Thread: Boating/Fishing Recommendations

Default Boating/Fishing Recommendations

I am new to Alaska and am looking for a recommendation in the Anchorage area to go fishing. The problem is I am not sure which lakes allow which types of boats. I have searched online without much luck. I did find Finger Lake which looks like a pretty good option. I am looking for a place where I can take the kids out on the water and teach them to fish

I just bought a used 15' inflatable with a 40 hp motor and want to get comfortable with it on fresh water before doing anything else. Any Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Finger lake is good... I don't think there is any motor size restrictions there... a lot of lakes in and around Anch and the valley have size restrictions... be sure to check that out...!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I will check it out. If anyone knows of a site that lists restrictions I would appreciate it.

Sand lake is the only one in Anchorage where gas motors are even allowed. I think the biggest is 50hp. The only problem is there is no boat launch so it would take a few people to carry your boat the 10 or so feet to get it into the lake. Another option is Fire Lake in Eagle River. That lake does have a boat launch and it has pike in it. I think it has the same 50 horse max as well.

South Central

From ANC Muni code
    25.70.045 - Use of motor vehicles prohibited on certain bodies of water; exceptions.

A.This section applies to the following bodies of water within the municipality:
    1.Campbell Creek.
    2.Chester Creek.
    3.Fish Creek.
    4.Rabbit Creek.
    5.Ship Creek (excluding the public boat ramp area and downstream thereof).
    6.Bentzen Lake.
    7.Birch Lake.
    8.Connors Lake.
    9.Delong Lake.
    10.Edmonds Lake.
    11.Goose Lake.
    12.Hood Lake.
    13.Jewel Lake.
    14.Lower Fire Lake.
    15.Mirror Lake.
    16.Otis Lake.
    17.Sand Lake.
    18.Spenard Lake.
    19.Sundi Lake.

B.A person may not operate a motor vehicle on a body of water described in subsection A of this section, except for:

1.Airplane operation.
    2.Participation in a motorized event or use which is the subject of a facility use permit issued pursuant to chapter 25.10
    3.Construction, enforcement, maintenance or emergency vehicles operated by the municipality or its contractors.
    4.Boats using an electric motor.
    5.Remote-controlled model boats, cars and similar models.
    6.Boats equipped with outboard motors of 50 horsepower or less, which must be operated at a no-wake speed when within 100 feet of a dock or shoreline on Sand Lake and Lower Fire Lake, during the hours of 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and noon to 8:00 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

For kid fishing you can head to Lake Lucille in Wasilla and spend some time looking for the the various spots that hold trout. Shimp works better than some other baits depending on the mood of the fish. I am not sure which park area has the best boat launch and truck/trailer parking.