Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 6x6

Default My 6x6

Ok I have a 2011 6x6 had it for about month and half... Well I broke another half shaft I just got it out of the shop so they could replace a broke halshaft. So out riding at eureka notice it is popping real bad it finally let go.. So two half shaft in less than two weeks.. I'm running 27 inch mud- lite xtr and I think that is what causing it. Now when I told the dealer I wanted mudlites I didn't say what size they put the 27 on it. I asked them if the 27 would be fine and I wouldnt need a clutch kit. Well it needs a clutch kit because it is a gutless wonder as well. So the questionu guys with6x6 what size tires u running? If you running 27 inch tires or bigger did u put a clutch kit in it? I'm sure they will keep warranty the parts but during moose season when these things decide to break is going to really suck, I'm to the point I don't want to take it out... To buy new tires is a hard pill to swallow as well I think the dealer should replace them with 26 inch tires.

Sorry to hear about you 6x6 probs. I run 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on my 2011 6x6 ranger. No problems to date with 200 or so miles logged. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, this is a Polaris after all.

What is the half shaft? I am not familiar with this part. Is it a drive shaft or CV that is breaking?

I doubt dropping to a 26" will make much difference. You have to take in account the tread design too. Some are more aggressive than others and put more stress on your drive train under power and load, ie mud, climbing etc etc. Keep in mind most 26" tires weigh the same, if not very close, to there 27" counter parts.

I know a clutch kit would help with power delivery with aftermarket tires but you will have to live with the delay in the clutch engagement. The delay sucks of you ask me and in my previous experience it can burn belts. It took me months to perfect the clutch kit on my old brute force.

Hmmm thats not good> I was just thinking maybe a tire upgrade is in order for my 6x6. But mine is outta warranty and I dont feel like gambling.

I wouldn't put off a tire upgrade just yet. A sturdier tire might prevent a puncture or busted bead 50 miles from the truck. The stock tires are quite flimsy.

One of the biggest problems with Polaris is their AWD engagement. When the back wheels loose traction the front tires engage under high power and stress the drive train. An instant shock is sent through the drive drain, axles, etc. This creates broken parts.

A couples years back Gorilla Axle tested every mfg's axle and cv strength. The test showed Polaris has the strongest cv's but most likely to break under stress due to the AWD engagement system.

Btw Gorilla Axles has very affordable rebuild kits and cv bands.

Yes drive shafts in the Army we call them half shafts all the same. I have looked a gorrilla rebuild kit as well... I need to call them up... Also it is the cv end that keeps breaking as well has me scratching my head...

I have a 2010 Ranger 6X6 with 800+ miles and zero problems. I have 27" ITP 589's, which in the real world are closer to 26". I have the stiffer from springs, and the shock adjustment to the stiffest setting. I have 15" of clearance, no lift.

CV's - from what I can tell by reading posts from others who have seemed to have this problem it seems that a common thread is popping the cv at max turn, particularly when reversing and applying lost of gas, or full turn and up against an obstacle. I disagree that the AWD engagement causes a full power "snap." More cv's are broken from wheeler brands that have diff lock than Polaris or Yamaha's limited slip type AWD. I avoid turning max turn and make 3, 4, and 5 point turns if I have too. I also attempt to take on any obstacle whether forward or backward at 90 degrees to the tire face and with little turn. If you look at the design of the cv its obvious that its at it's weakest when the tire is turn to its max facing outside so turned left for the driver's side and turned right for the passenger side. www.prcforum.com has a wealth of knowledge about this kind of thing.

More power - Clutch kits are good and they do provide some seat of the pants gain, they have also been reported to decrease the rpm level before the engine/clutch disengages and free wheel is achieved (kinda like improving engine breaking if the 6X6 had it). But, a cheaper and proven way to increase the hp is to remove the "restrictor plate." The 2010 Rangers all have 800 cc engines, but the 4X4 XP is rated at 46 hp and the Ranger 6X6 is rated at 40. http://www.babbittsonline.com/polari...AR/69872/69931 You'll notice part number 22 is a "restrictor plate" which reduces the manifold intake to the size of a quarter. Most guys have removed this plate and increased the seat of the pants feel or torquiness of the their Ranger 6X6's. So far there has been no reported problems with this mod. I bought my Ranger from Big Lake. First one they got in in Sept 2009 and mine didn't even have the restrictor plate, go figure. The same schematice for the 2011 model does not show a specific part called a restrictor plate, but they are restricting it somehow. Like mentioned above PRC Forum will have something about this on there. http://www.babbittsonline.com/polari...AR/79013/80767

Also, I would like to add, that once you throw away the superman cape, and view the Ranger 6X6 as a more capable 4X4 then you'll be happier with it. The Ranger 6X6 is not invincible. I have had more Ranger 4X4's pull me out of stucks than me pulling anyone else out. The Ranger 6X6 will go wherever a 4X4 will go, but with more ease, safer, and hauling more gear. If you wouldn't go through it with a 4X4 don't go through it with a 6X6, that is my new motto.

323 is breaking rear cv joints not the front ones and yes he drives it hard but not any harder than he did his 700 X2 or his 4x4 Ranger. Each of them let a front cv joint go and I witnessed the one on his 4x4 Ranger go which like 1S1K mentioned was with the steering turned in a muskeg bog fully loaded with all of moose camp and some fuel so completely understandable. We replaced the entire halfshaft(cv shaft) in camp and now the outer boot has fallen apart after 75 miles.

Are we talking a SxS or a Sportsman 6x6?

Ranger (SideXSide) 6X6. Sportsman (wheeler) 6X6.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    323 is breaking rear cv joints not the front ones and yes he drives it hard but not any harder than he did his 700 X2 or his 4x4 Ranger. Each of them let a front cv joint go and I witnessed the one on his 4x4 Ranger go which like 1S1K mentioned was with the steering turned in a muskeg bog fully loaded with all of moose camp and some fuel so completely understandable. We replaced the entire halfshaft(cv shaft) in camp and now the outer boot has fallen apart after 75 miles.
    Breaking rear cv's at least as reported on most of the 4X4 forums is more rare than front, so I got nothing for ya on that. Sorry to hear. I would be bummed if I was having the same problems. After-market tires, lifts, etc. do put a strain on stock geometry, so I try to stay as close to stock as possible. Also, once I'm stuck, I stop and use the winch. I've mentioned on here somewhere that I drive like an old man and its probably because I'm not that mechanically inclined so I don't need anything breaking in the field. If you have spare parts,and the knowledge then you can push the machines abilities a bit I guess. Cool that you were able to make repairs in the field. That is an area that I need to get better at, because I'm sure my time is coming.

I need to take it in tomorrow i have to rewire my trailer this afternoon... You would think they should have it up and going friday... I will just have to take it easy go around mudholes don't dive in them once I'm stuck just winch out don't fight it.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I need to take it in tomorrow i have to rewire my trailer this afternoon... You would think they should have it up and going friday... I will just have to take it easy go around mudholes don't dive in them once I'm stuck just winch out don't fight it.
    I thought you were fixing the trailer lights last night? You better get that wheeler and your broke sled into the shop!

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Ranger (SideXSide) 6X6. Sportsman (wheeler) 6X6.
    I realize that and nowhere in the OPs posts does he differentiate which 6x6 he has...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I realize that and nowhere in the OPs posts does he differentiate which 6x6 he has...thanks!

He has a Ranger side by side 6x6.

Sorry about that Hunt, didn't mean to patronize. Us Ranger 6X6 owners "know" each other from these forums so it was obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Sorry about that Hunt, didn't mean to patronize. Us Ranger 6X6 owners "know" each other from these forums so it was obvious to me.

It is funny how each group sticks together like that. I don't own either type of Polaris 6x6 but know a few on here that do and read enough of everyone elses post to have a good idea of who has what.

I thought you were fixing the trailer lights last night? You better get that wheeler and your broke sled into the shop!
    It is funny how each group sticks together like that. I don't own either type of Polaris 6x6 but know a few on here that do and read enough of everyone elses post to have a good idea of who has what.

My bad for not posting it was a Ranger 6x6 probably.... I got the trailer wiring fixed last night at o dark thirty... I dropped the 6x6 off this morning Polaris told I'm not the only one havign issues with rear drive shafts breaking... They toldme they will keep warrantying (sp) the drive shafts... They are going to call polaris and see what they have to say since this is not an isolated case I guess. Side note I had it out twice since I got last thursday zero lake road and Eureka.... Oh on the sled they told me to bring it in, in August lol

Just to add a quick note to the doubters out there. I bought a Ranger 500 efi (midsize) and that things hasn't been in the shop for broken CV's yet 323. See the midsize is pretty bad to the bone after all. muhaaaaaaaaaa

oh boy really I'm pretty sure I yanked you out of several mudholes cause the midsize couldn't cut it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast