Thread: elliott highway

Default elliott highway

Anyone been hit around this area I have no hits yet.

From what I've heard from the interior baiters, it's been a bit of a slow start. It should start heating up in here in a week or so. Don't feel too bad, I'm here in southcentral (14a) and as of last Wednesday had not been hit.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

That's what I'm hoping . I need more scents now lol used everything I had .

here is a idea... casteroil (fish oil) get some in a spray bottle, spray your site then bait with your normal stuff... but anything that is "heavy smell" to get the ball rolling (honey burn etc.)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I checked both baits last tuesday just north of fairbanks. Nothing on both baits. Went last night and one bait was hit friday according to the trail camera. So I sit the stand last night and ended up taking a nice cinnamon! But yes it has been kind of a slow start up that way. Bear hide was in perfect shape.

yah for the warm temps the interior has been getting I was also surprised that the hide on my blackie was pristine (got it yesterday morning). Seems to be a slow season this year but things are getting hot.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Cool ,I'm heading out in the next few days to check .got some old fry grease mixed with something it stinks pretty bad,got it from the guy I got my barrel from. And going to invest in some more bait em 907 stuff might go for anise this time .got marshmellow ,blueberry gel balls, blueberry spray and a Bacon scent bell .did some honey burns this weekend so hope this week will be good .

Our bait, 300lbs of dog food in an 85 gallon overpack, placed on April 17, was empty on May 25 in Unit 20B. We are pretty remote though. It just depends on where you are an how much competition you have.
    It is pretty late, but I'd start a stink bucket right now. Throw in whatever non-game meat scraps, or fish guts, skins, etc, and seal the lid tight. Put it on the roof in the sun. It'll get good and hot and start to stink pretty quick. Carry it out next week and hang it from a high branch or leaned over tree, pop the lid, and run. If you don't use the bucket this year, you'll have it for next year. Again, be sure to seal it tight as the neighbors will not be impressed every time the wind blows their way.
    ARR

I assume you are baiting along the Elliot Hwy. I have some bait stands up that way. All stands are at least 4 years old, so they are somewhat established stands. Last year I had a few nice bears come to the stands, but this year it has been extremely slow. My cameras are not the best and have been chewed by Grizzlies a few times, but so far I only have 8 to 10 pictures of 2 different small black bears.

I'm also sending a PM to see if you are the fellow I work with. I've had problems with a few baiters in that area, so I do my best to keep to myself. I just like to bait a little, get some pictures, and hunt with my teenage son. PM back if you have any questions.

Attachment 49511

Having some problems with uploading pictures. Here's a picture from this year.

Attachment 49517
    Attached Images Attached Images

is that one of the aforementioned small bears? looks like supper to me!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

SkinnyD,

When I cross paths with this bear, I'll be taking a shot. Trust me though, this is his best pose. There's a lot daylight under him when he stands upright.

Got hit plenty this week, bait wiped out and LOTS of trail cam pics. And I mean they tore the site up! Going tomorrow night hopefully to try our luck.

so it sounds like there starting to hit around here. hope I have some luck

Default Glad to hear

I am glad to hear things picking up around here. Can't wait to get out tomorrow.

2 miles south of the bridge I seen a big boy go across the road last night. all i had was my bow so some one might have him on a bait station this weekend good luck boys.

My bait was out only one week and was hit. I have been baiting that same stand for 12 years so that helps alot. Bears usaully don't start hitting hard around my bait until June.