Thread: Another pre-64 700

Default Another pre-64 700

By chance I picked up another very early Remington 700 last week. This one is a BDL in 7MM Rem mag and has the stainless barrel they used early in production. The SN is 36xxx; I haven't checked the barrel code dates yet but was likely been made in late '62 or early 63.

I haven't seen many of these realy guns around and have no idea how well they shoot. Do these early guns with SS barrels shoot as well as the later ones accuracy wise?

Also - any suggestions as to loads for this one? I still scrubbing the barrel out - it is filthy but should clean up fine. I still haven't shot the other one I got much - it is a ADL again in 7mm Rem Mag with a SN of 2XXX. Thought I would play with them a bit since I can now shoot both at a range session.

Other than the safety and extractor setup is there anything special about these early guns as compared to the later prduction ones? The metal appears to be better finished but the stocks are junk with their impressed checking etc.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    By chance I picked up another very early Remington 700 last week. This one is a BDL in 7MM Rem mag and has the stainless barrel they used early in production. The SN is 36xxx; I haven't checked the barrel code dates yet but was likely been made in late '62 or early 63.

I haven't seen many of these realy guns around and have no idea how well they shoot. Do these early guns with SS barrels shoot as well as the later ones accuracy wise?

Also - any suggestions as to loads for this one? I still scrubbing the barrel out - it is filthy but should clean up fine. I still haven't shot the other one I got much - it is a ADL again in 7mm Rem Mag with a SN of 2XXX. Thought I would play with them a bit since I can now shoot both at a range session.

Other than the safety and extractor setup is there anything special about these early guns as compared to the later prduction ones? The metal appears to be better finished but the stocks are junk with their impressed checking etc.
    I've got one of the early model 700, BDLs, but in 280 Rem. It has a notch, right where a stripper clip notch would be, making the scope bases further apart, which is sometimes a mounting issue, depending on the length of mounting surface on whatever scope you wanna use.

It HAD a 20 inch barrel, (no SS on the non-magnums) since replaced. The stock was like you say, Junk with the impressed checkering. That has been replaced too. However, the stock design was great for me, and I used it for a long time, before replacing it. I had the barrel replaced, and blue-printed, rather recently, and it is VERY accurate, now. I hung that little, OLD barrel on the wall in my garage. It makes me feel like a genuine Gun Nut.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ALSO, have a very early model 7mm Rem Mag, 700, BDL. I don't recall, how I learned, but it DOESN'T have the SS barrel.

It also doesn't have the "notch" I mentioned, but the stock has impressed checkering. The safety lever is more rounded, than the one on my 280.

I got another, but later version, Rem. BDL stock at a gunshow, that has real checkering, and has the reinforcing bolts through the sides, so probably came from a 375 or 338. It fits fine and dandy, and makes the difference.

I don't know a lot about the various actions, like you apparently do. I wanted this rifle primarily, because it had Iron Sights which was important to me, at the time. I talked a friend of mine into selling it to me.

I've had no quality issues, except for the stock and that was not "junk" like on the 280, just has impressed checkering. The gun is quite accurate, with FLs I've tried, and some of my handloads.

I hunted with it, ONCE, and bagged a Caribou, using ONE Fed. FL, 160 grain Nosler Partitions. If I hunted with it again, or loaned it to someone, I'd probably put the old stock back on, because the newer one is so PURTY.

Both, of my 700s had the early version of Iron Sights. They both feed cartridges very smoothly too.

I've remember HEARING, that the older 700s were accurate, but I spose I'm inclined to remember what I like hearing, so take that for what it's worth.

It sounds like you got yerself, a good little project gun, to play with so now, you have and excuse not to shoot that beeg ole 500. Gooood, Plan, there.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.