were in the same area but were focused on bears. For the first time in PWS, I have to say, the conditions and scenery were amongst the best that I have ever seen. I must say, having the porpus swim with the boat was the highlight. We ended up with to bears, but no fish. Going to head out to try the fishing again this weekend.

Cheers.
    TGJ

P5270019.jpg
    P5270021.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Bettles Bay, up Port Wells. The pictures really don't do it justice.

I was looking through the Lethcoe guide the other night and noting how they describe many anchorages as one of the most beautiful in the Sound. Honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to find an anchorage in the sound that isn't awe inspiring.
    Ditto on the awe inspiring - we were right next to you in Hobo Bay. Flat out gorgeous.....