Thread: How hard is it really???

Default How hard is it really???

To find a place in Alaska away from town and secluded but still have access to a road and electricity? Yes, money is an object. I'm all for remote living but still have a family to raise. thanks.

It is easy to find the property. I have some for sale. The problem is more and more people in Alaska are turning 55 to 65 years of age, and this large demographic group wants what you want. The difference is they have money because they bought a house in 10 acres on the Anchorage lower hillside for $26,850.-- in 1972 and they just sold the 5 acres to a developer for $885,000.-- and because the first $500,000.00 profit is tax free for husband & wife they have $837,000.00 with which to compete against you bidding for a rural property with-in 70 minutes of three hospitals, but still remote.
    http://hopeak.com/properties.htm
    So it exists but it ain't cheap. The good news is that this type of property will continue to escalate.

Quote Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
    To find a place in Alaska away from town and secluded but still have access to a road and electricity? Yes, money is an object. I'm all for remote living but still have a family to raise. thanks.
    Just remember, that most things within reason are always possible for the determined and hard working and there is no reason to be discouraged !

It is difficult to answer your question directly because I can't show you property research for the area/town you will settle relatively near, since its name is unknown at this time. My recommendation to newcomers is travel to Alaska and see the state and then decide which area you would like to live. The place is huge and tastes vary. Never buy property in Alaska sight unseen.

This website is a good resource for pricing property in various locations around the state. You can select from single family residence or raw land. It is the MLS listing for the state. Most people opt for the general area known as Southcentral.

http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

But its only a reference. Some property could be for sell in the area you end up looking at that is not listed with the MLS but by the property owners themselves. Another way to buy property, for the patient and persistent, is to look for property you would like to own and then make the owners an offer.

Our home connects to a road and we have electricity, but its secluded too.

moose.JPG

Tons of property available in the Valley, on the Kenai and in the Fairbanks area. All semi-rural with electricity and phone.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks. I have family living in Anchorage who keeps telling me to pull the rip cord and just make the move and I will have plenty of work when I get there. If I didn't have such a great job now I would. It won't be long and I will have to it seems. I can't get a call back from a tree trimming job in a park and certainly not doing what I do now.Who the hell wants to move to Alaska to live in town??? I've exhausted the internet trying to save gas when I get there and it all comes back around to my initial question. How hard is it to leave work and more or less fall off the face of the earth? If it's out of reach financially then it's not for me. I know Alaska is huge but it appears that if you have to work to afford creature comforts you are going to have to do it around 3 or 4 central locations. That's why I asked. I gotta work, but don't want to live among the crowds. Man, sounds so simple doesn't it??

40 years ago south Anchorage was wilderness. Places like Indian or Bird Creek could be a possibility. The thing to remember is 98% of the men living in Alaska cities want the same thing you want. I keep telling people buy what you want now, it will seem cheap in ten years. I could never ever afford this property I live on today. Nine years ago I paid $42,500.-- for 15.6 acres in the Chugach National Forest, on the paved Hope Road, with electricity and phone. It has two pure water creeks that I drink out of, and two waterfalls.

But things have changed in nine years. I could never afford this land at todays prices. Yes, sometimes you just have to jump and pray it works out. That said most people could live on a lot less income it they were not addicted to buying every shinny thing Madison Ave. tells them they can't live without. Good luck in your quest. Dreams are worth the work and the risk to manifest.

AK has so many places to go and things to do that for many (most?) it is easier to get a decent size place close to work then just use it as a launching pad for your adventures. If you work in anchorage then live there or pretty darn close. Sure you can get 5 acres in meadow lakes and commute but the cost of gas and the 2 plus hours of commuting will mean you don't have any time to enjoy that extra space. A low frills place close to work means you have two extra hours every day and hundreds of more dollars a month to go and do fun stuff. AK is so diverse with so many public places to go there really isn't a need to try and own a whole lot of it.

I'm confused by your question... the Interior has lots of places that fit your description as do many other parts of the state.

Are you confining your search to Anchorage and surrounding areas? Secluded land within commuting distance to Anchorage is a tough row to hoe and very dollar competitive as pointed out earlier.

Secluded land with power and phone within commuting distance of Delta, Tok, Fairbanks, Cantwell, Fox, etc. is not particularly hard to find nor relatively expensive...What type of work do you do/ can do will likely be a deciding factor in where you can relocate.

That said- if you're complaining about finding a place before you even get here, you might want to reconsider showing up. Life here only gets harder from there.