Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: When to start fishing for Reds???

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default When to start fishing for Reds???

    My wife is taking off to the lower 48 for a month to see family with our kids and my dad is coming up! I'm ready to go fishing! He will be getting in the 6th of June and will be ready to go fishing. Salmon fishing dates, what area of the state would be good to start fishing for salmon other than kings? he woudn't mind buying a week long king stamp but not wanting at spending $100 on one after spending $140 on a fishing permit. Is there any place to start fishing for reds in early to middle June? If there where kings in the fishery that would be great for me! We do have a 17' Alumaweld with a 60 prop. Thinking maybe Homer and the Kenai but looking for ideas!

    I'm also thinking we will grab our trout gear and head up the Parks and do some camping, catch some trout, grayling and get a little gold panning in. No real agenda just wanting to get out and have some fun. Any recomendations would be great, not looking for honey holes. Like I said I have a boat plus I do have a couple wheelers if that would help get back into an area.

    thanks

    Teach

  2. #2
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    I think late June is the earliest time they come in. Im not an expert just going off literature.

  3. #3
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    There are sockeye being caught here in SouthCentral as I type this.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  4. #4
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    I heard they are in Seward.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Missouri
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Teacher,
    I am not a Alaska resident, but I read this forum alot. There is an interesting post (started this past week) about the boat restrictions on the Kenai. May want to look at that to see if your boat is OK there.

  6. #6
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    60 is to big for Kenai.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    60 is to big for Kenai.
    I would only use my boat for dipping below the bridge on the Kenai. I would take it out that way with me to launch out of Homer and troll the bay. Or run out and catch a few cod and maybe a stray butt.

  8. #8
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    There are sockeye being caught here in SouthCentral as I type this.
    See. I stand corrected.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    43

    Default

    You ought to try Seward. The reds are starting to come in now (not huge numbers), but this is also tempered by the seiners sitting in the bay right in front of fishing area. If you head down Nash road, there is a pay to park lot on your right side, that sits on a series of outgoing streams. The fishing is on the beach where these streams flow into the bay. In this area, it is salt water, so the tackle of choice is a weighted treble hook.

    The run should be getting stronger as mid-June approaches, and hooligan should be joining the reds in the same waters as well. (Give your dad a chance to taste them, here you just end up snagging them on accident).

    Hope you have fun! Make sure to get some Grayling gear. Early June should be killer up north.
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishtheroad View Post
    You ought to try Seward. The reds are starting to come in now (not huge numbers), but this is also tempered by the seiners sitting in the bay right in front of fishing area. If you head down Nash road, there is a pay to park lot on your right side, that sits on a series of outgoing streams. The fishing is on the beach where these streams flow into the bay. In this area, it is salt water, so the tackle of choice is a weighted treble hook.

    The run should be getting stronger as mid-June approaches, and hooligan should be joining the reds in the same waters as well. (Give your dad a chance to taste them, here you just end up snagging them on accident).

    Hope you have fun! Make sure to get some Grayling gear. Early June should be killer up north.
    Great info for the reds, I'm thinking the Russian and Seward both. Head to the Russian around the 15th then Seward. My dad has not seen either place. Do you know the names of those streams in Seward? When is it considered "fresh water?" no snagging? I do plan on taking my dad up north for grayling. Not sure where to go for grayling but we will find a spot, best bet streams or lakes??? He has his fly rod and I usually use 00 spinners.

    thanks again

    Teach

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Great info for the reds, I'm thinking the Russian and Seward both. Head to the Russian around the 15th then Seward. My dad has not seen either place. Do you know the names of those streams in Seward? When is it considered "fresh water?" no snagging? I do plan on taking my dad up north for grayling. Not sure where to go for grayling but we will find a spot, best bet streams or lakes??? He has his fly rod and I usually use 00 spinners.
    Teach
    The streams in Seward are the braids of the Resurrection River. Make sure you're downstream of the DF&G signs for using snagging gear or fishing for salmon in general before June 16. Downstream of the signs is considered saltwater and upstream of the signs to Nash rd is considered freshwater single hook no bait waters that don't open till June 16.

    Most streams up north have good numbers of grayling so it would depend on how far north you are wanting to go!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    The streams in Seward are the braids of the Resurrection River. Make sure you're downstream of the DF&G signs for using snagging gear or fishing for salmon in general before June 16. Downstream of the signs is considered saltwater and upstream of the signs to Nash rd is considered freshwater single hook no bait waters that don't open till June 16.

    Most streams up north have good numbers of grayling so it would depend on how far north you are wanting to go!
    Anyone know if there is a a place in Seward I can call and get a fishing report? As for up north for grayling, I would like to keep it within 300 miles. I'm also thinking of heading out toward the Kutina River for a few days aswell for some reds.

    Looks like I'm looking at three trips this month! One week out on the Penn from Seward to the Russian. One up north chasing grayling rainbows and maybe a little recreational gold panning and finally a week out on the Kutina fishing for reds again. I really appreciate all the help, I think my dad and I will have a blast!

    Question - if I take my protable freezer with me am I allowed to have more than two limits back at camp? I figure its no different than if it was in my house full of salmon?

    thanks

    Teach

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sterling
    Posts
    421

    Default

    Take the Denali Hwy east from Cantwell to Brushkana Creek, fish below the road. There was a campground there 30 yrs ago, don't know about today. Some excellent riffles and pools. Lots of Grayling.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    194

    Default

    The campground was there two years ago and so were the grayling! The Brushkana is a good spot, then again so are most of the streams along the Denali Hwy. There's plenty of them to choose from.

    You could fish grayling all along the Denali from Cantwell to Paxson then head down the Richardson to the Klutina for some reds. There's even stocked lakes on the way back along the Glenn for some trout.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Question - if I take my protable freezer with me am I allowed to have more than two limits back at camp? I figure its no different than if it was in my house full of salmon?

    thanks

    Teach
    The regs state posession refers to fish in an unpreserved state. Fillets on ice(regular or dry) or salted are not considered preserved. The meat has to be good for at least two weeks in the preserved form. Vaccum sealed and frozen as hard as a rock or canned..... that would meet the rules for preserved fish. It is a common sight to see people catch a limit then have it flash frozen and sealed so they can go back out fishing again when far from home.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •