Thread: "Electrical" Heat escapement pro/con ceiling lights

Default "Electrical" Heat escapement pro/con ceiling lights

Completed the rough wiring Sat. and insulated yesterday. My question: do ceiling light boxes "Require" a way for heat to escape upward.......? Can I epoxy 2" (Blue Board) polystyrene to the top of the box or will this cause a problem......with excess heat build-up....?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Completed the rough wiring Sat. and insulated yesterday. My question: do ceiling light boxes "Require" a way for heat to escape upward.......? Can I epoxy 2" (Blue Board) polystyrene to the top of the box or will this cause a problem......with excess heat build-up....?
    I believe that it depends on the ceiling light fixture itself. Not an expert here but I beleive that some boxes are rated for "contact" with insulation and others are not. I would research the brand / model you have and see if they list such a rating.

Quote Originally Posted by CKAK View Post
    I believe that it depends on the ceiling light fixture itself. Not an expert here but I beleive that some boxes are rated for "contact" with insulation and others are not. I would research the brand / model you have and see if they list such a rating.
    Yes, I believe you are correct..........However I am insulating now, and buying fixtures in Oct. I have decided to glue 6" of fiberglass on the tops, that will still allow heat escapement, just slower.

Sounds like you are not doing "can" lights that install in the ceiling. If you are using a light fixture that connects to a ceiling box you can insulate right up to the box. In fact there are ceiling boxes that are "airtight" available for this use.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

First time I read your post I thought you were talking about can lights. If you are talking about ceiling light fixture boxes (just the box that you are pulling the wire too) AKDoug is right. Insulate all you want and any fixture you buy will be OK on the ceiling box. Sorry about "reading" more into your first post than needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CKAK View Post
    First time I read your post I thought you were talking about can lights. If you are talking about ceiling light fixture boxes (just the box that you are pulling the wire too) AKDoug is right. Insulate all you want and any fixture you buy will be OK on the ceiling box. Sorry about "reading" more into your first post than needed.
    OK, Thanks everyone. Yes, I'll just be using those cheap ceramic, fixtures with the pull chain.

Then there are no heat worries at all. Insulate and glue the vapor barrier right to the box.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks, The Foam arrived yesterday, I have a lot of plastic quart size yogurt containers that I am going to cut the bottom out of, and duck tape the resulting "Cone" to the top of the box and fill with foam.