Thread: Juneau- Handtroller / Shelter Island & Echo Cove question

Default Juneau- Handtroller / Shelter Island & Echo Cove question

Hey all. I've got the state cabin on Shelter early aug for a few days. I have access to my buddy's boat and kayak. I'm into the minimalist type fishing-so was planning on some kayak fishing while camping there. What are the water conditions 1. between amalga bay to Shelter in a small craft. 2. How far off the shoreline do you have to get to catch silver in handtroller?
    Also-I was planning on paddling around the park at Echo to the mouth of Cowee hoping for silver or pink while I'm visiting my friend in Juneau. (launch at the boat ramp and paddle around the point on left) Last year I caught plenty of pink at Echo, but my time table will be different. First week in Aug this year. Is there any bite on at the mouth of Cowee?
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

1. From mill pond to 12 foot seas with 3 foot whitecaps on top.

2.Often trollers are as close to shore as their boat and common sense allow.

Keep a close eye and ear on the weather and you should be fine and have a good chance for coho,halibut and kings.

Quote Originally Posted by icook4 View Post
    1. From mill pond to 12 foot seas with 3 foot whitecaps on top.

2.Often trollers are as close to shore as their boat and common sense allow.

Keep a close eye and ear on the weather and you should be fine and have a good chance for coho,halibut and kings.
    Yes on both. Watch out for the northern part of handtrollers though. There's a reef that comes out and has several thousands of dollars of down rigger balls, flashers, etc. Some really good fishing around that cove, you'll enjoy it.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Good to know-so best to watch the conditions and take my UHF and listen to the weather band and watch the conditions. Do you know anything about the mouth of the Cowee? I've gotten it on pretty good authority that Cowee gets pretty loaded with silver. I think I'm going to be a few weeks too early for the river, but was wondering if the mouth is worth the paddle.
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

Handtrollers will be good at that time, try just outside the reef on the North side of the cove, but don't get so close to the pass that your kayak gets shot through the other side. When the tide move in there, you don't have a chance of paddling against the current on the North end of the island. Think about that when you're coming out too.

Cowee should have humpies in the creek and surrounding area at that time, but it's a bit early for cohos in freshwater in that area. You'll find some in the salt though.