Thread: Just ran the Lower Gulkana!

Default Just ran the Lower Gulkana!

I just dropped in and did my first trip down the lower Gulkana River yesterday and it was wonderful! The water was fast and very few snags and no sweapers at all. The river is still clowdy from the run-off but that should clear up just in time for the early kings which will hit the river in about a week. The early Kings are spotty and real numbers don't show up until June 12th. or so most years but there are 3 groups of old timers all set up at the bridge ready to go. Talked with one guy who has been coming up for early kings for over 20 years and he expects to start fishing this week for fun and he said he landed his first Gulkana King last year on June 2nd. I think that is the exception rather than the rule.

The put in at Sailor's pit and Poplar Grove are very muddy and it is about impossible to drive all the way to the river at Sailors pit right now. The camp ground at Sailor's pit is ready to go with Porta-a-potty and dumpster in place ant it is costing $20 to camp this year.

Looks like another grand year in the Copper River Valley!
    Keep your Rod tips up and I will see ya on the water!

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps
    Mile 127.5 of the Rich

How is the water level on the Gulkana?

Good and the water is clear.