Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the best chance to catch kings from the bank?

Default Where is the best chance to catch kings from the bank?

Will be driving up and planto be in the Anchorage area around the 21 of june would really like to get some king's with my Boy. We where going to try the Gulkana but have been advised you can only drift it. We would rather try for some from the bank!! Any suggestions.

When you say you're driving up, you mean from the Alcan? Hopefully someone here can give you some advice about Gulkana area fishing, since it would be convenient seeing how its on the way to Anchorage.

I imagine your best bet for catching Kings from the shore will happen on the Parks Highway. There is a series of creeks/rivers that flow just north of Anchorage that have decent King runs. Starting with the Little Susitna (~45 miles north of Anchorage) to Montana Creek (~90 miles north of Anchorage), you'll find lots of opportunities. I'll list a few, and hopefully others on this forum will be able to chime in and give you more specific advice.

Little Susitna, Willow Creek (Highway, Su confluence), Little Willow, Goose Creek, Kashwitna, Sheep Creek, Sheep Creek Slough, and a couple others.
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtheroad View Post
    When you say you're driving up, you mean from the Alcan? Hopefully someone here can give you some advice about Gulkana area fishing, since it would be convenient seeing how its on the way to Anchorage.

I imagine your best bet for catching Kings from the shore will happen on the Parks Highway.
    Little Susitna, Willow Creek (Highway, Su confluence), Little Willow, Goose Creek, Kashwitna, Sheep Creek, Sheep Creek Slough, and a couple others.
    Check the regs, I dont think that you can King fish all those creeks this year.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Here is the link to the regs so you and your lawyer can try and figure them out. Just kidding, but do look them over carefully as they are some times hard for anyone to know what they mean. Also by that time check for closers to king fishing as with past years if the runs not strong they will close them. So far its any ones guess as some kings are showing up but time will tell.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...s.sc_sportfish

Kings and reds in the Kultina river in Copper Center south of Glennallen. There are campgrounds in the area with bank fishing. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

King fishing on the Klutina does not open until July 1st. Thank you akriverman for suggesting that area, I did not know there was bank fishing around there so this might be where I go to try to figure out what I'm doing. Does anyone know what the pressure is like in those areas? Is there alot of "Combat" fishing like I read about on the Russian and the Kenai?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    Does anyone know what the pressure is like in those areas? Is there alot of "Combat" fishing like I read about on the Russian and the Kenai?
    There are several places to bank fish the Gulkana. Therefore, it's also usually more crowded as well.
    Not alot of pressure on the Klutina, but alot of current. You'd best be running 80# braided line with plenty of weight and a stout rod. If your giving it a go down by the bridge, you'll have one helluva fight with just a 25pounder in that river. Not that user friendly down low unless fishing for reds.
    If you had a boatride up the river somewhere where it was a little more user friendly, the chances of bigger fish are better with less chances of losing your gear. I've ran that river many times and have seen the good and bad it can offer. Best of luck there.
    If you make it to the valley, you might consider the Talkeetna and do a dropoff day trip for about $45 per person (or however much it is) with Tri-Rivers or Mahays. More user friendly in places for bank fishers and some pretty nice fish go up there.
    Montana crk. and other associated Parks hwy streams in the valley can offer up some pretty decent kings as well. Good luck.

If you are looking for non-combat fishing areas I would not advise Montana, the locals out there camp on the hole and make it unavailable for anybody else to fish. Plus it will be shoulder to shoulder through out the rest of the bank. Sheep creek can get pretty crowded too, but there is a lot more river to fish. I would hit the little Su. There is lots and lots of bank to fish there, and a pretty good chance to hook up.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Fish Kings, or catch Kings?

Any stream can be hit or miss, but your chances improve with a guide, IMO. That's how we started.
    Any experienced person to fish with will do, but between figuring out the gear, the spot, the technique...and the regs, much simpler with a guide. When I fished in Florida, I found F&G to be fairly casual. Casual is not how I'd characterize ADF&G, though I have found them always to be professional. Serious, but professional.

We used to fish the Little Su with Nathan at True North, but I think he's no longer guiding. Now, we fish with friends.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    Check the regs, I dont think that you can King fish all those creeks this year.
    Incorrect. It is only half a mile up any creek on the east side of the river. Those creeks are on the east side but at the confluence where the good king fishing will be is open.

If you are willing to drive further I suggest the Kasilof on the Kenai Penninsula, it is I think, the best/easiest river bank fishing for kings, but it is crowded on a bad day. At least that is where I had the most success in that pursuit in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Incorrect. It is only half a mile up any creek on the east side of the river. Those creeks are on the east side but at the confluence where the good king fishing will be is open.
    Check again, this time see what it says about Goose Creek. Most of them are open for kings to the Parks, some beyond, and some only a quarter mile from the mouth, at least on the Deshka to Talkeetna stretch of the Su. People should know the regs, not just think they do, the regs do change, it's our own responsibility to know them. No Trooper or Judge is gonna buy the excuse, "Somebody said on the internets it was legal."
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouthead View Post
    Check again, this time see what it says about Goose Creek. Most of them are open for kings to the Parks, some beyond, and some only a quarter mile from the mouth, at least on the Deshka to Talkeetna stretch of the Su. People should know the regs, not just think they do, the regs do change, it's our own responsibility to know them. No Trooper or Judge is gonna buy the excuse, "Somebody said on the internets it was legal."
    Says they are all good to go except Goose creek from what I can see. It is very easy to miss things though and I have misread them before. But I looked them up again last night since I am planning a trip soon.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    If you are willing to drive further I suggest the Kasilof on the Kenai Penninsula, it is I think, the best/easiest river bank fishing for kings, but it is crowded on a bad day. At least that is where I had the most success in that pursuit in the past.
    I second this idea.... Kasilof open 7 days a wk...wkdays not always crowded. Just watch regs for which days u can only keep hatchery fish. PS.....Bank fishing with side planer and plug is such an easy way to fish!!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

The Gulkana can be fished from the area right at the bridge and at Saliors Pit but you muct pay a day use fee and you are stuck fishing 2 bends of the river. The Gulkana is better fished from a raft with a pit in at Saliors pit, Poplar Grove or at Sourdough Campgrounds. Great fishing from a raft!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rental
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-822-4290
    Rafts, Canore and Camps

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    I second this idea.... Kasilof open 7 days a wk...wkdays not always crowded. Just watch regs for which days u can only keep hatchery fish. PS.....Bank fishing with side planer and plug is such an easy way to fish!!
    How do you fish with a side planer and a plug from the bank, sounds great just not sure how!

thanks

Teach

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    How do you fish with a side planer and a plug from the bank, sounds great just not sure how!

thanks

Teach
    It works best with a baitcaster and 9ft+ rod. You place a small planer on your mainline. The plug will be on a leader about three ft or so long. A bead on the mainline at the swivel connection to the leader stops the planer when it folds up. The planer will be secured anywhere from 10 to 50+ feet up the line from the bead. You feed out line and get the planer to move the plug out away from the bank. You can then walk down the bank or feed a little line out to move the plug around and down the river. It's similar to backtrolling from a boat, with the advantage of not having to bring the boat back up to go over an area twice. The planer will fold and slide down the line to the bead when you set the hook so you don't have to fight both the fish and the planer. http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/...SidePlaner.pdf describes it pretty well.

Heading to the Sportsmans to get a couple plus some more leader line and a couple more MagWarts, sounds like a great method!

I'm running 65 lb Power Pro main line. I'm thinking 30 lb maximum mono leader? That heavy enough for the Kasilof and Kenai? I know its enough for the Valley.

I am SO getting myself one of those!!!

65/30 should be plenty. I have been running 80sufix/30maxima with a sidewinder planer and k-14, k-15 kwikfish all over various rivers and haven't had an issue. I've lost one setup in 5 years due to a king wrapping the line all up in a deadfall before spitting out the plug. The smaller planers may only hold a magwart or k-13, but they don't put as much drag on the line when dealing with a fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast