Thread: Juneau-(what bite is on?)

Default Juneau-(what bite is on?)

Hey all-I've asked about this before. I keep a diary of what fish are biting where in AK. I'm trying as hard as I can to move to Juneau. What bite is on right now and where 'bouts?
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

I know the feeling about moving up there. I've been doing it one or two weeks at a time for the past 12 years. Still stuck in the lower 48.....

Bite in Juneau right now is Kings, halibut, rockfish. This 28 pounder was caught off the end of the dock last week by one of the staff at Doc Warner's just west of Juneau in Excursion Inlet. Looks like high tide in the pic. My trip up there is less than two weeks away. Woo Hoo! They sent the pic to me to get me psyched up.....yea like THAT needs to happen!
    Steve

PS- I believe those are the Porpoise Islands in the background.

yep-know the feeling-I don't need any reason to get pumped up. I toyed with the idea of making two trips this year. Still may do it. I'm going last week in July into first week of aug. BTW: where you from? Carolinaboy? I'm from NC-live in Virginia now.

My trips have always been the last week of September in the SE (POW Island) for silvers heading into freshwater. So I miss kings completely and unless the weather lays down very little chance to get on the salt in Sept. since many boats are pulled by then.Most of the time we hit the silver run dead on. The bugs are practically non-existent except when the sun comes out and the temps get near 60 or better. Then we're no-see-um bait.

This year will be my first two trip year. June 11-19 for Kings and Halibut (Juneau area) and then again in the fall for silvers (POW).

My dad was US Army for 20 years with Ft. Bragg, NC being the springboard. After retirement in AL we headed back to NC in '76 where we stayed for the next 30 years. Raleigh area and Wake Forest mainly. My Bro-in-law / AK fishing partner hired me 5 years ago and moved us to Utah.

Steve

small world-I grew up in Rocky Mount, NC. I'm sure you heard of it. I'm making the trip first week of Aug so I can hopefully hit multiple species. I've caught a lot of king and pink, dollies, and char but haven't gotten on any of the other game species in AK. This will be my first trip that I'll be there into Aug. Hey-let me know how you do in June. I'm toying with the idea of making two trips-but probably will not. Probably make a trip to Washington for trip #2.

krusty-Sent you an email with my trip details and to get the personal chit chat off the forum.

Steve