Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anyone wave?

Default Why doesn't anyone wave?

Beautiful couple days in PWS this weekend, a little wildlife, explored an island on foot, found enough shrimp, and the whole Sound seemed as flat as a bathtub. Yet with all this perfection, only four boaters, out of the the zillion out there, waved back to me and my family this weekend. I know that I'm biased but my seven yr old daughter is pretty cute. To turn down a wave from a little girl on a sunny day? The launch ramp was well managed this weekend. Everyone there was helping with lines and I didn't see any hot tempers. Hope everyone who went out anywhere on the water had as great a time. See you out there.
    I'll be waving!!

Anybody get a silver out of PWS?

Must be a big city thing. If so, I'm betting you weren't seeing many locals on the water. In small towns everyone waves. Heck, if it's a kid close enough, they'll be asking for fish stories and passing good wishes, too.

Its just the sign of the times. Out in willow, everyone used to wave at eachother as they passed by. Now that never happens. The ratio of grumpy new people is too high now so you only get one ol' time waver out of 50. Not even worth the effort.

Ya Baker, I bet they weren't local. And it IS a big city thing. I grew up in the country and everyone waved at each other.
    Can't let lame ******s affect you. Me and mine will be waving back Good luck on silvers.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Teach them to give people the finger . I bet you will get a response!

I took my top off but no one even cared......

Get's kinda lonely when everyone is being "cool" doesn't it.

When running my boat, I'm usually busy watching out for buoys, debris in the water, boats, rocks, etc. and not so much at the people on the boats. But if I saw someone waving at me you can bet I'd wave back. Yes, the help at the Whittier ramp this weekend was exceptional. The usual person was there (I'm sure she tries hard), but there was also a guy there who was quick to help with a line or to help walk a boat around. Everyone seemed in good spirits, no doubt helped by the great weather.

I generally wave at people all the time, some wave back, some don't. My little boys waved at a NOAA boat in the homer harbor and the guy waved back and honked his horn at them. This egged them on and they honked my horn back and yelled "nute nute (they penguin sounds)" at him and waved there stuffed penguin at him. The guy just about fell out of his chair. Lots of fun.

On a side note I work on the slope and it used to be everyone waved at everyone up there when driving, now days your lucky if you get one or two waves while driving across the field.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    On a side note I work on the slope and it used to be everyone waved at everyone up there when driving, now days your lucky if you get one or two waves while driving across the field.
    when i was driving up from colorado from school, i got bored and started waving at people to see if they would wave back. it was pretty bad, maybe 2 out of every 50 cars.
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Beautiful couple days in PWS this weekend, a little wildlife, explored an island on foot, found enough shrimp, and the whole Sound seemed as flat as a bathtub. Yet with all this perfection, only four boaters, out of the the zillion out there, waved back to me and my family this weekend. I know that I'm biased but my seven yr old daughter is pretty cute. To turn down a wave from a little girl on a sunny day? The launch ramp was well managed this weekend. Everyone there was helping with lines and I didn't see any hot tempers. Hope everyone who went out anywhere on the water had as great a time. See you out there.
    I'll be waving!!

Anybody get a silver out of PWS?
    HA! I remember in the old days living in Valdez you couldn't drive anywhere without waving to everyone. Everybody knew everybody back then.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    I took my top off but no one even cared......
    Sorry I was out of beads!

I normally initiate a wave when out and about on the water and sure would return one if someone else send one my way. I agree with others though times are a changing and more people are going away from that.

I also remember a time when I waved at a Trooper and he pulled me over and asked me a million and one questions about why I waved at him. Sure made me as a teenager not want to wave at any law enforcement types again. Maybe he was having a bad night?

That's a Good Question, (good thread title)

Geez, boat goes by with a little girl in back waving,...why would you not make a huge effort to wave back??
    Seems like one of those real little things, but I sure hope we don't lose the desire to wave, tip our hats to each other on the water.

Heck, I think I'm officially becoming an old timer on the water around Kodiak, moving around the harbor, or passing close by others in tight passes around the island,
    I still make sure they see me wave, just to be cool, or courteous, or just not too serious, whatever it means, to just take the time to say Hi to folks.

Maybe a lot fewer wave back these days, than in the past, but I think among the older timers, that even total stranger boats, from way out west or something, will almost always wave back.

There's something about that, hope it doesn't go the way of the big city.

Keep your kids waving, tell 'em, "It's just the Nice thing to do," and I assure you if I pass by,
    they won't miss my reply,
    maybe even my hat hanging out the window, swinging back and forth against the white house,

to make sure, even from a distance, they see my, "Hello, and Good Day to You As Well."
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I've just been wondering if the stress of the trip on the water, the drive, the tow, the kids, the morning, the traffic, the $ of GAS, weighs to heavy on peoples minds. We want to get out and enjoy, but maybe sometimes we forget to relax when we get to the water. It can be tough to get a smile or a wave when trolling in big groups of boats. Unless we all have a fish on!!

I'll wave every time (haven't you seen the boating commercial?) and I always honk and wave at kayakers on shore.

RIMFIRE has it right. Here in the Midwest I was brought up to be respectful & friendly- which included respecting my elders and waving. That has all went by the wayside (not in me, but the public in general). Not sure why, but several before me have hit on alot of potential reasons.
    In my area it is actually getting worse. About a year ago a complaint was filed on a resident here where I live. We had an elderly black gentleman that sat in a lawn chair under an umbrella by the street. He would smile & wave at all the people that traveled by. Seems someone thought he was a safety hazard because "he distracted people as they drove by, which could lead to an accident". A completely worthless city attorney agreed and filed a 'cease and desist' order requiring him to stop. I do have to say that several (about 50) in the neighborhood supported him (including me) by taking our lawnchair out to the street. Made the city attorney look like an ***.
    My point is why did we have to even do that to support someone just being friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    When running my boat, I'm usually busy watching out for buoys, debris in the water, boats, rocks, etc. and not so much at the people on the boats. But if I saw someone waving at me you can bet I'd wave back. (sic)
    Same for me, I'll gladly return a wave, or initiate one when I'm relaxed. My wife was chiding me last time out about not returning a wave, but I figure it's more important that I concentrate on where I'm headed, and what I'm trying to avoid.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Double edged sword with this one. I wave at everyone, driving down a two lane it's easy to raise a couple fingers just to say hey, but after a few no waves back I start getting irritated and grumpy. My wife always laughs at me about it. I think it is a big city thing, but it does seem to be spreading out farther. It's not just a boat thing, it's a people thing. Sign of the times indeed.

I just wave at everybody all the time. Where I come from you wave even if you don't get along with someone.
    It says; we may disagree, but I'll be there for you if you really need help.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast