Thread: Couple of Kiwis planning a fishing trip next year need helpfull advise

Default Couple of Kiwis planning a fishing trip next year need helpfull advise

Hi there you fishoes A mate and I are planning a fishing trip to alaska next year from New Zealand.We are experianced fishoes in fresh water fishing and catch salmon and trout here.
    We are going to hire a RV for our trip and plan to have a month fishing .
    We are looking for some good oil on the best places to fish from the bank and would dearly love to catch a good size King.Any imformation would be welcomed we are also planning to have a crack at the halibit

Go to the top of this forum. Click on the store button. Click on fishing than go to page 4 and order highway angler, and any other books that catch your eye. many good ones. It will pretty much get you going in the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Go to the top of this forum. Click on the store button. Click on fishing than go to page 4 and order highway angler, and any other books that catch your eye. many good ones. It will pretty much get you going in the right way.
    i second that... highway angler is a great book

Power Drifter has max Wisdom! Enjoy the point.

Wow I could only understand half of what the OP said.....
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

when are you planning on coming up- sounds like June is you are looking for kings... if you want halibut also, sounds like you should be down on the Kenai. If you want a chance at kings and trout, head up along the parks-- get a guide for the kings (you're already coming a long way, spend the money) and you can catch trout on your own up that way easier. I've always been frustrated trying to get kings from the shore for the most part, could just be me though. The Kenai does have it all (kings, trout, halibut), I just know more easier to access trout locations along the Parks than the Kenai, again, what I know, not what everyone else out there knows. Trout you'll find, but if you want a good chance at a nice king, get a guide and get on a boat.

Few search older posts and the archives for these forums anymore, but your question isn't new and the answers haven't changed a lot over the years. Older member knew plenty. Still do! I just Google adding "outdoorsdirectory". Have fun. Good luck.

Hiway Angler is POS! book that ruined many good and very little known to secret fishing locations I used to pleasure in. I hate that book and all it represents !

Anthony J. Route, I hope there are no fish wherever you ended up when you passed from this world.

Yes, I really mean that.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Hiway Angler is POS! book that ruined many good and very little known to secret fishing locations I used to pleasure in. I hate that book and all it represents !

Anthony J. Route, I hope there are no fish wherever you ended up when you passed from this world.

Yes, I really mean that.
    ouch... wee bit harsh

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post

Yes, I really mean that.
    forgot you owned the water. sorry for hittin your spot a few days ago i left a few for ya!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Pretty sure Route didn't write that book. My copy says Pederson. Will make sure to hit some of those "secret" places mentioned in there next weekend. Anchor River, here I come!

Thanks for the advise guys think timing is the crunch with some rivers closing 13 july for kings are you still allowed to fish these rivers but must reliese the kings.
    We will be reliesing all the fish anyway just after a good time catching some nice fish.
    If any one over there is thinking of coming this way let me no and I could help you out

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    Pretty sure Route didn't write that book. My copy says Pederson. Will make sure to hit some of those "secret" places mentioned in there next weekend. Anchor River, here I come!
    Well it is a darn good thing I didn't bet my life on who authored that book.

I retract my statement directed at Mr, Route and offer my apologies...if he can see this.

Wasup, Cus!
    Fellow fishoe here. I lived in Palmerston North for a year in 1998... am itchin to get back to NZed for a serious fishing holiday. I'm a saltwater guide here in AK and enjoy fishing the rivers for fun when I got some time. I even fished with Sam Mossman and Rick Waiklin from Black Magic Tackle a few years ago... Send me a PM/Email when you get here and I'd be happy to point you cunts in the right direction or just meet up for a beer and a yarn. If you blokes are plannin to rent a RV and hire a halibut charter (or remote lodge), make your reservations well in advance for mid-June to mid-July 2012. No worries about ordering books ahead of time, plenty of info on the net already, just pick up a couple guide books when you get here.

cheers!

Hey there Jokomontana
    Sounds bloody good to me first beer on me.we will definetly be having a go for the halibit when there .
    We plan on just cruising around fishing the rivers chasing the salmon but would probably come down your way first then work our way north.
    We have a rv already booked just have to tell them the dates

Hi, I too am going over next year for a trip of a life time Keep in touch may be able to have a beer with you and check out how you get on. Thought may get some good info off this forum site