Thread: new guy with questions

Default new guy with questions

hello, I recently moved back to alaska, in salcha and its very good to be here. I was looking around trying to find a range that rents guns to shoot, does anyone know of one? My reason for looking is im in need of a new sidearm. im debating between a ruger superblackhawk .44mag, and a Glock 20 or 29 10mm for ease of carry. my dad has a 7.5 sbh, i think i would prefer one of the shorter barreled versions, i have never had the opportunity to shoot a 10mm so thats what im looking to try out to see if i even enjoy it. so does anyone know of a way for me to test one? also feel free to comment between 10mm and .44 mag its a tough decision. thanks for any help.

Matt

Welcome to Alaska and the forum.

Well if I was face to face with a brown Iíd want at least a 44mag with good hard cast ammo in my hand for sure. 10mm is fine for black bear and any other critters you may need to defend yourself from in Alaska, I donít feel it (or 357mag) is enough for brown/griz even though I have and use them both. Some say 10mm is enough, some say nothing is enough . . . it is a personal choice only you can make. Some also say only a double action will do and I somewhat agree unless, like me, single action is what you grew up on and the way you would revert to shooting a DA when all pumped up with fear.

There is no place to rent a gun that I know of and the question has been asked many times here. If you were in Palmer I say come shoot my 10s and see what you think. Most likely some of the Fairbanks guys will fix you up though.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

thanks andy. i looked around on here all last night trying to find .44 vs 10 info before i posted this couldnt find much then as soon as i posted it i found an abundance of info lol. from what i have seen and read i mostly just need to get my hands on a couple 10s and maybe some short barreled .44s to get a better feel for each and play with size. i hope i can find someone in banks that would be awesome. if im down near palmer soon ill give you a shout on here if thatd be cool, may be making the family trip to anchorage soon anyhow.

15 rounds of 10mm, or 6 of .44 mag, you will be good either way. Welcome to the forum.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by mattman83 View Post
    hello, I recently moved back to alaska, in salcha and its very good to be here. I was looking around trying to find a range that rents guns to shoot, does anyone know of one? My reason for looking is im in need of a new sidearm. im debating between a ruger superblackhawk .44mag, and a Glock 20 or 29 10mm for ease of carry. my dad has a 7.5 sbh, i think i would prefer one of the shorter barreled versions, i have never had the opportunity to shoot a 10mm so thats what im looking to try out to see if i even enjoy it. so does anyone know of a way for me to test one? also feel free to comment between 10mm and .44 mag its a tough decision. thanks for any help.

Matt
    Nobody rents guns up here that I've found. I have however found Alaskans to be very friendly. I've been able to try some cool things up at Birchwood.

Also consider the frequency of gun shows up here. It is pretty easy to buy a used gun, try it out for awhile, then sell it back at ~2/3 to 3/4 of what you paid for it. You may even break even, but if you don't you'll get pretty close. You don't have to pick one and live with it forever.

As for the never-ending "what handgun for bear" debate there are lots of threads on it which can be searched. Ballistically the 44 mag seems like the way to go hands down. Some people just hate DA revolvers though and if that's you then a 10mm is probably the better bet if you already shoot semiautos well. I personally carry bear spray and often a long gun (in the backcountry) most of the time but that's just me.

FWIW: I have a 10mm G20 but I don't own a 44 mag.

As for the 10mm.....

Look at Double Tap ammo at the 200 grain lead hard cast and/or the 230 grain of the same. According to DT the 230 grain has about 10% greater penetration. BTW, you can add approximately 50 FPS for each 1/2 inch of additional barrel. Lone Wolf offers G20 replacement barrels up to 6.6 inches versus the G20's 4.6 inch barrel. If you have a G20 all you really need to replace is the barrel if you want a longer barrel, not the whole slide assembly. You have 15 shots in the G20 versus 6 in the 44 mag. My G20 has been reliable, accurate, and I have no complaints about it.

DT Bullet : 200gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcast
    Ballistics : 1300fps/ 750 ft./lbs. - Glock 20

DT Bullet : 230gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check Hardcast
    Ballistics : 1120fps/ 641 ft./lbs. - Glock 20

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...hvho3ggpc4v5r2

As for the 44 mag, I've fired a few over the years and they are fun. Many people prefer the reliability of a revolver and many believe the 44mag is the minimum caliber. I'd like a Super Redhawk because it's a shiny new toy but I am satisfied and comfortable with my G20 as a sidearm. BTW, I reserve the right to second-guess my side arm decision if something bigger than heck with teeth and bad breath snarls at me.

MyTime

Matt
    If you ever find yourself in anchorage, hit me up. I have a long slide G20 and Double Tap ammo plus a .22lr kit you can take the range and try out. I don't sell guns though. I had a .44 mag personally for years, both a 4" and 8 3/8" version. I liked the long bbl one better. Both rarely were carried accessible on me. Found a good chest holster for it, alaska sportsman holster. Still was looking for a lighter option. Found the G20 and never looked back! Will smack down another bear, hopefully even a tad bigger than last years black bear. I find it to be plenty of power, and it is always goes with me.

so as far as the glock 10mm whats up with the longslide conversions is that just for accuracyand velocity? and ive seen a few posts about the fouling with hard cast bullets on stock barrells how long would i have time wise or round wise to upgrade? i had been looking at the g29 for concealment purposes sounds like that may be a bad idea with the lack of velocity.

so as far as the glock 10mm whats up with the longslide conversions is that just for accuracyand velocity? and ive seen a few posts about the fouling with hard cast bullets on stock barrells how long would i have time wise or round wise to upgrade? i had been looking at the g29 for concealment purposes sounds like that may be a bad idea with the lack of velocity.
    I had a 6" stainless bbl in stock slide for 1.5 years, so the long slide came out and I got one. So covers up bbl and get a longer sight radius. Longer bbl in my testing does not get you more velocity, honestly. As far as leading in factory bbls, it is possible, have not a customer who uses stock bbl report any problems. Hardcast bullets are gas checked, so that helps against leading, but all they do is clean a bit more often and still don't see any build up problems. There is the chance of blow by with the polygonal rifleing. DT loads a 200gr FMJ-FP. The G29 is a handful to hold on to. Not sure how much of velocity loss there is, I would guess not much. Stainless bbls with regular rifleing clean up very easy, mine does anyways.

thanks for the info man, i got the shooting itch lol

15 rounds of 220gr TMJ (solids) from a 10mm is a lot of firepower. I've shot this round and I'm telling you, the penetration is unbelievable.