Thread: Jet boat on the Copper River

Default Jet boat on the Copper River

I have a new larger boat this year and plan to tackle the Cooper River on the 18th. I have great respect for this river as I'm sure most everyone does. Any advise to make sure the trip is safe and productive?
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

My advise is to make sure your boat is in top condition. The Copper is no place for something to break. You know your boat better than anyone so ask yourself if their is anything that has got you thinking, like a weird noise in the pump, starter hanging every once in awhile and so on. Fix those issue and your good to go. Have fun and good luck!

Bring a strong rope and a big anchor in case you have engine problems.

The guy that lost his sport Jon will second that strong rope. From what I heard it was found half buried in silt the next year.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

The rope and anchor won't help in that current!

In all seriousness the river is not that bad as long as you use some common sense. Lots of water and it is moving along at a good clip. Check your boat out before heading that direction and make sure you have life preservers for everyone. I really enjoy the scenery along the Copper and wish I had more time and gas to explore it.

I'm not at all worried about the boat. Mostly just being abundantly cautious after listening to 30 years worth of stories about what has gone wrong on the river, most of which has undoubtedly been greatly exaggerated. I have been running interior rivers and Prince William Sound for years, but this will be the first time boating on the Copper. Will have a friend down there at the same time and have marine radios should someone get into trouble. I hope our biggest challenge is cleaning 200 fish.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I had heard the stories as well for years and was pleasantly surprised with how exaggerated they were. My wife and children were in the boat and I never once felt at unease due to them being there.

Good luck dip netting! If nobody has told you yet dip net from shore not your boat and you do better.

Just make sure you have some one trained to stomp the grate before you put in, just in case. Other than that be safe and you'll do fine. I'll be down there dipping from my boat at the same time. I'll probably be down across from Haley creek most of the time. What color boat do you have? If you see me throw up a hand and Iíll pull up on the beach and I can give you some pointers.

Hewescraft with a black top. We plan to get there late Friday, get some sleep and hit it hard on Saturday.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'd rather be fishing!"