Thread: Wife's Kings (and mine)

Default Wife's Kings (and mine)

Well we went out this AM for a quick king trip. I used everyones advice on my gear and added trebiles, etc. Lots of fish out there, got lots this past few days. Here is a 3 hour troll.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Side note, silvers are here as well we got one, probably 12 caught on the drag. No less than 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 herring living on the 400 yard drag.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Nice fish, Gooch and good to hear silvers are heading in.

I wish I lived in the south east

We have some silvers on the other side of the island too.. Things are looking good. We got a bunch of the smaller kings around. Spawners haven't showed up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    We have some silvers on the other side of the island too.. Things are looking good. We got a bunch of the smaller kings around. Spawners haven't showed up yet.
    Our king derby has a 49 lb fish leading but most of the fish are in the 20's.

I don't really like to hear about silvers in May. Couple of the worst silvers years I can remember in 20 seasons in Alaska were when they showed up early, would prefer to not see any till late June, early July then open the flood gates. Just my $.02 worth.

They were jumping in veta bay last week.. A few got caught.

At least it can't be any worse than last year...(grin)

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Our king derby has a 49 lb fish leading but most of the fish are in the 20's.
    The biggest I've heard about so far over here is 44lbs, on the west side, caught by a local who targets big fish. Effort is still pretty low here, so I'm sure some big fish are around that haven't been found yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    I don't really like to hear about silvers in May. Couple of the worst silvers years I can remember in 20 seasons in Alaska were when they showed up early, would prefer to not see any till late June, early July then open the flood gates. Just my $.02 worth.
    It is likely the very early Neck Lake run, which is typical timing for that run.

I managed to bonk 5 small ones on Sunday, all between 17-22lbs. I went out with my dad first and picked up 3 before 7 a.m. then I went out with my girlfriend and sis for the evening troll and they each picked one up. Lost a few over the weekend too.
    Alpine is awesome...

Got a 27 today. They are growing a little.

More reports of cohos...

3 over 40 caught here this AM (not me :-( ). Still a huge bait ball holding fish up North. The silvers are neck lake fish for sure, the one I got was 4 pounds or so. 4 AM tomorrow 270? Got a seat.

Also does anyone know if trolling season is open for commercial guys? A fella was on our drag today running gear.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

They might have a spring hatchery opening going on. Dang gooch, I wish I could take you up on that! I'll be hitting cone island in the morning though. Did good there today.

nice mess of fish! what time did you say dinner was lmao
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Don't know how you did today 270, we got up there and it was a dead zone. Two of the three boats left leaving us and the tide was ripping. We saw some bait tucked next to the rocks and decided to throw out a hail mary. We edged over, scraped up an old buzz bomb and hooked it to my herring pole. First cast was a 20# white king, second cast a 5# silver. Fun as hell on basically a trout rod. So since we have never mooched we hooked a whole herring to a nose clip on the only banana weight we had, all of twelve ounces, and he got crushed. Had a serious LUNKER follow it up to the surface too which was cool. All of a sudden the bait cloud appeared for 1/2 mile of shore and the kings went off crashing through it and jumping. Huge suckers. We had to be back at 10 so we hooked up the gear to the riggers and got 1 more king, a halibut, and lost 2 more. 4 fish total but we had a blast. 72 degrees and sunny and not a boat around. Sucks to be us. Photo to follow when my phone charges.

Hope they're still around when the first fishing guests get here next week ;-)
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

We got fogged out today! I'm heading out to the chicken hole tomorrow. I know the gal out of Coffman who is leading the Wrangell Derby. She's pretty excited!

Man you guy are killing me with these reports!

Well, I'll be there in a month. Hopefully there will be a few kings around then as well.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Fished the PSG derby this weekend. Top fish was 49.5 lbs round weight. Not a ton of big fish, my dad's 31 lb fish went 29th place. In 2008 when I fished it my wife caught a 29 lb fish that was tied for 111th place. Seems like a lot of 19-25 lb fish coming through Grey's Pass. Strange year, I've never caught so many shakers, we had 3 in the first day and a half.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Another good King day... Think I'll take a break from the kings for a week or two and get some chores done around the house.